Axiom Home Page
Posted By: SirQuack Aspect Ratio's Number of DVD's Region Video - 01/13/06 03:33 AM
Often I see the question about how many DVD titles are there for each Aspect Ratio. This link gives you the details...fyi

The big ones are as follows:
1.33:1 11,395
1.78:1 848 (this actually is ratio for HD)
1.85:1 6,408
2.35:1 2,995

I was looking at my DVD collection and it is split about 50/50 for 2.35 and 1.85.

http://www.imdb.com/Sections/DVDs/AspectRatios/

I was, at first, a little surprised about the number of full screen DVDs compared to the others out there, according to your numbers. But, I guess that most studios are still making wide screen and full screen copies of their DVDs, and the wide-screen ratios vary from movie to movie. Interesting, though. Are there any numbers on trends? For example, I would assume that, when DVD first came out, full screen was the standard, but that this has begun changing. I wonder what the ratio of DVDs pressed today are full-screen only vs wide-screen only.
Posted By: Ken.C Re: Aspect Ratio's Number of DVD's Region Vid - 01/13/06 04:32 PM
Well, if you consider that many, many DVDs these days are formerly TV broadcasts (and old ones at that), it starts making more sense. I think very few producers are going to inverse pan and scan to make the TV show widescreen, if that's even possible! Plus, for every box set of a TV show, there's probably 4-6 discs in the box.
It would be interesting to see the results weighted based on sales.
© Axiom Message Boards