Axiom Home Page
I did it guys. My ride wasn't too happy to see...many huge boxes in his car to go to college, but hey, stuff happens.

Ok, so the pictures.

M22's. VP100. 20" widescreen monitor. Receiver remote. Computer remote. Keyboard. Mouse. Desk.

The setup with the subwoofer. Kinda big. I'm very glad I got a down firing sub! Kicks do no harm.

The computer and receiver connected via digital cable.

Custom stand for back right QS4.

Custom stand for back left QS4 on my closet. It goes up in the cabinet when not in use.

My looong room. I probably will move the desk over a bit to the center, the monitor to the center, and the speaker on to an absent roomate's desk while watching movies. Sadly, my sub cable is JUST long enough, so i can't really move it.

-----------

End of pictures!

My first experience in the dorm: Played Blue Man Group: Audio DVD-A.

Amazing.

I didn't even have it all the way up, maybe -15 db. My roomate comes in my room, "I can hear your subwoofer in the other wing." Oops. Other dorm-mates were enjoying the experience in my room.

Yes. So, comments, questions, criticisms, all welcome.

That room looks like a lot of fun. I hope your roommate is cool.
Is that a videocamera I see in one of the picftures?
Yea, I actually have 2 roomates. Two desks are to the left of mine going perpendicular to it. Only one roomate is here for our short J-term (a whole semester in a month).

Anyways, yes, that is a fake security camera. It freaks people out sometimes.
Doesn't look to bad, although I would try to find a way to separate the M22's a little more. Very creative though. When I get back to my dorm room in about 2 weeks, I'll post pics of my "Dorm Room Dazzler..."
I'm laughing at how ridiculously overkill (but in a good way! ) that setup is for a dorm room. But you are definitely set for quite a while, now!
The distance of the speakers does concern me a little bit. For listening to stereo and music, it's perfect. Each speaker pointed at each ear gives me great imaging. But for movies I'll move things around. Pretty much, my desk is in the corner, and there is a good 3 feet to the left of me. I can slide the monitor and center speaker to the left edge of the desk, then plop the left speaker on my other roomate's desk (who isn't here right now...as mentioned earlier).

When he gets back, I might experiment moving the desk a little bit in the center, since he never, ever watches movies with us and I would have to move the left speaker immediately if he came back into the room to type on his computer 24/7 while we are watching a movie in a dark room. He's off in his own little world. Oh well.

Player8, I'd like to see your dorm room setup as well. :-D How appreciative some are of a good set of speakers. Only a few enjoy the speakers as much as I do. Others come in and say, "Dude, if you wake me up with those, you're dead."

Ahh yes, college life. Sometime I have to really crank it and send out scouts to see how far the sound travels. It would be awesome if the entire dorm could hear. BUhahahah...
Posted By: Ajax Re: Mission Impossible 4: Axioms in Dorm Room - 01/03/06 03:00 PM
Boy! Do those pictures bring back memories. I remember dorm life very well. (Yes! we had dorms back in the dark ages. Blackburn House, THE Ohio State University)

The one TV in the whole dorm was down in the first floor lounge. Of course there were only 3 channels back then, and they were off the air by 1 AM.

I think I had a transistor radio that was about 5"x7"x2." That was our sound system. If we wanted to see a movie, we plunked down our pennies at the local movie theater.

Computer? Puleese! Manual portable typewriter at best. I loved it when I would get down to the end of a page and would make a typo and then have to retype the entire page.

Have a good time, Dan! But don't forget why you're there. My college education, and the entire college experience, has provided me with a rich life. Not monetarily, lord knows, but intellectually. I don't mean I'm a giant intellect. Far from it. What I mean is that it instilled in me a genuine curiosity, and interest, in a wide range of subjects, and gave me the tools to satisfy my curiosity. I would point out that a college education is NOT the only source of an interest in a wide range of subjects. But, in my case, it is what provided me with one. The absence of boredom in my life, particularly in my current circumstances, has been Priceless!
Dorm room where is all the empty beer cans?
Looks fun I can't wait to see what you can do to a HT room once you get your own home.
>>Dorm room where is all the empty beer cans?

Hey, he just moved in. You have to drink all the beer first; before the cans are in the fridge out of sight.
Posted By: KC23 Re: Mission Impossible 4: Axioms in Dorm Room - 01/04/06 03:46 PM
Now that is a dorm room. Well done!
Heh, I just watched Star Wars: Episode I at -5db the whole time. Sound probably was around 90db the whole time, peaking at 110db.

My roomate left in the middle of the movie to go outside for some reason, some other guys were watching it with me. A few comments were made.

"I was wondering if your door was actually closed" - Person in the room next to me

"If you sat there, you could feel it in your bowel region. You weren't really sure, but if you just felt carefully, you could feel the bass." - Person 20 feet down at the end of the hall

"Your door was rattling, a lot." - My roomate

"I could hear the whole movie in my room" - Guy 20 feet down the hall

So....yea. I guess I need to schedule times to listen at that level.
Posted By: Ajax Re: Mission Impossible 4: Axioms in Dorm Room - 01/04/06 05:35 PM
Schedule a specific time and invite everybody on your floor, and the the floors above and below yours.
Oh, another quote.

One of the guys who watched the movie with me who is somewhat audio inclined came to listen for a bit.

His comment: "Dude, the whole COUCH was shaking during the podrace"

I was sitting on the floor on a beanbag, kinda close to the sub. It seems the sub gets amplfied as you sit farther down the room. I might try moving the sub a few inches, with what I have.

Edit: I was able to turn the sub sideways under my desk and push it as close to the wall as possible. Seems to have killed the dead zone. Since the woofer is in the front of the HSU sub, having it oriented towards me left about 2 feet between the woofer and the wall, creating dead zones.
Ahh the dorm room memories. I only wish that WE had been listening on a system that sweet. That setup seems great for the restrictions of what is normally a dorm room. Great job. Enjoy as I know you will.

I can only wonder what a larger sub EP500 or Hsu VTF3 might do. It would be silly!!
>>I can only wonder what a larger sub EP500 or Hsu VTF3 might do.

Probably get him evicted or hung up outside on a fence post by his underwear. I think the STF-2 is about right
Posted By: RickF Re: Mission Impossible 4: Axioms in Dorm Room - 01/05/06 11:39 AM
Don't we have someone here on the board who has either a 500 or a 600 in their dorm room? Or it may be just a pair of 80s that I'm thinking of, can't really remember right off hand.
Posted By: jinhan Re: Mission Impossible 4: Axioms in Dorm Room - 01/05/06 12:56 PM
I wonder if a Aurelex Subdude would help at all?

I remember living in a dorm room, and I had a Energy 8.2 subwoofer. I got some comments from people below me and next to me about hearing explosions. People would walk by my door and wonder what the heck was going on.

I can only imagine what they would say if I had your HSU in my room.
>>Don't we have someone here on the board who has either a 500 or a 600 in their dorm room?

Actually, you're right. The picture popped into my mind when I read your post. EP600 and M60s, or something like that. It's not a dorm room though, I think it was a room on a military base ?
Posted By: jinhan Re: Mission Impossible 4: Axioms in Dorm Room - 01/05/06 01:43 PM
Dakkon had an EP600 in his military dorm room.
Dude, people complain that are half way across the BUILDING with my sub. My door rattles like none other some times. It visibly moves back and forth. I can feel our chouches vibrate with bass. An EP600 would kill somebody.

Additionally, how the crap do you go about transporting M60's (That's what he had I think) every year to and from a destination? Above all, an EP600!! My system filled up an entire car, and I didn't even use most of the original boxing.

Anyways, maybe Senior year...I'll get an EP500. For now, this system is just fine for now. Well, a lot better than "just fine."
Well I took some quick pics of my system after my new upgrd using my roommates digital camera. Now I have no idea how to post or host pics or whatever you have to do to get the pictures on the internet. Any help would be appreciated.
www.photobucket.com

When you upload your pics, just use the 3rd field that has the ]IMG[ Things around it.
Okay, I got to the album options screen, where the hell do I go from here?
Theres a big title at the top that says "Add Photos" once you log in.

It's pretty self explanitory once you get there. They have a FAQ on the website if you have trouble.
Thanks, I semi-figured it out.
© Axiom Message Boards