Axiom Home Page
Posted By: Skimble Question from the Technologically Challenged - 01/03/06 11:28 PM
Sorry in advance if this is a long post. Never actually posted on a bulletin board before!

I just ordered my speakers from Axiom yesterday and am quite excited. Here's what I ordered:

EP350 Subwoofer
VP150 Center
M60ti Towers
QS8 Surrounds

I already own a 50" Panasonic Plasma (50PX50U), and I'm looking for a receiver and DVD to connect to this. Already have a Comcast HD cable box.

I am, as the subject suggests, challenged when it comes to technology. I've been trying to figure all of this out (read the AVS Forum a bit, but it's often hard to understand and what I understand I usually forget), but I am really not confident on the receiver and DVD player. Any suggestions for this configuration would be much appreciated. This will be in my basement--the room is about 750 square feet. Hoping to stay in the $700-$800 range total for the receiver and DVD player, though that is flexible up if it would be worthwhile (also, always happy to save a buck if I can do it cheaper). I am hardly an audiophile or videophile, but enjoy watching movies and sports, and obviously would like that to be as enjoyable as possible. Would like the receiver to be "IPOD compatible" if possible, as I may stick a pool table in the basement, and it'd be nice to listen to music if I do so.

Also, I have a question about HDMI. My TV has only one HDMI input, and I understand there may be some compatibility issues between the cable box and the Panny. Is the HDMI worth worrying about, or should I stick with component cables? If HDMI is worth it, do I run everything through the receiver (cable box and DVD if it has HDMI or HVI outputs) and then to the TV? If so, my initial research indicates that receivers with the ability to do that can run a couple of bucks.

Thanks very much in advance for any help you can provide.

Welcome!

I can't believe nobody smart is responding. I'm not sure I can help, but you certainly deserve the courtesy of a reply.

First, I think you'll love your new Axiom system. I have a very similar setup, and I remain thrilled.

I don't know much about the iPod, but my understanding is that you have many options to connect one to virtually any receiver. I think you can use the iPod Universal Dock, but podophiles will certainly offer technical advisories or other strategies.

If I were spending that amount on those two components, I'd consider a ~$500 HK receiver like the 435 or 635. You might be able to find better prices elsewhere, but the company store is a decent place to shop. I would not be at all concerned about factory refurbs. I'd look to either a budget Denon or the Oppo Digital for DVD's. I believe Oppo supplies a DVI-to-HDMI cable. My understanding is that the Oppo performs MUCH better using the DVI rather than the component outputs.

Which does leave us with the problem of your HD cable box. Others with greater expertise will probably chime in here, but I did notice that your luscious TV is cable-card capable. Perhaps you could check to see if Comcast can get you HD signals through a card instead of a box.

The other thing you might consider is a nice universal remote control with macro capabilities. It sure simplified my life (and made my wife happy). Do a forum search for the $159 MX-700 or for Harmony and browse the collective opinions here.
EDIT: OH SHOOT, Tom. If you want somebody SMART to respond, I'd better delete this.

OK, working backward. HDMI. In my opinion, using the HDMI ins and outs does deliver an improved picture. Not enormously better, but worth the effort. If your cable box and your DVD player each have an HDMI output, and your TV has only one input, you're going to need a switch. Now, as you know, you could get a receiver that has HDMI ins and out and do the switching in your receiver, or you could get a separate HDMI switch like that reasonably priced model from Monoprice.com. As you can see that is a new switch, not due out until January 11, so it's quality is an unknown. There are more expensive HDMI Switches, but at a price 40% of the Gefen's, I'd be willing to take a chance on the Monoprice model. I don't know for a fact, but I suspect you could get a full featured receiver and the HDMI switch for less than the HDMI switching receivers currently available. But, that would be up to you.

There is an advantage to having the switching done in the receiver. If you're using an external switch, when you change inputs on your receiver, you also have to change the input on the switch. If the switching is done in your receiver, you only have to change the input in the receiver. If you don't mind pushing a few extra buttons or have a universal remote that handles macros, this is not a big problem.

An alternative to switching is to connect either your DVD player or your cable box via component. There are conflicting opinions concerning which should use the HDMI input on your TV. Mine is that you should connect the cable box via HDMI, and the DVD via component to take advantage of the Hi Def picture from cable. Others feel the opposite. If the budget wouldn't allow for switching, this method is certainly viable, and you wouldn't be losing a lot.

Can't help you on the IPOD thing. You are "technologically challenged;" I am "IPOD challenged."

Buying a DVD player is little dicey right now. The Hi Def players (Blu Ray and HD-DVD) are just around the corner, but will, at least initially, be very expensive. So, if I were buying now, I'd be looking at something not too expensive that would tide me over until the Hi Def players come down to my budget ( in my case, that could be about 2020 )

A worthy player to consider, among others, is the OPPO OPDV971H. It received the highest score ever on the Secrets of Home Theater and HiFi benchmark tests for video quality. It scored a 98, which was 2 points higher than the $3500 Denon DVD-5910. Customer service has been exemplary and it costs only $200.

EDIT: Tom is absolutely correct, don't get the Oppo unless you will be using it's DVI output with the supplied DVI to HDMI cable, or one like it. This would require either a switch, or connecting the Oppo to your TV's HDMI input, and your cable box to a component input.

If you are looking for a universal player (one that plays SACDs and DVD-As as well as DVDs and CDs) I'd look at a refurbished Denon DVD1920 from eCOST.com at $224 plus shipping. However, they are, at the moment, out of stock. You can find a factory fresh model elsewhere for around $300 to $350.

Receivers. Too many to name. If you get a $200 DVD player, then look for a receiver in the $500 to $600 range by Denon, Harman Kardon, Yamaha, Pioneer, Onkyo, etc., that has the features in which you are interested. That will keep you within your budget, and you'll find any number of capable receivers in that price range.

Good hunting.
MAN, there are 2 PERFECT products for your needs/wants. accept for the budget.......

I’m gona give you the information anyway, and tell you why I think you should buy these products, and you can take it for what its worth.

Ok.. DVD player.. DENON 2910

http://usa.denon.com/ProductDetails/228.asp

now, this DVD player, will blow your whole budget, for just the DVD player. On demons website they say 739$ but you can get it for about 600$ when I buy another dvd player this will be the one that I will buy.. the reason being is this product will produce the “Best” picture that you can get.. it has a fudori chipset in it.. in lamons terms, it has a chip in it that makes the video look badd ass, and is the best chip on the market at doing this.

Ok, now that I’ve already blown your budget, well just keep going…

http://www.denon.co.uk/site/frames_main.php?main=prod&ver=&MID=3&sub=1&action=detail&Pid=263

the 4306, you can get it for about 1k, and you can connect your ipod directly into the receiver…

so your orignal 700$ budget.. well add about 1000$ on to that, and you have the perfect products.. also denon+denon you can get the denon link or what ever they call it, so 1 wire, you get both products working great together..

anyhow, others will probably give you some information that will be more closely to your stated budget.. good luck with your decision.. enjoy your new speakers. And TV

SK, welcome. You really shouldn't be feeling a lack of confidence regarding the receiver and player, because if you spend say $500 on the receiver and $200 on the player you really can't go wrong. Receivers and players in those price ranges have reached a level of excellence in general performance and a decision between those available should be made on the basis of the features that you want. The receivers mentioned by Tom and Jack in that price range, e.g. HK, Denon, Yamaha, etc. would all be suitable and the choice between them shouldn't be a matter of great concern. Likewise for the player, but I'll specifically suggest that you don't overlook the convenience of a megachanger, such as the 400 disc Sony models, especially if you have a large CD collection.
i have a sony mega changer, a 400disk dvd player, you can get them at circuit city, for about 400$ and the new megachanger has HDMI output.
I can't speak to the DVD player, but the H/K 340+H/K Bridge is very iPod friendly; and about $1000 cheaper than the Denon referenced above.
As Tom said the iPod Universal Dock is a good way to go. Not overly expensive and it has a line level output to hook up to your receiver. You would just need one of these to connect the dock to your receiver.
Thanks everybody for the great information--and written so I actually understand it! I'll read it more closely and probably will have a few follow-up questions to bother you all with.

Thanks again!
For the iPod capability, I would go with a Harmon Kardon (Forum people call it HK) like Tom requested.
I am definitely leaning toward an HK receiver--based on what I've read and what you all have said, they seem to be quality receivers that should meet my needs. A few more questions if I may. Thoughts on any or all are much appreciated.

(1) The 435-Z is right in the price range I was thinking about. Looks like the 635-Z is about $200 more. Do you think there are differences that justify the additional $200 for my purposes described above? As I noted earlier, I am more than willing to pay up if it is worthwhile (though the approx. $1700 for the pieces dakkon recommended above is more than I think is justified for a dork like me). As I can't figure out if it is worthwhile, thought I'd ask your thoughts.

(2) There also is a 630-Z that is the same price as the 435-Z. Is the 630 an earlier model? Again, between the two what are your thoughts on the better bet?

(3) It does not look like these models have any HDMI inputs or outputs. I like the idea of going with a splitter if my cable box and TV are compatible, but as I thought about it I realize I'm confused about how all this works if the receiver has no HDMI inputs or outputs. How would things get connected together (since I thought everything went through the receiver) and where would the HDMI splitter and HDMI cables come into play? I will also look into a cable card, but my cable box provides TIVO-like capabilities (rewind or pause live shows) that I assume are not available with a card. As She Who Must Be Obeyed is a real talker with bad timing on when she interrupts things, having pause and rewind for sports is a big plus for me!

(4) kcarlile mentioned an H/K Bridge for the IPOD. Do you know if that is part of the receiver itself or something purchased separately and hooked into the receiver? If it is part of the receiver itself, would the models above have it? (I tried to search to answer this one myself, but struck out).

(5) The OPPO DVD player sounds like a good bet with an HDMI hookup. JohnK and dakkon both mentioned the Sony 400 disk DVD player. Any thoughts on how the picture quality of the Sony will compare to the OPPO on HDMI? If I listen to music it most likely will be through my IPOD (I've downloaded an awful lot of good music from ITunes, which is not on a CD), so the disk changer isn't a big plus for me--more interested in PQ. However, I have a Sony credit card that, with the "Sony Bucks" I have, would make the price of the OPPO and Sony pretty close. So, I would go with the additional flexibility of the Sony if the PQ will be virtually the same as the OPPO.

(6) Finally, on connecting the speakers themselves, are banana plugs or the like worthwhile, or should I just strip the wire and connect it directly to the speakers and receiver.

You guys have been really helpful. I appreciate it very much. There should be a special place in heaven--with kick-ass home theatre--for people like you willing to help we less learned.

Posted By: WJJ Re: Question from the Technologically Challenged - 01/05/06 02:44 PM
H/K also has an auction store on ebay to sell its factory refurbished items, sold with full factory warranty. I picked up the 635 for $534, + $35 shipping. I had checked other online stores, it seems the lowest price for a full new unit is around $690 plus shipping.

Wayne
In reply to:

(1) The 435-Z is right in the price range I was thinking about. Looks like the 635-Z is about $200 more. Do you think there are differences that justify the additional $200 for my purposes described above? As I noted earlier, I am more than willing to pay up if it is worthwhile (though the approx. $1700 for the pieces dakkon recommended above is more than I think is justified for a dork like me). As I can't figure out if it is worthwhile, thought I'd ask your thoughts.

(2) There also is a 630-Z that is the same price as the 435-Z. Is the 630 an earlier model? Again, between the two what are your thoughts on the better bet?

Just my opinion, but I don't think the extra $200 is worth it. Were it I, I'd go with the 435Z. The 630Z is, indeed, as earlier model. Doesn't have PLIIx, I don't believe. Again, the 435Z would be my choice.

In reply to:

(3) It does not look like these models have any HDMI inputs or outputs. I like the idea of going with a splitter if my cable box and TV are compatible, but as I thought about it I realize I'm confused about how all this works if the receiver has no HDMI inputs or outputs. How would things get connected together (since I thought everything went through the receiver) and where would the HDMI splitter and HDMI cables come into play? I will also look into a cable card, but my cable box provides TIVO-like capabilities (rewind or pause live shows) that I assume are not available with a card. As She Who Must Be Obeyed is a real talker with bad timing on when she interrupts things, having pause and rewind for sports is a big plus for me!

I need to straighten something out immediately because there is a difference between an HDMI "SPLITTER," and an HDMI "SWITCH," and I wouldn't want you to end up with the wrong device. An HDMI "SPLITTER" enables the signal from one source to be sent to several displays.

An HDMI "SWITCH" enables the signals from several sources to be sent to one display.

If you decide to go in this direction, be sure you get an HDMI "SWITCH," not an HDMI "SPLITTER."

Using a switch, no video would go through the receiver. You'd run an HDMI cable from both your cable box and DVD player to the 2 inputs on the switch, and then a single HDMI cable from the switch to your TV. For audio, you would run a digital audio cable (either coaxial or optical) from both your cable box and DVD Player to your receiver.

The down side to this is when you switch from, say, watching TV to watching a video, you have to switch the audio source in the receiver, AND the video source in the switch. The switches have remotes, so it isn't all that complicated. If you use a universal remote with macro capability, as I do, this is no problem at all.

If you were able to run both the audio AND the video through the receiver (either by eschewing HDMI connections and using component video connections from your sources to the 435Z, or by using a much more expensive receiver with HDMI switching) you would only have to change one setting in the receiver which would switch BOTH the audio and the video at the same time.

In reply to:

(4) kcarlile mentioned an H/K Bridge for the IPOD. Do you know if that is part of the receiver itself or something purchased separately and hooked into the receiver? If it is part of the receiver itself, would the models above have it? (I tried to search to answer this one myself, but struck out).

I'm STILL IPOD challenged!

In reply to:

(5) The OPPO DVD player sounds like a good bet with an HDMI hookup. JohnK and dakkon both mentioned the Sony 400 disk DVD player. Any thoughts on how the picture quality of the Sony will compare to the OPPO on HDMI? If I listen to music it most likely will be through my IPOD (I've downloaded an awful lot of good music from ITunes, which is not on a CD), so the disk changer isn't a big plus for me--more interested in PQ. However, I have a Sony credit card that, with the "Sony Bucks" I have, would make the price of the OPPO and Sony pretty close. So, I would go with the additional flexibility of the Sony if the PQ will be virtually the same as the OPPO.

I don't think the picture from the Sony would be as good as the picture from the Oppo. The question is, would you notice the difference. Most of us average folks, who are not hip to macroblocking, and edge enhancement, and other video problems, wouldn't. However, being anal retentive, I get caught up in the old "even if I can't see it, I just might know it's there, and it would bother me anyway" trap.

Does the Sony have an HDMI or DVI video output? If not you could connect it to one of your TV's component inputs, thus freeing the HDMI input on your TV for your Hi Def cable box. This would eliminate the need for the HDMI switch. You would still have to switch two things, like you did with the switch; the audio source in the receiver, and the video source in your TV. But, though sacrificing a little picture quality with the Sony by connecting via a component hookup (which you may or may not notice), you'd save the cost of the HDMI switch. Decisions, decisions. It's all so confusing, isn't it?

In reply to:

(6) Finally, on connecting the speakers themselves, are banana plugs or the like worthwhile, or should I just strip the wire and connect it directly to the speakers and receiver.

Mixed thoughts on this. The conventional wisdom is, neither connection is sonically superior to the other (assuming the connection is properly made), and unless you're going to be unplugging and replugging your speakers often, banana plugs are not necessary, and only put one more link in the chain where things could go wrong. That being said, I use banana plugs. No, I don't unplug my speakers often. But when I do, it sure is easier to do it with bananas. The binding posts on many receivers are very close together and screwing and unscrewing them (no cracks, Peter ) in those tight quarters can be a real pain in the fingers. Literally!

I used to be a very competent solderer, but like any art, unless you practice it often, you STINK at it. This is an apt description of my current soldering skills. So, I use these (or ones like them) on the receiver end of my speaker cables.

Dual Banana Plugs

Screws tighten the wire to the banana plug. NO SOLDERING! Whew!

And these on the speaker end of the cables, where possible.

Screw Type Banana Plugs

As you can see, they just screw apart and you insert about 1/2 inch of bare wire through the hole in the bottom half of the plug, fan out the wire evenly, bend in down over the top edge of the bottom half of the plug and screw the top half back on. Viola. NO SOLDERING! Whew!

My surrounds, which hang on the wall, don't have room for banana plugs, so I just use a bare wire connection for those.

But remember. These are NOT going to sound any better than bare wire connections, and are a heck of a lot more expensive.

In reply to:

You guys have been really helpful. I appreciate it very much. There should be a special place in heaven--with kick-ass home theatre--for people like you willing to help we less learned.

You're very welcome. Probably all of us have been helped, by others, to understand this complicated hobby. I know I STILL get help here, and at other forums. We just enjoy helping each other avoid the mistakes we ourselves have made, and aid in the selection of equipment that will please and satisfy.

I hope you saved this post in Word on something similar. You just have to cut andd paste to answer questions.

Nice post.
Ajax...are those the ridiculously expensive monster cables I see there.... *gasp*
Posted By: Wid Re: Question from the Technologically Challenged - 01/05/06 04:49 PM

You didn't see they say Radio Shack on them.
Thanks Doug. Sometimes, when I think I actually have enough knowledge to be of some help, I get so excited that I get carried away.

You're right! I shoulda saved that post in a word document. Did I think to do that? NOOOOOOOO!
Ajax: Thanks very much. That information is extremely helpful. I probably would have screwed up on the splitter vs. switch question even though someone was nice enough to post a link directly to what I need. The information about the wire hook-ups also is great.

Based on this information, I am leaning toward the 435-Z and the Oppo. I probably wouldn't notice the difference between the Oppo and the Sony, but I too definitely fall into the "even if I can't see it, I just might know it's there, and it would bother me anyway." Since my main purpose is movies not music, seems like the better choice.

And thanks WJJ. I'll check that e-bay auction site out. (Well, with the help of my wife, who actually knows how e-bay works).

Any other thoughts folks have is appreciated. I am getting more and more interested in this stuff as I learn more about it (it at first was purely a chore trying to figure this out--which is why I've put it off for at least six months).

And--my new speakers were just delivered to my office! Had them delivered here rather than at home so they don't sit in the rain. I'll get them home this weekend.
The iPod bridge is a separate part, but it only works with the x40 series of receivers (currently 140, 240, and 340, I think). It allows you to control the 'pod with H/K remote (if you enjoy that kind of pain) and displays the track list on the front panel or OSD of the receiver.
Ajax, do the Radio Shack bananna cables protrude from the back of QS8/QS4 speakers? Does this make them unmountable on the wall brakets?

I really need some sort of easy-does-it connection because I will be moving my speakers every year. I almost punched out the stupid binding posts on the back of my receiver when I found out I had to spend another 5 minutes screwing/unscrewing a cable when I connected the Center speaker to the Front Left connection. Banana clips would take all of....a half a second.

The binding posts on the axiom speakers are much nicer, and don't muck up and bend the bare wire ends out of shape like the receiver ones do. I guess I could just run bare wire on the speaker side, but all around banana clips might be nice.
It's not particularly feasible to use banana plugs with the QS series; they do stick out. Bare wire is a (slightly) more reliable connection, anyway...
It sounds like I should just install the banana clips on the receiver end. That is the only one that takes a long time.
Amen to that, brother. That's how I've got it; bananas on the receiver, bare wire on the speakers.
What banana's are you using? $7 a pair looks pricy to me.

I'm liking these $4 ones, dual, less work. I really don't think gold matters.
Dan:
Make sure the receiver will take "dual".... sometimes the spacing isn't right!

I'm using these which I got at Radio Shack:

Nice heatshrinking!
In reply to:

Nice heatshrinking!

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think those are crimping banana clips. There is heatshrinking around the metal crimping part, which you...crimp.
Oh, Dan...

I mean the heatshrink bit. I know those are crimping or screw type.
Oh, my point was that when I saw them in the store, crimping things usually always have some sort of plastic covering or "heatshrink" included.

Like here

But yes, it looks very nice.
in case anyone doesn't know, you can use banana plugs on QS-8s if you use the Full Metal Brackets. those'll give you enough clearance. i'm not sure about the QS-4s though...
You may want to give Audiogon and Videogon a try. I haven’t bought from there, but many others have with great results. They are on-line second hand bulletin boards.

A note on speaker connectors…..The banana’s are the way to go on the receiver end. Especially with the upgratis bug that you are most assuredly going to get, especially if you hang around here much. I’ve literally spent thousands of dollars I’d have never thought to spend if it weren’t for hanging out here……

But for connecting the wires at the speakers, I’d go with spade connectors. Yes, they are tight to get to, but there’s only two. And Axiom sends you cute little plastic wrenches that I just leave hanging on the binding post. The real reason I say spades, is 1) bare wire into the posts is sorta goofy. The cap puts twisting pressure on the wire and actually bends and cuts it. Several on / offs and you have to re-strip the wire. Not a big deal, but just not right either. 2) the posts are at an upward angle. When you use banana’s, the wires are forced up into the air. With the spade connectors, the wires lay naturally on the floor. Are these big deals worth worrying about??? NO! But, they bothered me every time I looked at the damn things until I finally ordered pre made cables from Axiom.

The posts do have holes through them for the wires. I haven't had that much problem with strands getting cut.
© Axiom Message Boards