Axiom Home Page
Posted By: atvmichael A/V Receiver Recommendation - 11/21/05 03:31 PM
I am going to be using either the m60 and m80 front speakers for an axiom 7.1 surround sound system. I am in the process of narrowing down my list of potential a/v receivers to buy one. I have looked at and am interested in all of the following. Any recommendations would be appreciated.

- NAD T773, Pioneer VSX-72TXV, Sherwood R-965, Rotel RSX-1056, and Integra 8.4.
Posted By: nickbuol Re: A/V Receiver Recommendation - 11/21/05 03:39 PM
I have a Pioneer VSX-54TX that I think is pretty darn great. Throw in HDMI, iPod and XM connections, and it is even better. Actually, I read a great review of it in a home theater magazine a month or so ago. Can't remember if it was Sound and Vision or a different one.

Can't really speak about the others.
Posted By: md55 Re: A/V Receiver Recommendation - 11/21/05 03:48 PM
I would give the Outlaw 1070 a look. If you are not Familiar with Outlaw Audio. The are an internet only company that like Axiom offer great value products and customer service. I have the older model 1050 which has performed flawlessly for me. One feature the the 1070 has that is found on only a few others is separate cross over settings for mains, center, surrounds and rear.
Posted By: simboticus Re: A/V Receiver Recommendation - 11/21/05 04:43 PM
I agree the 1070 is a very good choice, I have a 1050 and have been extreamly pleased with it. If you are going to run M80 mains then you will need an external amp. The 1070 has the same amps ~70w/channel (I think) as the 1050. The 1050 was able to drive the M80's, but it sounds MUCH better with a more powerful amp.
Posted By: alan Re: A/V Receiver Recommendation - 11/21/05 05:26 PM
Hello atvmichael,

If you get the 8-ohm (nominal) M60ti front speakers, any of those brands you cite will drive them with no problems.

However, if you choose the 4-ohm M80ti's as your mains, limit your choice of AV receiver to Denon, Rotel, Harman/Kardon or NAD. These brands will have no trouble with overheating, current limiting or shutdown when driving the 4-ohm M80s in all but very large spaces (more than 4,500 cu. ft.).

Regards,
Posted By: DOUBTINGTHOMAS29 Re: A/V Receiver Recommendation - 11/22/05 10:59 AM
My vote is for the NAD. I currently use the NAD C352 Integrated and I really love it. When I get the extra cash I plan on upgrading my Pioneer VSX2012 and getting the NAD T773. I was very disappointed that my 100W per channel receiver was not much louder than my 80W NAD.
Posted By: thanwu Re: A/V Receiver Recommendation - 11/23/05 05:18 PM
I think you can give the Yamaha RX-V2600 a try if you plan to use M60tis. It comes with HDMI connections and video up conversion which is great for digital TV. I just got it for two weeks and i really love it.
© Axiom Message Boards