Axiom Home Page
Posted By: Petre A request from the powers that be on the VP150 - 11/02/05 04:06 PM
I'm sure many here are aware of the debate going on at another forum about the VP150 and it's design. I'm posting this in the hopes that Alan or Ian might give some incite into the thinking that went into creating this unconventional design.

Some at the other forum simply swear that there is no way to prevent various anomolies that must occure with a mutli driver 2 tweeter array like this and bash it as simply a ridiculous design.

What was the thinking behind creating this center speaker and if possible ... what was done to overcome any hurdles such a design might create? (i.e. off axis changes ,comb filtering , lobing etc etc. )

Thanks
Pete
Petre
I've really enjoyed your replys in that thread. Keep up the good work.
You might want to PM Alan or call Ian direct.
Let us know what you find out.
I have never seen a thread like that one anywhere. It just went on and on and on. These guys love to argue. I just don't care what others say enough to go on a marathon flame war like that, gots more fun things to do.
Petre: I believe that everyone is entitled to their own opinion, even if it is wrong, dead wrong.

But, don't let that fool you into believing that opinion is the same thing as fact. It is not.

There is nothing more frustrating than trying to reason with an "idiot."

I just wouldn't worry about what other folks are saying on other boards. Period!!!!
I'm not sure which thread is going on now, but presumably this is another "multiple drivers gives you evil combing effects" discussion ? If so, this does come up from time to time -- the consensus seems to be "yeah, any horizontal array of drivers will give you interference effects as you move around the room, but big fat hairy deal, it's not like this is unique to the VP150".

Any MTM speaker is going to give you this effect -- if you look at the crossover frequencies and associated wavelengths the midranges are actually just as big an issue as the tweeters.

I have a VP100 rather than VP150 so don't have direct listening experience with a 150, but what I can tell you is "yes, with the right content I can clearly hear combing effects as I walk around the room -- and the right content occurs on precisely three early Genesis albums and that's it".

This can't be all about Steve Hackett, can it ?

Can someone post a link to the thread in case I'm completely missing the point ?
All I can say is that I love my 150, and that is all that matters
Pete, this has been going on about four years. For example, see the thread started by Jeff Kohn and in particular Ian's second reply discussing design factors.
In reply to:

This can't be all about Steve Hackett, can it

Eureka! Steve Hackett! We've been chasing standing waveforms and early refractions and all kinds of pseudo-psycho-gobbledegook, and all along, it's been a long-forgotten, second-tomato, art-rock guitarist.

I'm going to sleep a lot better tonight.

Thank God for Darryl Stuermer.
Well, that was interesting. I knew Darryl Stuermer from when he was making albums with Jean-Luc Ponty (Imaginary Voyage is on the M40s right now) but until I got curious about your post and Googled him I had no idea DS had toured with Genesis or Phil Collins.

Thanks for the info !

Have you heard any of his recent albums ?
None of the recent stuff, John. I found him to be electrifying and lyrical when I saw him live with the Genesis tour on a number of occasions; he was clearly more proficient than Rutherford. I have an old cassette of his earlier work (solo, not with Ponty) that I remember liking very much, but I've not listened to it in a long time. I like his style a lot.
Hey thanks for the responses all.

I was really doing it more for my own knowledge as I doubt that Ian and company would simply ignore design physics and make a speaker that's inherently flawed as some of the so called experts over at AVS were professing.

Seems to me there's always ways to break the mold and I always find it interesting when it's done.

I'm in the process of upgrading my family room theatre (My dedicated is already set up ... with another brand I'm sorry to say) and I was seriosly considering going to a larger Axiom system that includes the VP150 whos slim line will fit perfectly on the lower 8' ceiling. I have Axioms on the TV's in my living room and Bedroom now and have been very happy with the sound ... so the family room upgrade will be Axiom as well .

John K thanks for the link .... that looks like it might answer a LOT of my questions .
Re: Jean-Luc Ponty (Imaginary Voyage)
Wow, does that ever bring back memories! I'll have to find that on cd. From what I can recall (being a long time Genesis fan). Darryl Stuermer has pretty much played on all the Genesis and Phil Collins tours after Hackett left Genesis.
D.S. is on the new Collins DVD.
Stuermer also plays on many of Phil's studio albums.
Yes, between Darryl and Chester Thompson on drums they have been contributing to the studio/touring for many years!
© Axiom Message Boards