Axiom Home Page
Posted By: mincone Audio Video Magazines, which is better ? - 01/08/06 05:15 PM
What is the Audio / Video Magazines of choice of our members?

John
Sounds like a poll question to me.
Posted By: Ken.C Re: Audio Video Magazines, which is better ? - 01/08/06 05:45 PM
None of the above.
Posted By: Ajax Re: Audio Video Magazines, which is better ? - 01/08/06 05:47 PM
LOL! Score one for the young man from the Bay area.
Posted By: jinhan Re: Audio Video Magazines, which is better ? - 01/08/06 05:51 PM
Personally, I rely on internet HT sites and forums to get information about current and future products.
Posted By: mincone Re: Audio Video Magazines, which is better ? - 01/08/06 05:51 PM
I was thinking of subscribing to an audio video magazine and was asking the members what they are reading. I use to read audio review and video review mag. About 20 years ago

John

Posted By: mincone Re: Audio Video Magazines, which is better ? - 01/08/06 05:53 PM
So do I, mostly use Audioholics.

http://www.audioholics.com/index.html
Posted By: Wid Re: Audio Video Magazines, which is better ? - 01/08/06 05:56 PM

One magazine I used to get and enjoyed was The Sensible Sound. I currently subscribe Stereophile and Sound and Vision. Quite honestly the online sites are more informative than either one of these.
Link
Posted By: mincone Re: Audio Video Magazines, which is better ? - 01/08/06 06:23 PM
Thanks all,

I just purchased a copy of Sound & Vision and I don't think the info is as good as the older mags.

John
Posted By: littleb Re: Audio Video Magazines, which is better ? - 01/08/06 07:34 PM
I'm with you, there, Ken. I'm afraid in the audio world you must depend on the kindness of strangers.
Audio was a good mag, and I'm not just saying that in case Alan's around!

I used to get Stereo Review (now Sound and Vision) for about 15 years. Currently, I get Sound and Vision, Home Theater, and Stereophile. Out of them, I like Home Theater best.

Sound and Vision has leaned further and further towards the beginner with no depth at all to their reviews and too many "how to buy a plasma"-type articles that are geared for the Best Buy and Circuit City-level of buyers. Also, it feels like every third article is about iPods and iPod gadgets. Stereophile is, in my personal opinion, a joke filled with completely subjective, biased, BS reviews of equipment that no one can afford anyway. I do like how passionate they are about music, though, with in-depth interviews of artists and reviews of discs. As long as I've been getting Sound and Vision, I'm going to let it lapse. Stereophile was a one-year affair because of an offer for $1 an issue. I feel dirty and in need of a shower for even ordering it.

That leaves Home Theater, which I'll continue subscribing to. They review a range of equipment from inexpensive to what I consider moderately high-end, and don't get too bogged down with portables, etc.

The only website where I read reviews is Audioholics.

Despite my rants, the best thing, especially if you're new to the hobby, is pick up a few issues of each and decide for yourself!
Posted By: JohnK Re: Audio Video Magazines, which is better ? - 01/09/06 02:38 AM
John, a lot of what masquerades as serious reviews in audio magazines is pure drivel. Sound & Vision is less afflicted with the problem and is worth reading(at least from the library). As far as something for a subscription, try The Sensible Sound, which actually is more sensible than most.
I enjoy Widescreen Review. Mostly for their DVD reviews. They focus on the technical quality of the discs.

I believe you can get a subscription to Home Theatre on amazon.com for only $10/year. At that price it's almost silly not to give it a shot.

...yep, I just checked, it is indeed only $10/year.

Posted By: RickF Re: Audio Video Magazines, which is better ? - 01/09/06 11:53 AM
No mailed A/V magazines for me, all of my reading comes from poking around the internet and the only forums I typically visit are here (Alan has some absolutely excellent articles) and the Audioholics site with an occasional visit to the Club Rotel site.

I don't want to take in too much information because I may get too smart for my own good...I've seen that happen to others.
© Axiom Message Boards