Axiom Home Page
Posted By: icemanbikes Help choosing the right A/V receiver - 03/16/06 10:50 PM
Hi, I am planning to set up a HT system in a few weeks. I purchased a 60" Sony SXRD TV and I need to get a receiver. I was thinking about the 7.1 Yamaha HTR-5990. My room is an average size (2340 cft) I spoke to Alan at Axiom and he said that the Epic 60/350 will be a good choice, of course I will get two additional Qs8's for 7.1 effect. I also heard that Denon receivers are pretty good. Any advice will be greatly appreciated. I am upgrading from an old Sony 5.1 receiver with satellites (not that great for my new TV) Thanks, Alex!
Posted By: ratpack Re: Help choosing the right A/V receiver - 03/16/06 11:02 PM
What is your budget?
Posted By: HomeDad Re: Help choosing the right A/V receiver - 03/16/06 11:15 PM
Most the mid to high end recievers are pretty good, make your choice on what features you want.
My room is the same size, I would think about going to the 80-500. Its better to have to much than to little,it is just me but if I got the 60-350 I would have that little voice in my mind saying maybe I should have got the 80-500. Any way you look at it there both great setups but what if you move or change rooms etc. etc. This is a big investment and its one that you will only do a few times in your life. I plan on keeping mine for many many years. I see a ep-600 sometime in the future,I hope sooner than later.Look at my sig and you will see what I have, total about $8000.I have a few things not listed.
Posted By: icemanbikes Re: Help choosing the right A/V receiver - 03/17/06 08:44 PM
Thanks for the advise. I guess I should go with a better system after all. I expect to use this unit for several years. But what about the receivers, I see you own a Denon. I was thinking about the Yamaha HTR-5990. What do you think? Thanks again.
Posted By: icemanbikes Re: Help choosing the right A/V receiver - 03/17/06 08:48 PM
Well, I guess around $3,500 for the speaker system and maybe $1,000 for the receiver. I don't want to spend more than that, (if possible) I already purchased the Sony SXRD and I will probaly get the receiver and the speakers in about two to three weeks. I am debating between the Epic 60/350 or the 80/500 with an additional two Qs8's. Thanks again for your advise.
Posted By: icemanbikes Re: Help choosing the right A/V receiver - 03/17/06 08:52 PM
That makes sense. The Yamaha HTR-5990 has three HDMI inputs (1 in, 2 out) 6 optical, 1 DVI,etc. Also, it is XM compatible. DTS EX, Neo 6 decoder. 140 watts per channel. What unit do you own a/o which do you suggest? Thanks!
Never had any dealings with yamaha, well not on this level I do own a 2006 YZ250.If there a/v is anything like there bikes they rock. The 80-500 will cost a little more than the 3500 you want to spend,but whats a couple of hundred when you spending that much. You could get a number of receivers for 1000.
© Axiom Message Boards