Axiom Home Page
Posted By: azmodien Deciding between M60s and Klipsch RF-63s. - 04/21/08 12:41 AM
Has anyone listened to the new Klipsch 63/83 reference series and compared them to Axiom? I am able to get the RF-63s for about the same as the M60s using my employee discount at work and I can't decide which to go with. Ideally I would listen to them both side by side but I don't have room in my budget for the return shipping cost on the Axioms.

The Klipsch are very dynamic and clear. With the new horn design, the harshness has been toned down compared to previous models. They still sound a little "bright" with some recordings, but they seem like they are fairly true to the soure material. They are also larger and can possibly go louder, deeper.

Any opinions are appreciated, especially from those who have first hand listening experience.

Thanks.
Welcome Az,

Where do you live? You might check the audition section to see if anyone is in your area that will let you listen to 60's or 80's. In my opinion, the Axioms don't share the harshness reputation as the previous horned Klipsch models. I once compared some 60's I owned to a friends RF3-II's, and felt the 60's were a step up in quality and detail.

If you've ever heard the B&W 703's ($$$$$), I think the 60's and 80's are similar for a lot less money.
Posted By: Mojo Re: Deciding between M60s and Klipsch RF-63s. - 04/21/08 01:51 AM
The Klipsches will go louder. I had a pair of these to try out before I went with M80s. At first I thought they sounded fantastic but I just could not relax to them due to the treble. I don't know if I had the ones with the re-designed horn or not. I also found the midrange to be too subdued and I had to sit far away from them to get a good soundstage and that simply didn't work for my space. The M60s are certainly speakers that you can relax to though with good mid-range.

If KlipschGuy was still around, he'd tell you to go with M80s rather than Klipsch \:\) .
As has been said, check the hearing things forum for a possible audition nearby. Otherwise if you really like the sound of the Klipsch then go ahead and get them, you are the only one that needs to like them.
© Axiom Message Boards