Axiom Home Page
Hello, this is my first post on this message board, and I am considering purchasing a pair of m50s or m60s, and was curious which speaker you all thought will pair the best with my brand new receiver, the rr2150 from outlaw. The receiver is conservatively rated at 100 watts a channel into 8 ohms and 160 watts a channel into 4 ohms. Thanks.

-David (Louisville, KY)
David, welcome. There's no need to be concerned about how your 2150 will "pair" with various speakers; it's a fine receiver and there's nothing about it which would make it less suitable for certain speakers. As to whether you'd like the M50 or M60 better, there's not a major difference, but apparently the M50 is slightly more laid back. Most likely owners of each will comment.
Hello David

I have a friend with an Outlaw 1050 65wpc surround receiver teamed with a pair of M60-like Michaura M665s, a modified Axiom made Merak MC6H center (2x6.5" Axiom drivers and a horn tweeter) and a pair of M22 like Michaura M55s. Sounds terrific. I've heard this system in a large high ceilinged home on top of a mountain at about 4000' and the same system in a low ceilinged but large carpeted room in a house on the beach. (same system)

I have another friend with the exact same speaker compliment, but with an Outlaw 970 processor and a bunch of Outlaw 200 watt monoblocks. Sounds sad ... as in bad.

Go figure. If it were me, I'd check out whether the new Outlaw receiver uses the same amps as the monoblocks ... if the answer is 'yes,' I'd pass.
How can you blame the amp when the room and speaker placement is far more likely to have been the culprit?
I was going to ask the same question, as there are several forum members using the Outlaw monoblock/Axiom combination and are very happy with them.
I 'm pretty sure the amp is different; from what I've read online it's supposed to be pretty awesome for 2 channel. I dunno, I think I'm leaning towards the M50's right now because a: they're cheaper, and b: people say they're "laid back" and that sounds good to me. Plus, it seems the M50's are more matched to my receiver, power wise. I would hate to spend a grand on speakers (the M60's) and not having them running at their full potential because of lack of power.

Thanks.
-David
Oh, yeah, one more thing. I mostly listen to vinyl, so I don't know if that makes any difference in speaker selection.
David, it isn't clear what you meant that the M50s were more "matched" power wise to your 2150, because both the M50 and M60 have identical 89dB sensitivity at 1 meter using 1 watt. You'd have more than enough power for either of them.

Some might suggest that the surface noise that sometimes afflicts LPs would be slightly less prominant on the M50s.
It says on outlaw's website "Power Consumption: 5W Idle
400W maximum, both channels driven". Does that mean 200W a channel max or 400W a channel max?
I just figured since the M60's have more speakers, they would need a little more power.
No, the number of speakers doesn't change that; the sensitivities are identical.

The power consumption spec means that with both channels operating at full rated power, i.e. 100 watts per channel, about 400 watts are used. Amplifiers of that class are about 50% efficient at full power, so 400 watts are used to output 200 watts.
In reply to:

I was going to ask the same question, as there are several forum members using the Outlaw monoblock/Axiom combination and are very happy with them.

I'm one of them!

Oh, and by the way...

"Enjoy the music. Trust your ears. Smile at those who won't wear blindfolds."

In reply to:

You'd have more than enough power for either of them.

One of the things I have learned since acquiring a power center is how little power it take to run my Axiom setup in my room.

At what I would call loud levels, the M80s use 6 watts or less. They will jump to the high 20s for some explosive HT scenes.

The whole system; TV, Receiver, 3 channel amp, 3 monoblocks, dvd, power center, run on less than 3 amps most of the time and less than 6 amps when "cranking it up".

BTW, I have found little difference in the sound of my LCR running on monoblocks or 3 channel amp. The 3 channel may be a little more responsive but I didn't blind test.
Hey, my first post here, hope it's not considered bad form to drag up an old post like this, but I have the same question, with some different details.

I'm looking at the same amp, and the same 2 speakers, but my main concern is matching the speakers to the room. My space here is about 2000 ft^3, and seriously live...hardwood floor, plaster walls and ceiling, large windows at the rear, and a glass fronted bookshelf built in on one wall. Based on the comments in here, I'm thinking the "laid back" sound of the M50s might be more appropriate? (and maybe I should pick up an area rug and some curtains )
Brock, what kind of speakers are you running now?

By the way, it's good that you are thinking about the room because it can have a great impact on the sound of things.
Quote:

Brock, what kind of speakers are you running now?

By the way, it's good that you are thinking about the room because it can have a great impact on the sound of things.

At the moment, none...this is going to be my first step up from lousy HTIB type stuff, and I don't even have that at the moment because it didn't make the move out here (not that I didn't want to bring it, but while helping me move my brother dropped 'em down a flight of stairs. I guess in the long run he probably did me a favor).

My plan at the moment is to start with a good pair of main speakers, the Outlaw rr2150, and a good universal disc player (still hunting on this piece of the equation). I'll then add pieces as I can to get to a full 5.1 setup. I'm looking at the Outlaw stereo receiver instead of a surround receiver because it'll probably be a while before I start adding on, and it seems foolish to tie myself down to a surround receiver before I really need it - there's likely to be a better unit at a better price by the time I'm ready for it, but I figure a decent stereo receiver will always have a place somewhere in my home.
Well, you can check and see if anyone is near you for an audition. This way you can at least get a handle on how Axioms sound. It would seem important to get a speaker in your room, though, just to see how the room acoustics will affect it.

Talk to Axiom. If I remember correctly, I don't think custom made speakers are returnable. Maybe order a vinyl finish, live with it for a couple of weeks in order to evaluate it, and if everything sounds good put in an order for a custom finish. Then return the vinyl test speaker. I don't mean to be so liberal with Axiom's return policy, but give them a call and discuss the situation. They'll do their best to steer you in the right direction.
Quote:

Well, you can check and see if anyone is near you for an audition. This way you can at least get a handle on how Axioms sound. It would seem important to get a speaker in your room, though, just to see how the room acoustics will affect it.

Talk to Axiom. If I remember correctly, I don't think custom made speakers are returnable. Maybe order a vinyl finish, live with it for a couple of weeks in order to evaluate it, and if everything sounds good put in an order for a custom finish. Then return the vinyl test speaker. I don't mean to be so liberal with Axiom's return policy, but give them a call and discuss the situation. They'll do their best to steer you in the right direction.

Yea, I do think I should definitely do an audition before putting in an order...I didn't know the bit about the custom finishes not being covered by the return policy, but I guess it makes sense - I can certainly see "lightly used" custom speakers being a little hard to sell. I guess I'll try to work out a local audition first, and if everything's a go after that, get in touch with Axiom to work out the details for trying something out in my own room. Thanks for the advice.
© Axiom Message Boards