Axiom Home Page
Posted By: AndrewSW Power Suplly - 04/09/06 09:08 PM
Do y'all have any suggestions on surge protectors (or power supplies)?

What do you all use?
Posted By: HomeDad Re: Power Suplly - 04/09/06 10:31 PM
I'm using a Monster HTS2500 and am happy with it, Monster equipment can be had at some pretty good prices if you search around, same with some of the other brands, there always seems to be a great deal on power supplies somewhere.
Posted By: ratpack Re: Power Suplly - 04/09/06 10:40 PM
I use Tripplite units for all of my surge protection. They make a varity of units for whatever you need.
Posted By: AndrewSW Re: Power Supply - 04/09/06 11:07 PM
Do these keep the power constant (i.e. power spikes and lows)or do they just protect against power spikes?
Posted By: n8wrl Re: Power Suplly - 04/10/06 12:36 PM
APC is closing out a line of surge suppressors - I think there is a 'closeout' or 'APC store' link on thier site. I've been very happy with my APC UPS's so I'm sure this will do fine - also has nice wide plugs for wal-warts.

One thing to watch out for - some surge suppressors seem to isolate ground in some way that caused hum from my subwoofer. Running an extension cord from the surge suppressor to the sub solved the problem.

-Brian
Posted By: ratpack Re: Power Supply - 04/10/06 12:56 PM
The ones that I use are just for power spikes/ surges. I believe that Tripplite does make some "battery" backups that provide for voltage regulation and backup in case of a power failure/ outage.

One thing to remember is that most power companies in the U.S. regulate the voltage to within a volt or two. You should not need a regulator unless you have a particular situation that is subject to major swings. The power supplies of most electronic gear do a good job of regulating the voltage over a fairly wide input swing.
Posted By: michael_d Re: Power Supply - 04/10/06 06:29 PM
Amazon has the "Monster Reference PowerCenter HTS 3500 MKII" on sale for $149.

I've got two of them (one for each system). They do what they're supose to do I reckon. No idea if they are the end all solution or not. Don't really care either. I bought them instead of a standard surge devise because they look good on the rack and all my AC cables are neatly routed. - I don't like cord orgies.
Posted By: Haoleb Re: Power Supply - 04/11/06 04:04 AM
Got me a Monster HTS3500 mk2 also. Bought mine from BUY.com when they were 109 bucks (after mail in rebate)
© Axiom Message Boards