Axiom Home Page
Posted By: jazZed Woke Up the M80's! - 11/10/07 05:36 PM
Just have to put in a plug for the Outlaw RR2150 Stereo receiver.
My M80s have never sounded this alive.
I had guardedly hoped that perhaps I might appreciate some subtle nuance of improved sound over my HK 3480 with the RR2150 - but the difference is remarkable. Detail, separation, dimension - all really fail to express the impressive subjective response. Any 2-Channel dinosaurs looking for Bang-For-The-Buck, at $499 shipped for (flawless!) B-Stock, this thing is a steal. Now, I’m really lusting over that EP500 - just can’t quite figure how to get it sans divorce papers...
Posted By: St_PatGuy Re: Woke Up the M80's! - 11/10/07 05:41 PM
Glad you're enjoying the new equipment! Isn't that Outlaw one of the few stereo receivers that offers bass management? If it's strictly for two channel music, go for a pair of EP400s. C'mon, it's only money! ;\)
Posted By: jakewash Re: Woke Up the M80's! - 11/10/07 06:09 PM
3 words lay away plan, it's paid off over time and they can't say you can't afford it, providing of course that you can afford to part with $120 a month above all else.
Posted By: jazZed Re: Woke Up the M80's! - 11/10/07 08:36 PM
Well, what do you guys think about pairing the M80s with a new EP350?
I’m really just looking to flesh out the bottom end a bit - no HT - primarily playing Jazz (Blue Note, Venus, Reservoir stuff). Medium sized room. Listening ‘space’ is a 9’x9’x9’ triangle with my chair and an M80 at each corner.
Is what I gain with EP350 (vs no sub) greater then what I lose by not having the EP500’s DSP circuitry? Is there a more ‘musical’ alternative within the Axiom sub stable?
Posted By: St_PatGuy Re: Woke Up the M80's! - 11/10/07 08:41 PM
I'd venture to say the DSP circuitry is more beneficial to the HT crowd because that is where you are more likely to push the sub to it's limits. I'm not sure what the DSP offers for two channel systems.

I don't think anyone around here has picked up one of the new EP350s. You could be the first and tell us what you think!
Posted By: CV Re: Woke Up the M80's! - 11/10/07 08:47 PM
Ha ha, every time someone asks about a product no one has...
Posted By: St_PatGuy Re: Woke Up the M80's! - 11/10/07 08:48 PM
We're pretty sharp around here. Always willing to let others be the guinea pig.
Posted By: jakewash Re: Woke Up the M80's! - 11/11/07 01:21 AM
The EP400 is the sub for you it blends incredibly well and is quick and tight, but still adds that nice lower range the M80s don't have.
Posted By: Mojo Re: Woke Up the M80's! - 11/11/07 01:55 AM
Jaz,

I can't comment about the 350 because I haven't heard it but I own the 600 and listened to the 400 with jakewash. I know that you don't need the 600 and it is highly unlikely that you need the 500. The 400 is indeed very smooth, will blend in very well and satisfy your needs. Other subs may give you the presence that you desire but they will likely compete with the rest of the music. The 400 will weave the bass into the rest of the music very seamlessly.
Posted By: Wid Re: Woke Up the M80's! - 11/11/07 03:07 AM
I run the STF 3 with my M80s and don't feel it competes with the M80s on music. Maybe it is from running the Outlaw ICBM with a 36db slope, I don't know.
Posted By: Ratboy Re: Woke Up the M80's! - 11/11/07 03:22 AM
Whether you make 5, 6, 7 or 8 figures, I know you are value shoppers. For 2Ch check out Dared VP-20 Tube Monos, they are absolutely singing. I have an Emo MMC/LPA for my HT.
Posted By: Mojo Re: Woke Up the M80's! - 11/11/07 03:25 AM
That could be, Rick. I think one of the reasons why the Axiom DSP subs blend in so nicely (and easily) is because of the relatively steep filters.
Posted By: Wid Re: Woke Up the M80's! - 11/11/07 03:30 AM
That could be why you prefered the Hsu crossover set with the reciever crossover engaged. Hsu uses a 24db slope on their subs.
Posted By: Mojo Re: Woke Up the M80's! - 11/11/07 04:13 AM
Indeed.
Posted By: Mojo Re: Woke Up the M80's! - 11/11/07 04:17 AM
What speakers are you using with that tube art?
Posted By: jakeman Re: Woke Up the M80's! - 11/11/07 05:30 PM
 Originally Posted By: Mojo
Jaz,

I can't comment about the 350 because I haven't heard it but I own the 600 and listened to the 400 with jakewash. I know that you don't need the 600 and it is highly unlikely that you need the 500. The 400 is indeed very smooth, will blend in very well and satisfy your needs. Other subs may give you the presence that you desire but they will likely compete with the rest of the music. The 400 will weave the bass into the rest of the music very seamlessly.

Good summary. \:\) For a music application that's strongly jazz oriented its the 400 you want. So far, I've played alot of Patricia Barber, David Sanborne, Eddy Higgins, Wynton Marsalis, Tsuyoshi Yamamoto, Diana Krall, Holly Cole to name a few on the 400. Its a seamless natural presentation.
Posted By: Mojo Re: Woke Up the M80's! - 11/11/07 06:24 PM
Thanks. I too listened to Barber, Krall and Cole with the 400 and it was absolutely amazing.
Posted By: jazZed Re: Woke Up the M80's! - 11/11/07 09:11 PM
 Originally Posted By: jakeman
 Originally Posted By: Mojo
Jaz,

Good summary. \:\) For a music application that's strongly jazz oriented its the 400 you want. So far, I've played alot of Patricia Barber, David Sanborne, Eddy Higgins, Wynton Marsalis, Tsuyoshi Yamamoto, Diana Krall, Holly Cole to name a few on the 400. Its a seamless natural presentation.

Thanks guys. I appreciate the jazz oriented comments. 400 officially tops the short list.
The Banker will like that fact that the 400 is smaller (than the 500) and will match the M80's cabinet. She'll blow a fuse whether I spend $500 or $1000 so going with a less expensive competitor is a wash ;\).
I'll pull the trigger after the Holiday smoke clears.
Posted By: x94blair3 Re: Woke Up the M80's! - 08/15/08 04:06 AM
 Originally Posted By: jazZed
Just have to put in a plug for the Outlaw RR2150 Stereo receiver.
My M80s have never sounded this alive.
I had guardedly hoped that perhaps I might appreciate some subtle nuance of improved sound over my HK 3480 with the RR2150 - but the difference is remarkable. Detail, separation, dimension - all really fail to express the impressive subjective response. Any 2-Channel dinosaurs looking for Bang-For-The-Buck, at $499 shipped for (flawless!) B-Stock, this thing is a steal.

Thanks for this comment. I'm late to the party I know, but I'm shopping for a 2-channel setup to enjoy music on the main floor and I'm considering the 2150 and a pair of M80's. I was surprised to only find 2 posts mentioning it (one by Alan). Not sure why the regular and b-stock prices have gone up so drastically - $625 for a B-stock! I always miss the boat on the good stuff.

Would love to get a set of piano gloss black wood M80's, but I can't justify double the price I don't think...unless someone wants to convince me they'll sound better \:D

-Nick
Posted By: fredk Re: Woke Up the M80's! - 08/15/08 04:29 PM
Given how transparent receivers are these days, why bother with an expensive B-stock option when you can pick up an older used or refurb unit at less than $100? With the change over to HDMI and High def, there are lots of bargains to be had.

I picked up a Sherwood Newcastle 100wpc receiver that will drive the M80s to earbleeding levels in any resonable sized room. It cost around $70 after taxes.
Posted By: Wid Re: Woke Up the M80's! - 08/16/08 01:28 AM

What model was the Sherwood?
Posted By: x94blair3 Re: Woke Up the M80's! - 08/16/08 03:28 AM
 Originally Posted By: fredk
Given how transparent receivers are these days, why bother with an expensive B-stock option when you can pick up an older used or refurb unit at less than $100? With the change over to HDMI and High def, there are lots of bargains to be had.

I picked up a Sherwood Newcastle 100wpc receiver that will drive the M80s to earbleeding levels in any resonable sized room. It cost around $70 after taxes.

I guess the outlaw well reviewed and seems like a nice piece of gear. I'm being a snob more than anything \:D
Posted By: fredk Re: Woke Up the M80's! - 08/16/08 03:32 AM
RD-6500.
Posted By: Wid Re: Woke Up the M80's! - 08/16/08 01:02 PM
The RD 6500 is a great deal for that kind of money .
Posted By: fredk Re: Woke Up the M80's! - 08/16/08 01:24 PM
Rick, if you're happy, that works for me.

Rick. I was a little paranoid given how low the price on the RD 6500 was (ebay), but it did turn out to be a great deal. Its also turning out to be a good way to asure myself that I really don't need more than 100wpc to get to reasonable volumes (which turns out to be 75-80db for me) and still maintain headroom for dynamics.
Posted By: Wid Re: Woke Up the M80's! - 08/16/08 02:00 PM

I've had a cheap Sherwood in a second system for quite a few years. It's a good way to build a nice budget system. The Sherwood's we are talking about are not the same as the Sherwood Newcastle like Axiom sells. These are the lower end units from from Sherwood. Kind of like Sony and Sony ES.
Posted By: fredk Re: Woke Up the M80's! - 08/16/08 02:40 PM
Are they really different, or is it just cosmetics like the Yamaha RXV line? Either way, it seems to drive the M80s just fine without noticable clipping (to me anyway) or shutdown. It will handle 85db fine without getting more than warm to the touch and I pushed it as far as 95db clean for a short period.
Posted By: Wid Re: Woke Up the M80's! - 08/17/08 03:46 AM

I really couldn't tell ya if there is really a major difference or not. I do know that for the money they sure are hard to beat.
© Axiom Message Boards