Axiom Home Page
Posted By: Kyle M3Ti's and ? - 10/27/02 06:31 PM
Ian ... or Alan

I bought a pair the M3Ti's about a year ago and am unbelievably happy with them, I even demo'ed them against my brothers Paradigm towers and they held their own for being about 1/16 the size!

I have the M3Ti's in a room, 12 x 12 x 8, and am looking to add a sub into the mix. My system consists of an Adcom GFA545 amp and a GTP400 pre amp and is only used for music. I was interested mostly in the EP125 so if you could give me the pros/cons on that one and maybe compared against the EP175 as well that would be great! I pretty much listen to all types of music, electronic, classical, blues, rock, jazz, etc. if that makes any difference.

I also need to know what would be the best way to hook up a sub, since there is only one set, left/right, of speaker hookups and then the in/out for the pre amp/amp set up. Would I hook up the sub between the pre amp/amp or could I, should I position the sub so that the speakers are wired into it.

Thanks for your help
Kyle, Akron, OH
Posted By: alan Re: M3Ti's and ? - 10/28/02 03:48 PM
Hello Kyle,

The EP175 goes lower--within 3 dB to 32 Hz with useful output below 30 Hz--and produces greater overall output with ease, which you would expect from a bigger woofer in a larger enclosure with a more powerful amplifier.

If we look at low-frequency extension of instruments, the bottom key on a standard grand piano is at 28 Hz. Some pipe organs have pedal notes with a fundamental at 16 Hz, but the 2nd harmonic at 32 Hz is much stronger and the one we hear. Tuba and orchestral bass drum also extend into the 20-Hz region, and there are synthesizers with output at 20 Hz.

So I'd argue for getting the EP175 that has output below 30 Hz. Besides, should you move to a larger room, the EP175 can handle it without being overwhelmed. The EP125 couldn't keep up in a large space.

Use the speaker-level inputs to hook up the sub, running the speaker cables to the sub, then to the M3ti's. If you use a crossover frequency around 80 Hz or so--you'll have to experiment--you should be able to position the sub for the smoothest and deepest bass. Properly positioned, the EP175 has tight, musical bass that isn't boomy.

Regards,
Posted By: Patchwork Re: M3Ti's and ? - 10/29/02 04:10 PM
Kyle,

I too would option for the EP175 or EP350. It depends on your budget. However, if you decide to get an EP125, I might be selling mine if a good offer comes along. Email me if you want details.

Good luck!
© Axiom Message Boards