Axiom Home Page
Posted By: NEW2AXIOM VP150 problem, anyone else? - 11/25/05 04:18 AM
Just thought I would post this and see what you guys thought. As you all know, I upgraded my system recently and Im very happy with it. One thing I do notice though is that the VP150 sometimes sounds kinda harsh and "crackly" (for lack of better words) when the voice dialog in a movie or on tv is loud or when someone is yelling or screaming. Im not playing it really loud or anything like that. I noticed it a little today while watching the Lions game on FOXHD, sometimes the commentator's voice would kinda go "crackly" and harsh.

I didnt notice the VP100 doing this. Has anyone heard of anything like this before? Im wondering if there is something wrong with my VP150 or if this is just what it does and im being to critical.

Thanks
Posted By: HAY Re: VP150 problem, anyone else? - 11/25/05 05:37 AM
I would suspect the broadcast...
Posted By: dllewel Re: VP150 problem, anyone else? - 11/25/05 02:13 PM
Yeah, me too. Most likely the program itself. Try out some DVD movies again with some good dialog and turn it up to reference level. If it sounds fine, then you're okay- if the VP150 were defective, this should confirm it and you can call Axiom.
Posted By: SirQuack Re: VP150 problem, anyone else? - 11/25/05 03:32 PM
Verify your hookups also, crackly does not sound like anything I ever hear with any DVD. Are you experiencing the same issues with all material, for ex. DVD's
Posted By: GregM Re: VP150 problem, anyone else? - 11/25/05 04:05 PM
My new VP150 is not crackly, but it is very detailed and I hear every stop-plosive and harsch consonant the sound engineer wants me to. I like this level of accuracy.

If you have The Fellowship of the Ring, watch the first five minutes. The dialog spoken by whoever the female character is is very clear and precise. Also, there isn't a whole lot of loud sound effects during this sequence which make it easy to judge if the VP150 is doing its job.

Greg
Posted By: bridgman Re: VP150 problem, anyone else? - 11/25/05 04:07 PM
It wouldn't hurt to get up close and see if one of the drivers is making the harsh sound. It's possible it's a bad driver.

As others have said, if you could reproduce the problem with a DVD soundtrack that would make troubleshooting MUCH easier. If the problem only happens on a broadcast then I would also cast a vote for it being a content problem rather than a speaker problem.
Posted By: NEW2AXIOM Re: VP150 problem, anyone else? - 11/25/05 05:14 PM
I put on a bunch of DVD's and put my ear right up to the center channel and I couldnt hear the "crackly" noise. I also cant hear it when I watch TNTHD, HBOHD, ShowtimeHD, Starz or any other channel that broadcast in Dolby. The only time I seem to hear it is on the Network Channels. Like last night ABCHD was showing finding Nemo and the sound was "crackly". I guess its just the network broadcast in my area?
Posted By: Ajax Re: VP150 problem, anyone else? - 11/25/05 06:18 PM
If there is a problem with your VP150, the problem should be noticeable with every source, TV, DVD, etc. If it is not always there, then it's probably the source.
© Axiom Message Boards