Axiom Home Page
Posted By: SpockTheater SVS 20-39Pci without the huge size? - 04/12/03 08:59 PM
I'm wondering if there are any other subs that can get the huge, wonderful sound quality of the SVS 20-39Pci, but without the massive size? Plus without having to spend a fortune. Any suggestions?

SpockTheater
Posted By: sushi Re: SVS 20-39Pci without the huge size? - 04/12/03 11:32 PM
How about the Hsu VTF-3?
Posted By: ravi_singh Re: SVS 20-39Pci without the huge size? - 04/12/03 11:57 PM
SVS makes a cubic sub these days. I've read it is very performant.

check it out on their website
Posted By: alan Re: SVS 20-39Pci without the huge size? - 04/13/03 01:22 PM
Hi SpockTheater,

It's the laws of physics come into play in subwoofer design. If you want really deep bass and huge output, you have to use either a big enclosure and large driver OR you can get very low frequencies from a much smaller enclosure but you must use a huge amplifier (1,000 watts or more) and a long-excursion driver with an enormous magnet. That's what Sunfire does to get 17-Hz frequencies from its 9-inch cube. It's $1,500 and will have limits on maximum output.

Regards,
Posted By: Zarak Re: SVS 20-39Pci without the huge size? - 04/13/03 01:40 PM
I have to 20-39PCi, and while I do like the sound from it, I think I am going to have to send it back. It's just too big. Unfortunately, it sounds like that is going to mean a step down in the quality of the bass department. I'm likely going to get the VTF-2 instead. The VTF-3 is a bit too much $ for me. Unless anyone has another suggestion, it seems the VTF-2 is about as good as it gets in the ~$500 range.
Posted By: fmowry Re: SVS 20-39Pci without the huge size? - 04/15/03 11:10 AM
I'm in the process of building my own. Hometheaterforum has a DIY section and while many people build huge boxes or tubes, you can find documentation for smaller subs that end up cheaper and better performing than the VTF-2. That is a good sub for the money though. There are a few free sub design software programs out there that can show you output and frequency response given the specs of a driver.

Frank
Posted By: acgman Re: SVS 20-39Pci without the huge size? - 04/25/03 01:27 AM

A very nice DIY package for the money (especially for canadian buyers): http://www.creativesound.ca/details.php?model=EZSUB14SHIVA

Posted By: lrock59040 Re: SVS 20-39Pci without the huge size? - 04/25/03 02:39 AM
How about the pb1-Isd from svs, it's a box sub. Still excellent bang for buck and runs $200 cheaper than the vtf-3.
Posted By: fmowry Re: SVS 20-39Pci without the huge size? - 04/25/03 01:12 PM
I'm usning the same driver as acgman's post (Adire Shiva) but in a ported tube about 2 foot tall, 20 inches around. WIll finish it up this weekend, recalibrate everything, then post some reviews.

Frank
© Axiom Message Boards