Axiom Home Page
Posted By: Dan_P 4 Surrounds On the Back Wall - 10/21/05 10:34 PM
I'm setting up a new home theatre system. The receivers I'm looking at are all 7.1. I'm thinking about getting the Epic 50-350. My room is a finished basement with a very long back wall, but no side walls, so it's not ideal for a 7.1 arrangement. However, since I may not live here forever, I'm leaning towards getting 4 surrounds instead of 2 so I have a matched set of surrounds. Question: Could the four surrounds (QS4s) all go on the back wall? Perhaps having 2 spread out and angled in with the full metal brackets, and the other 2 mounted flat on the back wall, but closer together directly behind the listener? I know this won't be a perfect setup, but since I'll probably get the extra surrounds, why not set them up rather than just put them in storage for when I may eventually find a better room? I'd prefer not to use speaker stands. I have kids, they may get knocked over. Or, should I abandon the 7.1 setup and just go with 5.1 under these circumstances?
Posted By: pmbuko Re: 4 Surrounds On the Back Wall - 10/21/05 11:20 PM
In your case, I would stick with 5.1. Having four surrounds behind you, especially the QS4s, would not create a significantly more enveloping experience than just having two. If, on the other hand, you can mount a pair of QS4s from the ceiling to the sides of your listing area, you might find the extra speakers worth it.
Posted By: Dan_P Re: 4 Surrounds On the Back Wall - 10/22/05 04:34 PM
Good idea. Thanks!
Posted By: SirQuack Re: 4 Surrounds On the Back Wall - 10/22/05 04:51 PM
Any chance you could post a drawing or picture so we can get an idea of your room?
© Axiom Message Boards