Axiom Home Page
Posted By: HomeDad Denon 3805 and Auto setup/room EQ question - 01/02/06 06:51 PM
I recieved my EP350 last week and used my denon 3805 with a mic for auto setup. The system sounds good, but I'm wondering if this was the best way to get my Sub at max performance. My M60's should arrive this week and I'll have to tweek again, but I want to do a little testing before they arrive. Any advice would be appreciated.
I still use an SPL meter after auto set-up to check levels. I do not use the Denon equalizer on my 3805. It was doing strange things to my system.

Others with more advice will chime in.
I think my HK 7200 has the same thing, with a mic built in to the remote. I used it once and found it a bit inaccurate. Use the spl meter and then adjust by ear. Set it to what you like and what sounds good to you.
I've used the Denon's auto EQ to setup my sub. I find it does a pretty good job. However, for some reason it never comes close to the actual distance. For example, it estimated my sub was 18 feet from my listening position instead of 9 feet. However, to my ears, it sounds good and the level seems appropriate, so I don't argue with it.

I recommend using the EQ as a starting point. If it doesn't sound quite right (too much or too little)...you can always adjust it manually to fit your preference.
I would also verify the distance with a tape measure. When I had a 350 with my Denon 2805 it did not get the distance right either. If I recall I had my 350 volume at about the 11-12 o'clock position and the receiver at 0dB, turned off the 350's crossover (all the way clockwise) and let the receiver control the crossover of 80hz.
Posted By: JohnK Re: Denon 3805 and Auto setup/room EQ question - 01/03/06 03:48 AM
Michael, my suggestion is that for calibrating the levels and distances of your speakers the auto setup provision of your 3805 is likely to be as least as accurate as could be done by manually calibrating with a separate meter. It shouldn't be assumed that any difference between the two methods would be in favor of the manual calibration; in particular a "wrong" measurement by the receiver of the sub's distance is likely to be more accurate than the physical distance shown by a tape measure, since a delay in the sub amplifier's processing will make the sound arrive later than the actual distance would indicate.

The room equalization processing is more controversial than the calibration and there are those who highly praise a resulting improvement, while others report that the sound was worse. Experiment on your own to form your opinion of your particular situation.
Thanks eveyone for all your help. My Denon estimated that my listening position was about 7 feet farther away than it actually was on my sub. But after some tweeking using your guys input, everything sounds great and surprisingly I was nearly at the same settings my auto/room eq set the reviever at in the first place.
I have used the Auto EQ setup with my Denon 3805 a number of times and it works quite well. It does miscalculate the distance to the subwoofer, but the settings are OK for my ears. You have to test the various Room EQ settings to see which one you like best. I find the Flat setting best for my HT.
Richie, Thanks, believe it or not I had the EQ setting to off, probably would'nt have noticed without your post. Thanks
I am glad I was able to help! The speakers do sound much better with the Room EQ settings ON! :-)
Actually, if you ask most people that have AVR's with Room EQ setups, they will tell you to leave the Room EQ part turned off. Alan at Axiom has mentioned this many times that it will make good speakers sound bad.

As I've mentioned many times before, the Auto Setup is good for levels, delay, and polarity, that is ok. The room adjusting Room EQ made my 60's have way to much midrange.

My recommendation is to leave any type of Room Eq off.
The speakers do sound different with the Room EQ OFF.
The M80ti's now do sound better with Room EQ OFF!
© Axiom Message Boards