Axiom Home Page
Posted By: eggman Grilles, or No Grilles? - 11/10/06 03:17 AM
OK, I've had the new M80's for a couple of weeks now. This evening, I made myself listen to them with the grilles on! They seem to sound just as good this way, though I have always removed grilles to listen before. Anybody out there have any opinion on this?
Posted By: SirQuack Re: Grilles, or No Grilles? - 11/10/06 03:23 AM
This topic comes up from time to time. It boils down to a cosmetic thing or what looks better visually. From what I recall, there is no difference in sound reproduction, possibly a slight drop in 1/2dB or so which would not be detected.
Posted By: INANE Re: Grilles, or No Grilles? - 11/10/06 04:16 AM
Grills on.

Posted By: F107plus5 Re: Grilles, or No Grilles? - 11/10/06 03:18 PM
Four rowdy grandkids...sometimes five...and all their boisterous friends.....
Posted By: Hutzal Re: Grilles, or No Grilles? - 11/10/06 03:51 PM
>>Four rowdy grandkids...sometimes five...and all their boisterous friends....

...Having to buy a pair of new M80s...priceless.
Posted By: jorge016 Re: Grilles, or No Grilles? - 11/10/06 08:50 PM
2 wild two year old boys - grills on.
Posted By: TweedleyD Re: Grilles, or No Grilles? - 11/11/06 03:34 AM
Jus me an my Budds , Grills off
Posted By: bridgman Re: Grilles, or No Grilles? - 11/11/06 04:25 PM
Grills on normally, but I still take them off on the rare occasion I can spend some serious listening time. I don't think the sound is really any different, but having the cones visible seems to add something to the experience.

I realize it should be the other way -- conceal the speakers and support the illusion of being wherever the music was recorded, but I don't have enough imagination for that anyways
Posted By: HAY Re: Grilles, or No Grilles? - 11/11/06 07:24 PM
I love the look of Boston Cherry Axioms without the grilles but with a 2.5 year old the grilles are on.

One of the reasons I went with 60's over the 80's was that when the grilles are off I prefer the look of the 60's. There's not as much going on and from the front you get more of the cabinet/speaker contrast. Mind you the 80's naked are pretty intimidating speakers.

Anyone else feel this way?
Posted By: FordPrefect Re: Grilles, or No Grilles? - 11/11/06 07:52 PM
Must be a Burlington thing . I still prefer the 60's for my application. And like you I do appreciate the relative smaller grill area on the 60's.
Posted By: HAY Re: Grilles, or No Grilles? - 11/12/06 06:46 PM
Glad to know I'm not alone
© Axiom Message Boards