Axiom Home Page
Posted By: KaylinR Pics of DIY Acoustic Treatment - 01/31/06 09:16 PM
I thought I'd post some pictures of my attempt to add some acoustic treatment to a troublesome corner in my listening area.

I don't know if the "clap test" is really very scientific, but I don't get the same ringing echo when I clap in front of my right front speaker anymore. I also noticed the sound seems to come from in front of me more now. I originally felt the sound was very enveloping, but quickly sounded poor at higher volumes. Now the sound is more oriented in front of me and seems to hold together and higher levels.

Another distinct possibility is that this is all in my head and I'm hearing things. I did, after all, spend a few hours making these so I want them to be helpful.

I made the wooden hangers out of some scraps I had in the wood shop. The end caps are solid Cocobolo. The middle section is made from Walnut, Cherry, Maple burl, and Cocobolo. The actual hanging part is hand sewn leather which was purchased in the form of floor mats at Linens and Things.

Posted By: SirQuack Re: Pics of DIY Acoustic Treatment - 01/31/06 09:42 PM
Interesting, and it looks good with your other room colors. I like the vintage speakers..
Posted By: KaylinR Re: Pics of DIY Acoustic Treatment - 01/31/06 09:44 PM
Those are my monster surrounds until I can pony up for some QS8s. I've actually read some decent reviews of those old Mach Ones, but who know what those reviewers were comparing them to.
Posted By: pmbuko Re: Pics of DIY Acoustic Treatment - 01/31/06 10:15 PM
Those things really look good. I like how you put some work into the wooden blocks they're hanging from. I could use something like those in my room. I definitely have some echo between my two furthest apart walls.
Posted By: MarkSJohnson Re: Pics of DIY Acoustic Treatment - 02/01/06 03:07 AM
Yeah, the woodworking looks excellent!
Posted By: Merkaba Re: Pics of DIY Acoustic Treatment - 02/01/06 12:08 PM
Nicely done.

I grew up listening to Led Zeppelin, The Who, etc pumping out of a set of Realistic Mach One's. They can definitely rock!
Posted By: RickF Re: Pics of DIY Acoustic Treatment - 02/01/06 12:40 PM
Very nice KaylinR! The wood is beautiful and the design in the material goes very nice with your surroundings.
© Axiom Message Boards