Axiom Home Page
Posted By: MMAN Sonic Frontiers Power One - 08/26/06 06:06 PM
I currently run a 55 watt Sonic Frontiers tube amp with my M60ti's, at 8 ohms. Provided I rewire the amp to 4 ohms, should I feel confident this will be enough power to drive the M80v2's?
Posted By: Ken.C Re: Sonic Frontiers Power One - 08/27/06 12:21 AM
Should be just fine. 55 watts is pretty high for a tube amp, as far as I know. Generally, I think the formula is 3 tube watts is equivalent to 1 solid state watts.
Posted By: JohnK Re: Sonic Frontiers Power One - 08/27/06 01:59 AM
MM, welcome. Regardless of what type of amp that you're using, it's probable that 55 watts wouldn't exceed the maximum that the M80s would use on a brief peak, except in a very large room playing material with a wide dynamic range and using a very loud average level. So, unless these latter factors apply in your case, yes you can "feel confident" that you don't need a higher maximum power capacity. Since the M80s are slightly more sensitive than the M60s and therefore use less power for a given loudness level, if you're okay with your use of the M60s now you should have no problem with the M80s.
Posted By: MMAN Re: Sonic Frontiers Power One - 08/27/06 07:08 PM
Thanks for the reply. It makes sense and was very reassuring.
It is about the music. I really enjoy the Power One and the pre, which is an Audio Experience Symphonies Plus.(redone with Cardas GR capacitors)

Cheers!
© Axiom Message Boards