Axiom Home Page
Posted By: noel CD and SACD Setting for Universal Player - 03/08/06 09:07 AM
Hello Guys,
I have a Universal Player from Pioneer.I use it for Stereo Listening (CD,SACD) and Movie(DVD).I used analog connection (RCA) for both CD and SACD and TOSLINK for DVD connection.In the Audio Menu of the Pioneer you can set the speakers to "Small"or "Large" and bass to SUB-On,I used setting as "small"for main and surround and Bass to SWFR.This setting is great for SACD but if i play CD (pure stereo)then i lost Bass ,basically because the main speakers are set to small.I found out that even though i used the CD out-for CD connection this is still affected with the SACD settings.I find it odd to change settings everytime i switch from SACD to CD.Is this common to any Universal Player or a higher end players give me more options.My other option is to buy a dedicated CD player,any suggestion?

Thanks in advance,

Noel

M60,VP150,QS8,E250P,RX-V2400,AV6000II
I also have a Pioneer universal player, DV-45A, the best solution I found was to buy an Outlaw ICBM. It really does make a big difference, worth the $200 IMHO. It seems like many of the newer, higher end universal players have much better bass managment. Unless you want a new player for some other reason, it's probably most cost effective to keep what you have and add an ICBM
Posted By: mwc Re: CD and SACD Setting for Universal Player - 03/08/06 07:31 PM
According to their web site, Outlaw seems to have discontinued the ICBM.
There's one on ebay right now.
Posted By: mwc Re: CD and SACD Setting for Universal Player - 03/08/06 11:15 PM
Searched ebay>consumer electronics>outlaw and couldn't find it.
Sucker sold in the last hour!
Posted By: JohnK Re: CD and SACD Setting for Universal Player - 03/09/06 12:11 AM
Noel, your description was a bit hard to follow because it appears that you're mentioning both player and receiver settings without clearly separating them. If your player(which you didn't specifically identify)applies the bass management settings which you intended for SACD also to the stereo analog CD outputs, you shouldn't use those outputs. Instead use either the coaxial digital or optical digital output; most simply, take the cables off the analog outputs and use one of them on the coaxial digital output. This will send a full-range signal from the CDs to the 2400 because the player's bass management settings don't affect the digital outputs, just the analog. Then set your 2400 bass management as usual, i.e, all speakers "small" with a 80Hz crossover, the sub on of course, and bass set to SWFR. Your sub will then operate when playing CDs(use the regular stereo mode, no "direct" or "pure"), which your present settings, if I followed, are not allowing. You don't need any new equipment with "more options"; you have what you need right now.
© Axiom Message Boards