Axiom Home Page
Posted By: Worfzara I need a pair of Studio Monitors - 09/28/09 11:46 PM
Hi

My Rhodes keyboard that I bought in 1990 has died, the CPU is shot and Roland can't find a replacment anywhere in the world. So I am looking at getting a Roland Juno-D.

My Tannoy C6's bought in 1993 are also atarting to decay. I used the Tannoy's as studio monitors (foam is separating from the driver).

So I am looking for a pair of speakers that would work for my office / very amature recording studio. Since I am dumping a load of cash on the Juno, I don't have much left to spend on speakers, trying to keep it around the $200 to $300.

I love Axiom, but I will look at other makes too. I would even consider speakers with amplifiers built in.

I want to keep it a 2.0 system, no sub.

Any ideas would be great help.

Thanks

paul
Posted By: BlueJays1 Re: I need a pair of Studio Monitors - 09/28/09 11:58 PM
My choices for your budget will be.

Axiom M2
KRK Rokit Series
Behringer 2030p
Posted By: JohnK Re: I need a pair of Studio Monitors - 09/29/09 02:19 AM
Paul, since you won't be using a sub, more bass extension than the M2s have is probably desirable. The M3s should work well and at the outlet price they're close to your budget range.
Posted By: Worfzara Re: I need a pair of Studio Monitors - 09/29/09 04:47 PM
Thanks. I am intrigued by KRK. I like the fact they have the amplifier(s) built into the speakers. This is not only convenient but economical. I can get a pair of KRK 5's for around $400 CAD.

But I do love the Axiom sound. The M3's are probably a good choice, but I still need to get an integrated amplifier.

I was also looking at the M-Audio AV40 at around $200 / pair. Anybody heard of these?

paul
Posted By: BlueJays1 Re: I need a pair of Studio Monitors - 09/29/09 05:12 PM
I was speaking with someone a few months ago that went to a store that carried Genelec, KRK, Mackie and all sorts of other goodies. He auditioned the KRK Rokit line and was very impressed with them especially at their cost. He had a little bigger budget than you and decided with a pair of Mackie studio monitors for his recording that he felt offered just a bit more performance over the KRK (they are also more expensive). Genelec seems like they make some very nice speakers as well but they have a more high end price tag and certainly out of your price bracket.

You should also consider the Behringer 2030p studio monitors and another netural speaker such as the Axiom M2. Here are some 3rd party measurements of the 2030p and KRK Rokit 5.

http://www.linaeum.com/productinfo/other/behringer_2030P/

http://www.linaeum.com/productinfo/other/krk_rokit5/
Posted By: MarkSJohnson Re: I need a pair of Studio Monitors - 09/29/09 05:46 PM
I think in the general lower to midrange line, you get what you pay for. I'm using Mackie 824s and love them. I'm not as familiar with these Mackies but that seems to be an amazing price in comparison to my 824s....
Posted By: MarkSJohnson Re: I need a pair of Studio Monitors - 09/29/09 05:49 PM
I'll add that that price at B&H is very competitive from what I'm otherwise seeing, and also throw in the brand of Adam monitors as having earned a very good reputation over the last few years (though I haven't heard them personally).
Posted By: Murph Re: I need a pair of Studio Monitors - 09/29/09 05:54 PM
That would make yours, the "Big Mackies".
Posted By: MarkSJohnson Re: I need a pair of Studio Monitors - 09/29/09 05:55 PM
That's what they were called in the movie "Road Ho's"...
Posted By: Murph Re: I need a pair of Studio Monitors - 09/29/09 06:20 PM
For the benefit of us all, I'm going to skip the obvious resulting "secret sauce" joke.
Posted By: BlueJays1 Re: I need a pair of Studio Monitors - 09/29/09 08:51 PM
Are you around any local shops which you can audition any of these speakers?
Posted By: fredk Re: I need a pair of Studio Monitors - 09/30/09 02:00 AM
Those Behringers also come in an active model.
Posted By: MarkSJohnson Re: I need a pair of Studio Monitors - 09/30/09 12:25 PM
If you purchase a less-active model, do they begin to sound a little fat in the midrange?
Posted By: pmbuko Re: I need a pair of Studio Monitors - 09/30/09 02:49 PM
No, but the woofers do start to droop.
Posted By: dewd Re: I need a pair of Studio Monitors - 09/30/09 02:58 PM
Check out M-Audio. Lower priced but still perform adequately (at least in my less than professional setup).
Posted By: Lampshade Re: I need a pair of Studio Monitors - 10/04/09 05:20 AM
Keep the Tannoys and get new drivers for them.

http://www.speakerrepair.com/mm5/merchant.mvc?Screen=CTGY&Category_Code=ADD_T_Tannoy
© Axiom Message Boards