Axiom Home Page
Posted By: michael_d Dave Matthews and Tim Reynolds BR/DVD - 10/21/07 02:00 AM
I don’t know if any of you have seen this yet, but I just sat through it and figured I’d pass along a big ol thumbs up for this one.

The disk is High Def all the way. The image quality is outstanding and the audio has to be the best I have ever heard, including SACD. There’s three different audio tracks; 2 channel PCM at 48 Hz / 24 bit, 5.1 Dolby + at 96 Hz / 24 bit and a standard DD 5.1 track. I listened to the high rez 5.1 track and it’s simply outstanding. Not just clarity, but the mix is great, soundstage is very cool….

I’ve always liked Dave Mathews’ music when I hear it, but not enough to buy his CD’s for some reason. I’ve never listened to Tim Reynolds or even heard of him, come to think of it, but man can this guy play a guitar! I had no idea a guitar could make as many different sounds as this guy can make it do.

The disk is just Dave and Tim without a band. Tim plays his guitar and Dave plays his guitar and piano. Even if you don’t like Dave Mathews, I really don’t think anyone with any appreciation of talent and kick ass sound quality wouldn’t like this disk. This disk really makes these reputed “bright” Axioms come to life.

If anyone has any of Tim Reynolds' CD’s that they’d like to recommend, please do. I’ve got to hear more is his music….
Posted By: Ken.C Re: Dave Matthews and Tim Reynolds BR/DVD - 10/21/07 02:07 AM
Do you know when the concert was recorded? They did one that was on CD several years ago, and it's pretty phenomenal. Just the two of them.
Posted By: michael_d Re: Dave Matthews and Tim Reynolds BR/DVD - 10/21/07 03:06 AM
I don't see a reference to the concert date on the disk anywhere. It's the "Live at Radio City Concert" disk. Is that the same one? The disk info says it was shot with nine different HD cameras, if that helps.
Posted By: michael_d Re: Dave Matthews and Tim Reynolds BR/DVD - 10/21/07 03:09 AM
 Originally Posted By: mdrew
I don't see a reference to the concert date on the disk anywhere. It's the "Live at Radio City Concert" disk. Is that the same one? The disk info says it was shot with nine different HD cameras, if that helps.

Never mind, I found this review.... http://www.hometheaterhifi.com/volume_14...%20Radio%20City

Recorded April of 07
Posted By: Ken.C Re: Dave Matthews and Tim Reynolds BR/DVD - 10/21/07 04:30 AM
Definitely not the same concert, then!
Posted By: terzaghi Re: Dave Matthews and Tim Reynolds BR/DVD - 10/22/07 03:21 AM
I think the cd you are thinking of is the Dave Mathew's Band "Live at Luther College" two disk set. It features Tim Reynolds in many of the songs. He is truly an amazing musician.

here is the track list:
All songs by David J. Matthews unless noted.

[edit] Disc one
"One Sweet World" – 5:43
"#41" – 5:37
"Tripping Billies" – 5:49
"Jimi Thing" » "What Will Become of Me?" – 8:13
"Satellite" – 4:39
"Crash into Me" – 5:33
"Deed Is Done" (Matthews, Reynolds) – 4:51
"Lover Lay Down" – 5:33
"What Would You Say" – 5:06
"Minarets" – 7:00
"Cry Freedom" – 5:39
"Dancing Nancies" – 7:15

[edit] Disc two
"Typical Situation" – 7:02
"Stream" (Reynolds) – 5:49
"Warehouse" – 9:17
"Christmas Song" – 5:24
"Seek Up" – 7:43
"Say Goodbye" – 5:19
"Ants Marching" – 5:26
"Little Thing" (Matthews, Reynolds) – 6:18
"Halloween" – 3:00
"Granny" – 3:22
"Two Step" – 6:34

the second song on the second cd (the yellow one) is a tim reynolds guitar solo- truly amazing

I think this was the first concert cd they put together, before the other one that was mentioned.

This would be a good cd to get for some more of Tim Reynolds music, but as you can see in the list most of the songs are Dave Mathew's band alone... I guess Tim Reynolds is only in 3 or 4 songs. However, any one who likes Dave Matthew's band should def. grab this cd.

EDIT: The cd says 1999 on it

Is the 2007 radio city concert only available on bluray?

I am still on the fence about which format to go for... I will def. grab this concert after I order my axioms... hopefully I will make up my mind about which HD format is right for me by then.
Posted By: Murph Re: Dave Matthews and Tim Reynolds BR/DVD - 10/22/07 02:10 PM
There is an older Dave Mathews and Tim Reynolds only recording. CD only I think. However, this is definitely a different concert. A whole different song lineup and a different stage.

I bought the DVD version. It's definitely the new MUST HAVE dvd for demoing voice and string clarity on speakers. Oh, and you will love the music too. Quiet a bit more laid back than when he does the full band.

Tim Reynolds blows you away as he makes complex pieces look so simple. I also discovered, at the end when he walks of the stage, that he is also either very very short or Dave is very very tall.
Posted By: Murph Re: Dave Matthews and Tim Reynolds BR/DVD - 10/22/07 02:17 PM
I also have to add that Dave's storys between songs are very entertaining but honestly, his speech and mannerisms remind me of someone who is autistic and I totally don't mean that in a joking or disrespectful way. It just honestly seems as if he is on some "chemical enhancement" or he is indeed autistic. Again, no disrespect intended, just an observation on his behaviorisms as he speaks. He is always a bit 'flamboyant' but just way more so in this concert I find.
Posted By: michael_d Re: Dave Matthews and Tim Reynolds BR/DVD - 10/22/07 03:44 PM
I was wondering about Matthews myself.

I watched the BR disk again yesterday. Tim Reynolds guitar playing just blows me away. He makes enough sound for a complete orchestra. Plus, he can really pick those strings as fast as I've ever seen/heard. Even my 14 YO enjoyed watching him.

I made a mistake earlier. It's not DD+, but DD True HD. This is the only music disk / concert I'm aware of recorded at this bit rate.
Posted By: CV Re: Dave Matthews and Tim Reynolds BR/DVD - 10/22/07 04:02 PM
Heart: Alive in Seattle is in Dolby TrueHD 5.0.
Posted By: Mojo Re: Dave Matthews and Tim Reynolds BR/DVD - 10/22/07 07:57 PM
Is it any good?

I've got The Who in DTS and it sounds better on my wife's Sony boombox. I'm exaggerating but you know what I mean \:\) .
Posted By: CV Re: Dave Matthews and Tim Reynolds BR/DVD - 10/23/07 03:19 AM
It's an all right performance, and the sound was decent, from what I remember, but I wouldn't use it as a reference disc or anything. I'll have to pop it back in and refresh my opinion.
Posted By: Ya_basta Re: Dave Matthews and Tim Reynolds BR/DVD - 10/23/07 02:06 PM
If you like Tim Reynolds, then you should definitely check out Victor Wooten. There are lots of video clips of him on youtube. The stuff that he can do on a bass guitar is amazing.
Posted By: Ken.C Re: Dave Matthews and Tim Reynolds BR/DVD - 10/23/07 04:35 PM
I prefer his earlier albums (Vic Wooten). His later ones seemed to get a little new agey/r&b for my taste.

Seeing him in concert is even better. Peter, Adam, and I saw him with Bela Fleck & the Flecktones in SF a few years ago. While they were playing, a string broke on his bass. He kept playing, and didn't drop a note. This was in the middle of the song. \:o Also, during his solo, he detuned the bass so the strings were pretty much just making thumping noises. Continuing the thumping, he returned the bass--during the solo, rhythmically, and back to fully in tune. Simply amazing.
Posted By: haylo75 Re: Dave Matthews and Tim Reynolds BR/DVD - 12/15/07 11:12 PM
I just picked up the Dave Matthews / Tim Reynolds Blu-ray. All I can say is that I have a new audio demo disc.

I've also seen the Heart show that CV mentioned as it was on HDNet awhile back. Heart fans should definitely watch it. I consider myself a moderate Heart fan and that show was a ton of fun to watch.
Posted By: michael_d Re: Dave Matthews and Tim Reynolds BR/DVD - 12/16/07 01:18 AM
Funny you posted and brought this back. I just installed a Panasonic BD30K blue ray player yesterday that has the DD-TruHD and DTS-HD decoders. Yesterday afternoon I re-watched / listened to this disk. Wow… amazing.. With the PS3 playing this disk before, it was great, but there is a definate improvement hearing it from the BD30. I still have the PS3 hooked up and was going back and forth between the two. I may just become a believer that it's better to have the audio processor do the decoding (not yet, but maybe). The HD track is the best sounding – anything – I’ve ever heard. The ol’ Axioms really come to life and show their stuff…
Posted By: AdamP88 Re: Dave Matthews and Tim Reynolds BR/DVD - 12/16/07 03:53 AM
 Originally Posted By: kcarlile
Continuing the thumping, he returned the bass--during the solo, rhythmically, and back to fully in tune. Simply amazing.

As everyone tried to pick their jaws up off the floor. ;\) That was such a fun concert!
Posted By: haylo75 Re: Dave Matthews and Tim Reynolds BR/DVD - 12/16/07 07:55 PM
mdrew - I was wondering the same thing regarding the PS3 passing decoded LPCM vs. having a preamp/receiver do the decoding of the raw bitstream. I don't have another Blu-ray source to experiment, but I have done the same with TrueHD tracks on my Toshiba HD-XA2 HD DVD play and I honestly can't tell a difference. Regardless, I agree that the TrueHD track on the Dave Matthews Blu-ray is the best sounding recording I've personally heard.
Posted By: michael_d Re: Dave Matthews and Tim Reynolds BR/DVD - 12/17/07 01:13 AM
Well if you're tired of the PS3, I think this BD30K is even better than the A35. Starts faster and loads faster. It's not as fast as the PS3, but fast enough that it doesn't bother me.
Posted By: terzaghi Re: Dave Matthews and Tim Reynolds BR/DVD - 12/17/07 03:43 AM
You guys are killing me here. I really wish I could find a $98 bluray player at walmart to sit next to my $98 toshiba HD DVD player! \:\)

I wonder how this would sound as a DVD?

Ahhhh crap....Maybe I should think about getting a bluray player \:\(

There are a lot of movies only on bluray that I would love to watch. Also, This Disk is a must have, I really like Dave Matthews... I will either get it in DVD or wait until I convince myself to get a bluray player
Just wait a few more months until HD-DVD wins the format war, then all the BluRay discs will be re-released in HD-DVD.

Hey! Did that mke me a troll? \:\)
Posted By: Murph Re: Dave Matthews and Tim Reynolds BR/DVD - 12/17/07 01:16 PM
 Quote:

I wonder how this would sound as a DVD?

Ahhhh crap....Maybe I should think about getting a bluray player \:\( [quote]

There are a lot of movies only on bluray that I would love to watch. Also, This Disk is a must have, I really like Dave Matthews... I will either get it in DVD or wait until I convince myself to get a bluray player

I have the new DM & TR concert on SD DVD. Do not worry. YOU WILL NOT BE DISAPPOINTED!. It is, by far, the best sounding of about 16+ concert DVDs that I own. I can't imagine they could ever improve it by re relasing it in HD or in the Bluray version. If someone could A-B test and show me how Bluray could possibly make this sound better, I'll fire up the credit card and by one of the overpriced Bluray players..

Not that I doubt the technology, just that the DD track is sooo good.
Posted By: Ajax Re: Dave Matthews and Tim Reynolds BR/DVD - 12/17/07 02:26 PM
 Originally Posted By: MarkSJohnson
Hey! Did that make me a troll? \:\)

Yes.

;\)
© Axiom Message Boards