Axiom Home Page
Posted By: Listener m2s or audiobytes - 02/13/09 07:32 PM
I'm considering the m2s to use with my PC. What should I use to drive these things? Is there some sort of small amp you guys can recomment? Also should I get an external sound card?

Would I be better off just using the audiobytes? Can anyone who has heard both tell me what differences I should expect from them?
Posted By: MarkSJohnson Re: m2s or audiobytes - 02/13/09 07:37 PM
Lots of people like the little T-Amps, though I've never heard one.

I don't think I've ever read of a comparison between the Audiobytes and M2s.

Come to think of it, I'm really of no help except for providing the link... \:\)
Posted By: BlueJays1 Re: m2s or audiobytes - 02/13/09 07:55 PM
I use the M3's as computer speakers and they are excellent. I only listen to music with them and I have found them to work quite well. They offer a nice "full" and detailed sound even at low volumes which I normally listen too.

If you use your computer for a lot of near field listening,video games and movies the audiobytes (w/sub) would be an excellent choice since that is what they are engineered for.
Posted By: Listener Re: m2s or audiobytes - 02/13/09 08:00 PM
 Originally Posted By: Dr.House
I use the M3's as computer speakers and they are excellent. I only listen to music with them and I have found them to work quite well. They offer a nice "full" and detailed sound even at low volumes which I normally listen too.

If you use your computer for a lot of near field listening,video games and movies the audiobytes (w/sub) would be an excellent choice since that is what they are engineered for.

So you use a sub with the m3s? How would I hook up a sub with these?
Posted By: BlueJays1 Re: m2s or audiobytes - 02/13/09 08:13 PM
I don't use a sub with the M3's. I have them pretty close to the wall and they deliver excellent bass. I only listen to music with them and they are very satisfying without a sub. I use a spare kenwood receiver to power them. If I wanted to hook up a sub I could through the receiver but feel no need.

The great thing about the Audiobytes is that they come with everything you need to hook them up to your computer as well Axiom has specifically designed them for this purpose.
Posted By: gbuchana Re: m2s or audiobytes - 02/16/09 11:30 PM
Gaincard, if you have money.
http://www.sakurasystems.com/products/47amp.html

Or a clone,
http://www.webring.com/hub?ring=gaincloneamplifi
Posted By: Spoiler Re: m2s or audiobytes - 02/17/09 02:20 AM
Hmm Power "Humpty" power supply (50 Watts) = $2800

Gaincard amp _____________________________ = $1650

A1400-8, anyone? \:D

Just in case.. I am posting an opinion..YMMV
Posted By: pmbuko Re: m2s or audiobytes - 02/17/09 02:33 AM
That's a hell of a lot of money, especially when they boast about how few parts are in the thing.
Posted By: MarkSJohnson Re: m2s or audiobytes - 02/17/09 01:06 PM
Yeah, but the music is fresh on that thing...not stale like on your system that plays mold a week after you hit "play"...

Quote:
If energy supply depends on the capacity of filter/condensers, you can easily lose the freshness of sound.

Posted By: Ken.C Re: m2s or audiobytes - 02/17/09 04:41 PM
Or there's always the Dayton Audio amp which looks remarkably similar to the old Emotiva BPA-1. It's available on PartsExpress or Amazon for about $150.
Posted By: Listener Re: m2s or audiobytes - 02/17/09 08:49 PM
wow thanks a lot gbuchana. That looks like a great deal. I'm running out the door with my wallet as I write this.
© Axiom Message Boards