Axiom Home Page
Posted By: RPatn Sub and Surrounds questions - 01/23/06 05:54 PM
I'm about to place an order for M60s, VP150, and maybe more, but I have a couple of questions first --

- Because of space, room layout, and wife's preferences, I am considering a compact sub -- either the Sunfire Super Jr. or the new Paradigm Ultracube 10. Does anybody have experience/opinions of these? I am also considering ordering an EP500 to test out the fit...

- Also for the same reasons, I am likely to use some in-walls for the surrounds, likely the Aperions. My question here is -- what is the downside of non-brand matching speakers? Homedad, I noticed you have mixed Axiom/Aperions -- how do you like the setup?

Like many I have a pretty large extended room - the main HT area is 13 x 17, with an open back into a kitchen & dining area that is 22 x 15, so a total room length of 32. A new 50" TV and M60s will be against the 13' wall.

Thanks for the input, I've really enjoyed the info on these forums the past few weeks!
Posted By: JohnK Re: Sub and Surrounds questions - 01/24/06 02:58 AM
RP, welcome. Design techniques such as using a driver with a very long excursion capability and applying high amplifier power to it can to a certain extent compensate for size in a sub, but in general a good big one will beat a good little one. Users are generally satisfied with the Sunfires, but if you can possibly fit in the EP500, you'll get significantly more capability.

On the size of your room, keep in mind that there's no requirement for it to be "filled" to the farthest reaches at adequate loudness levels; this is usually only needed at your regular listening position, which probably would be about 10-12' away. The M60s should serve excellently when powered by any of the receivers with ratings in the 100 watt area.
Posted By: HomeDad Re: Sub and Surrounds questions - 01/24/06 03:24 AM
RP again welcome, The Aperion/Axiom mix works well for me, I think the downside of non-brand matching speakers is the tonal quality may be different. I haven't noticed on my mix and love the sound , but I'm not as experienced as many on this board. The Aperions are great speakers and I have no regrets, but if I was to do it over I probably would have gone all Axiom. Also I think once you hear the EP500, you'll make it fit, that sub is incredible.
Posted By: bugbitten Re: Sub and Surrounds questions - 01/24/06 04:14 AM
Welcome!

IMHO you get a different surround sound from Axiom's QS8s or 4s and Aperion 534s because of their design than the inwall/ceiling series.
Posted By: RPatn Re: Sub and Surrounds questions - 01/24/06 07:05 AM
Thanks much for the replys, guys. I am going to match the speaker setup with either a Denon 3805 or a Yamaha 2600, so I will have plenty of power to fill the room. At this point, and only over the last couple of days, I'm coming to the conclusion that I'll try to fit the EP500 and step down to the high-powered compact sub if that doesn't fit.

Surround wise, I'd rather go with the QS8s, but I probably have to compromise on estetics (and sound) and go with the in-walls.

I'm ordering this week, so I'll be back with more questions around setup time, and be a lurking sponge until then.

- Rp
Posted By: HomeDad Re: Sub and Surrounds questions - 01/24/06 03:12 PM
Good choices, you'll love the system. If you don't mind the wait you could save some $ by going through the outlet.
Posted By: KC23 Re: Sub and Surrounds questions - 01/24/06 11:59 PM
Rocket 10 inch

This one is pretty small. Good for mostly movies. Not as good for music. Its flat down to about 24.

Psst ... buy your wife something really nice and then get the EP500.
© Axiom Message Boards