Axiom Home Page
Posted By: framer2180 Olive Musica - 08/20/07 05:14 AM
Does anyone has any recent experience with the Olive Musica digital music server? I have read both great press and stay away comments. Most of the negative comments are at least a year old. Has the product matured? Is customer service getting better?

Greg
Posted By: michael_d Re: Olive Musica - 08/22/07 08:27 PM
I've been wanting the Olive Opus ever since it first came out. Starting at $3000 is a bit too steep for me though.

http://www.olive.us/p_bin/?cid=shop

I just ran out of room in second 400 disk mega changer and need to buy a third one, or pony up and get one of these Olive machines.
Posted By: Haoleb Re: Olive Musica - 08/22/07 09:22 PM
What about a squeezebox? Get a 1TB external HDD and the Squeezebox and your' good to go!
Posted By: oldskoolboarder Re: Olive Musica - 08/23/07 12:51 AM
I saw that today on Gizmodo and Engadget. Interesting in the one box simplicity. However, for that price, I could just get Mac Mini and stream to an AppleTV or use AirTunes. I normally rip > 320Kbps so compression isn't that noticeable. Or even get a Windows Media Center or similar Linux box for cheaper.

Or, maybe I'm missing something.
Posted By: michael_d Re: Olive Musica - 08/23/07 01:35 AM
I suppose I should look into those gadgets. I just liked the Olive Opus because it was right there, no wireless crap and nothing gets ripped. I hate ripped music. That's why I use the mega changers. Pain in the ass to keep track of all my CD's and asign artist to them for genre playing, but they do the trick.
Posted By: Haoleb Re: Olive Musica - 08/23/07 02:51 AM
ripping cd's is pretty easy, I use a program called Cdex but there are others, Pop it in, Press the button to find disc info, and off it goes. 3 minutes later it spits it out and I throw in another one.

It will take some time depending on your computer speed and how many you need to rip but an hour a day and you'll have them done in no time.
Posted By: oldskoolboarder Re: Olive Musica - 08/23/07 09:07 PM
Agreed, CDex is nice, easy and VERY fast. Only wish that it was available on a Mac.
© Axiom Message Boards