Axiom Home Page
Posted By: Amie Algonquin Outdoor Speaker Nameplate - 05/24/07 09:58 PM
Hello all;

Whatfurrer brought up a point that we hadn't properly considered when he received his Algonquins - he's side-mounting them and his logo is crooked. A few of the team members at Axiom came up with this solution suggestion. Do you like it? Do you have alternate suggestions?

Thanks for your time!

Amie

Posted By: pmbuko Re: Algonquin Outdoor Speaker Nameplate - 05/24/07 10:00 PM
Perfect!
Posted By: Ken.C Re: Algonquin Outdoor Speaker Nameplate - 05/24/07 10:01 PM
Works for me! (sez the person least likely to be getting outdoor speakers anytime soon...)
Posted By: dllewel Re: Algonquin Outdoor Speaker Nameplate - 05/24/07 10:12 PM
It works for me, great idea.

I also don't mind the conventional look of the name just being on its side too much either. I've just seen that a lot and wouldn't question it.

Even better, I would prefer the ability to specify an optional horizontal config and have the logo centered.
Posted By: Haoleb Re: Algonquin Outdoor Speaker Nameplate - 05/24/07 10:12 PM
I dunno, They seem really out of place if you ask me. Personally, I think they would look best without a logo at all. If thats not an option, Then why not make one that either snaps into place through the grill holes and is moveable, Or is magnetic that will either stick to the grill or to a removable peice that goes in behind the grill sandwiching it between the magnetic front of back peice and the logo which could be magnetic or metal..

Or the logo could be like a pin, where it has two little pegs that go through holes in the grill, and clip into a back peice. I like the logo on the front of my 80's but, I think anything that can be done to not call attention to these speakers is the way to go.
Posted By: F107plus5 Re: Algonquin Outdoor Speaker Nameplate - 05/24/07 10:16 PM
Hey that's cool! I need something like that for my center channel M3!

Most of the year I run it inverted and vertical on top of the TV, but during the Christmas holidays I lay it on its' side to help the little Lady with her decorating.

EDIT: Oops; can the grill be inverted?
Posted By: JaimeG Re: Algonquin Outdoor Speaker Nameplate - 05/24/07 10:21 PM
On my JBL control5 speakers you can rotate the nameplate. The grill is slightly indented w/ the shape of the nameplate. The shape is a perfect square though...

Posted By: tomtuttle Re: Algonquin Outdoor Speaker Nameplate - 05/24/07 10:50 PM
I think Amie's suggestion is fine, but a compromise.

I can see how Axiom (and some owners) would want to retain the brand on the grille somewhere. I think it looks MUCH more elegant centered at the bottom, whether horizontal or vertical. I think the "best" solution would be to offer a H or V version of the grill (although that does effectively DOUBLE the number of items for sale).

I also like the earlier suggestions of allowing the owner to affix the badge.

Anybody else but me disappointed to get the newsletter and note the absence of an announcement about the powered desktop set?
Posted By: Ken.C Re: Algonquin Outdoor Speaker Nameplate - 05/24/07 10:52 PM
<raises hand>

But I didn't want to be the first to mention it.
Posted By: HomeDad Re: Algonquin Outdoor Speaker Nameplate - 05/24/07 11:07 PM
I was hoping for some news on the wireless outdoor speakers.
Posted By: SirQuack Re: Algonquin Outdoor Speaker Nameplate - 05/24/07 11:35 PM
Very unique idea. Now if only my horizontal ep600 had the same option, I could then try standing it up.
Posted By: Haoleb Re: Algonquin Outdoor Speaker Nameplate - 05/24/07 11:41 PM
Quote:

Anybody else but me disappointed to get the newsletter and note the absence of an announcement about the powered desktop set?

Not to get too far off topic... but yes I want to see what the amplifier looks like for these little guys, and when the expected release date is
Posted By: bridgman Re: Algonquin Outdoor Speaker Nameplate - 05/25/07 12:49 PM
I have always associated angled logos with something you are supposed to peel off before using the product. Maybe that's just me.

Could I propose that the real problem here is a high contrast black & white logo on a pastel brown speaker/grill ? I don't have time to play with recoloring the logo this morning but I imagine that the angled presentation would look fine if the logo badge were more muted, and it's *possible* that even the current placement might be OK.

I really like the Axiom badging on most of the speakers, but for outdoor speakers (and probably the in-walls) I think the badging should be understated. As long as the logo is clear when you look closely that's what matters IMO.

Just a thought...
Posted By: DanielBMe Re: Algonquin Outdoor Speaker Nameplate - 05/25/07 07:25 PM
I agree with Bridgman,

I think the white stand out a bit too much. Maybe the wording should reflect the colour of speaker as much as possible still being able to see it though contrasting against the grill.
Posted By: samandnoah Re: Algonquin Outdoor Speaker Nameplate - 05/25/07 10:05 PM
Are the grills removable?

If not, the Amie's proposal could also pose an issue if the person wants both tweeters inside. Then one of the logos would be upside down, and out of place.

I vote leave them in a bag for the owner to apply.

Rich
Posted By: dllewel Re: Algonquin Outdoor Speaker Nameplate - 05/25/07 10:08 PM
Quote:

Are the grills removable?

Yes.
Posted By: RickF Re: Algonquin Outdoor Speaker Nameplate - 05/29/07 11:46 PM
Quote:

I have always associated angled logos with something you are supposed to peel off before using the product. Maybe that's just me.

Maybe a tad late for my input but I agree with John ... whenever I see the corner angled tags on products my first reaction is that this must be a sale item or as John says a peel off prior to using tag. Regardless of the color scheme the angled nameplate seems to diminish the overall glamour and style that audio speakers ought to convey ... to me anyways.
© Axiom Message Boards