Axiom Home Page
Posted By: Tharkun New Home For The Toys (pics) - 02/02/06 03:11 AM
After using the roll-out cabinet for several months, the decision to replace it with something that would work better was eventually accpeted a month or so ago. A few of the issues with the cabinet I built is that it's really causing problems with the marble floor. That could be resolved by replacing the casters, but also the new center speaker will not fit, and also not comfortable about the Sony TV, I do not like the possibility of it crashing to the floor at some point.

In the last few weeks I have decided to go with the original plans and just pay the price and install some equipment racks. Almost all of the componets are rack mountable and the two or so that are not, I will order the rack mount adapters. I had decided to go with a company called Midatlantic Products, since they seem to have a good selection of racks and accessories.
After having the opinions from a few friends that have had experiance with racks, the final decision was to go with two of the AX-SXR-24 which has the 31" extension tracks. Once the rack is rolled out, it rotates 60 degress to allow full access to the rear of the components.
Yesterday and today, most of the pieces had arrived, so I assembled the units this afternoon. The two large items in the picture below are rough in pan and the base with the 6 top ball bearings, and there are four on the bottom.

These are all of the parts. Each rack arrives in three packages, all pieces are marked as to their loacation, and the instructions are well written and easy to understand. MA packages things well, as there was no damage or missing parts.

In a short time I had both units assembled. The one on the left has the optional Silver Anodized vent panels in place, also the rack brackets for the Halo amps. I tossed in the no longer used BFD to see how it fit. lol

The trim panel on the bottom will be replaced with the Silver Anodized when it arrives. This panel locks the rack into place, along with concealing the tracks that the extensions connect to. The rack screws will be replaced when the Silver Anodized ones arrive. Hopefully, once all is done, the silver will blend in with the componets, if not, there is an optional trim cover piece available to solve the issue.

The rear of the racks have lacer bars as well as another set of rails and lacer bars attached to the rough in pan. This should give a good handle on cable management.

This is the rack as it will look when it rolls out on the extension tracks and is rotated the 60 degrees.

In the top cover of each rack there are provisions for two vent fans, so I don't see heat being an issue. While redoing the entertainemt system storage for the third time now, I ordered two of the AXS -Fans to be connected to the FC-4-1C. Installing them now may save me headaches trying to add then later on.
This week I hope to find the time to make a trip to the local Home Depot and pick up the materials to build the cabinets. Not looking forward to tearing down the complete system while trying to keep it operational over the time it will take to install the new storage system.
Posted By: Ray3 Re: New Home For The Toys (pics) - 02/02/06 03:30 AM
Dennis - great looking place! I understand better what you were explaining to me about the seating distance. BTW - is someone STILL not done with their floor tiles?

As an aside, I have the basement framed and the electrical almost roughed in (finish this weekend). Then I insulate the perimeter and ceiling and the drywall guy will hang the boards the week on 2/20. Starting to get real. Things should happen pretty quickly after that and then I can share some pictures.

Ray
Posted By: ratpack Re: New Home For The Toys (pics) - 02/02/06 03:34 AM
WOW!!!!

What a GREAT setup!!!!
Posted By: Tharkun Re: New Home For The Toys (pics) - 02/02/06 03:38 AM
Well the floor tile project has been delayed beacaue of health issue, vacations, and the fact I will not work on it when its over 100 degrees outside.
Total area I'm doing is about 1,300 sq feet, so ya, its taken a while, but it will be done before summer, but the rack system was a must, before I finish the tile in that area and only break some more. lol
Posted By: Tharkun Re: New Home For The Toys (pics) - 02/02/06 03:40 AM
Sounds like you are making good progress, you will be finished before I. Be sure to post some pics Ray.
Posted By: bugbitten Re: New Home For The Toys (pics) - 02/02/06 04:09 AM
Please. No offense intended. It really reminds me of the erector sets of my youth.
Posted By: Tharkun Re: New Home For The Toys (pics) - 02/02/06 04:15 AM
About the same principle and just as easy......just a lot more costly. lol
Posted By: bigwill2 Re: New Home For The Toys (pics) - 02/02/06 04:46 AM
Did you consider just downscaling the center channel a bit?
Or did you not want it in the cabinet anymore?
Posted By: Tharkun Re: New Home For The Toys (pics) - 02/02/06 04:52 AM
The problem was casued by changing over from the Axioms, the 850s are a bit taller than the 80s, and I built the cabinet to fit the 80s. I'm happy with having the front, center, and rears all matched, so changing the center to something else was not an option in my thinking.
But having everything in a roll-out is just not practical in my case, so time to resolve the issue.
Posted By: michael_d Re: New Home For The Toys (pics) - 02/02/06 05:26 PM
I like them. I think I might just do that as well, instead of building wood shelves. How can components mount into the rack if they are not ‘rack mount’ components? I’m not seeing shelves that they could rest on.

What is the cost of one of these things?

Posted By: Tharkun Re: New Home For The Toys (pics) - 02/02/06 05:46 PM
There are several types of Rackshelves availabe from MA. Since the rack is a standard 19", most any rack mount accessory will work with a rack.
The RSH Custom Rackmount Series is a bit more costly, but MA has over 8k components in the data base and if you have one that is not, you ship the unit to them, they pay return freight, and they will make the rack shelf you need.
As for costs, that depends on which rack system you want, and the size. I went with a dealer in Utah called Performance Audio, and would recommend them, prices are good and have had great service from them, orders processed and shipped within 24 hours.
Posted By: pmbuko Re: New Home For The Toys (pics) - 02/02/06 06:39 PM
Wait wait wait wait, WAIT a minute. There are no women in your household, correct? What in god's name is Lifetime doing on the television?
Posted By: Tharkun Re: New Home For The Toys (pics) - 02/02/06 06:46 PM
Who knows, Tivo had been running and when it ended, at times it picks random channels. I was busy with the racks and was not about to go change it at the time. lol
Posted By: pmbuko Re: New Home For The Toys (pics) - 02/02/06 07:11 PM
I just couldn't let you slide on that one.
Posted By: oz350z Re: New Home For The Toys (pics) - 02/02/06 11:10 PM
Great looking rack. I can't believe I'm saying this to a guy.
I like that you can get at the back by swinging it out. I have struggled with that far too many times to mention. I have to say though, that I really like the original wooden built in as well. Are you intending to build a facia to frame out the new ones if you don't the the silver one you ordered? Things are looking good there. You have been busy.

Please check, you have a PM
oz

Posted By: varkha Re: New Home For The Toys (pics) - 02/03/06 05:13 AM
How do you compare 850s and the 80s? How do you like the Rockets?
Posted By: Tharkun Re: New Home For The Toys (pics) - 02/03/06 03:51 PM
Yes this mode of the MA racks are designed to be in cabinets. Plan is to pick up the material this weekend, and hopefully next week I will be able to start the construction of the new HT center, and yes, it will be in oak.
Posted By: Tharkun Re: New Home For The Toys (pics) - 02/03/06 03:58 PM
As I posted in the past, the reason for changing speakers was that I wanted wood cabinets, and I did not know that Axiom would be doing that at the time.
As for comparing Axions and Rockets, I'm far from a speaker expert, and what I hear will differ from some one else. I will say both companies have great products and customer support, and I have some of each. In my listening area with my equipment I like the sound of both.

Posted By: bigwill2 Re: New Home For The Toys (pics) - 02/03/06 11:59 PM
Don't they make a speaker slightly smaller, but sonically matched more or less? I dunno, a 650?
Posted By: Tharkun Re: New Home For The Toys (pics) - 02/04/06 10:04 AM
Not sure I understand what you are asking, its late. But yes, the next models smaller than the 850 are the 760 and 550.
Posted By: Tharkun Re: New Home For The Toys (pics) - 02/04/06 11:04 AM
Today the extension rails, stand, fans, and fan controller arrived.

Which worked out well, now that I have all of the pieces I can take the final measurements for the cabinets and pick up the materials this weeknd. Hope to start working at least a few hours each day on them between tile breaks. lol
I'm very happy with all of the MA products, they are built for more of an industrial enviroment than for home HT, so they are not going to fall apart under the weight of the Halo amps.

Posted By: bridgman Re: New Home For The Toys (pics) - 02/04/06 06:24 PM
Did you get a custom finish on that cat ?
Posted By: Ken.C Re: New Home For The Toys (pics) - 02/04/06 06:28 PM
He does have some great looking cats, doesn't he?
Posted By: Tharkun Re: New Home For The Toys (pics) - 02/04/06 07:05 PM
Nah, just the standard Bengal color/pattern.
Posted By: Ken.C Re: New Home For The Toys (pics) - 02/04/06 07:07 PM
Are they purebred?
Posted By: Tharkun Re: New Home For The Toys (pics) - 02/04/06 07:30 PM
We have papers on both and actually managed to get good prices on both, Mikey is an F4 and Anika is an F5, usually breeders don't recommend an F4 and lower for the average home owner. Both are show and breed quality, to get them for the price we did, both required being fixed, and we can not show them. If anyone is interested in what Bengals are, click on the link below.
They are the most amazing cats I have ever owned, but not recommended for people that don't have time to be with them, when we return from vacations, they are not happy with us at all. lol

Bengal Cats
Posted By: Tharkun Re: New Home For The Toys (pics) - 02/06/06 02:45 AM
The 60 pound weight of each A-21 has been a bit of concern for me , Parasound assured me that there was no need to add rear rack supports for the amps, the supplied front mont brackets would be work well. This evening I decdied to try one of the amps in the racks, there are 3 screws on each side of the chasis that secure the bracket to the amp. The 4 screws then secore it to therack, once it was in place the amp hangs very securely, with no up or down movement when applying some pressure on the rear of the amps.
So it seems that MD and Parsaound know more than I, as I had doubts about ony a few small screws fully supporting the weight of the amp.

© Axiom Message Boards