Axiom Home Page
Posted By: reidmc speaker break-in - 03/11/10 05:22 AM
I'm wondering if anyone here has heard any speaker break-in effect for either of small Axiom fronts. . .in other words, any changes in speaker characteristics after 50-100 hours of use.
Posted By: BlueJays1 Re: speaker break-in - 03/11/10 05:35 AM
Axiom has stated that their speakers do not require break-in nor that the sound characteristics change over time due to use.

Your room/placement, volume, any processor settings enabled and the quality of the recording you are playing through your speakers at the time will be the biggest determinants on the perceived quality of sound. Psychoacoustics is another important factor to take into consideration when judging a speaker over time.
Posted By: CatBrat Re: speaker break-in - 03/11/10 06:15 AM
I have noticed break-in with some W22's I just hooked up (but not mounted in wall yet). The difference is in the low end. When I first applied power to them, they sounded tinny to my ears. I've played 2 CD's on them, so far, and the bass gets extended as I listen to them. I think most people would call that "ear adjustment" but I don't think so. Not after just 2 CD's. Same with the M22's I bought 3 months ago. The more I listened to them, the more bass I noticed.
Posted By: jakewash Re: speaker break-in - 03/11/10 09:57 AM
I 'think' my 6 year old M22s/VP100 and QS8s sound as good today as they did when they were bought. Is that a long enough speaker break in?
Posted By: SirQuack Re: speaker break-in - 03/11/10 05:35 PM
Another break-in thread, why don't people search...no there is no breakin, contrary to what some will tell you readmc. However, your brain does break in.
Posted By: Argon Re: speaker break-in - 03/11/10 05:52 PM
 Originally Posted By: sirquack
Another break-in thread, why don't people search...no there is no breakin, contrary to what some will tell you readmc. However, your brain does break in.

Which is better....M60 or M80?
Posted By: Anonymous Re: speaker break-in - 03/11/10 06:03 PM
Uh oh...I know better than that now...
Posted By: Adrian Re: speaker break-in - 03/11/10 06:06 PM
 Originally Posted By: Argon

Which is better....M60 or M80?

Should I bi-amp my M80's?
Posted By: Anonymous Re: speaker break-in - 03/11/10 06:10 PM
Are you trying to get banned?
Posted By: medic8r Re: speaker break-in - 03/11/10 07:19 PM
Whatever you do, use a low-watt tube amp. Any tube amp is obviously better than any solid-state amp.
Posted By: jakewash Re: speaker break-in - 03/11/10 07:24 PM
I like The Tubes.

Personally, I would say speakers are in a constant state of break-in as the moving parts start to wear ever so subtly, but it is not enough wear to be noticed, kind of like the wear going on in your cars driveline, you don't notice it till one of the components breaks.
Posted By: pmbuko Re: speaker break-in - 03/11/10 09:11 PM
Make sure you pre-heat your tubes for 20 minutes in a 150°F oven.
Posted By: terzaghi Re: speaker break-in - 03/11/10 10:08 PM
Speaking of break in, I noticed that the goofy thin yellow shady maple golden helix speaker wire mentioned in the static surround thread had a quote at the bottom their product page that said:

WARNING: DO NOT USE ANY BREAK-IN DEVICES OF ANY KIND ON OUR WIRES! They will seriously degrade the sound. Use only music to break in our cables.

LOL!

Link here
http://shop.mapleshadestore.com/prodinfo.asp?number=GOLDENH
Posted By: fredk Re: speaker break-in - 03/12/10 02:05 AM
After a break-in my tube amp got wired and went bi. Does that count?
Posted By: reidmc Re: speaker break-in - 03/12/10 02:52 AM
Thanks to Dr. House, for noting AXIOM's position on this.

As for the majority of the responses, if you don't have a useful or entertaining response to a post, why post at all?
Posted By: fredk Re: speaker break-in - 03/12/10 02:55 AM
 Originally Posted By: reidmc

As for the majority of the responses, if you don't have a useful or entertaining response to a post, why post at all?

You hav'nt been here long have you? We like to randomly respond with... stuff, the further off topic the better. Reading the posts backwards afterwords is even better.
Posted By: terzaghi Re: speaker break-in - 03/12/10 03:03 AM
Generally speaking, the original question gets answered somewhere in the thread though...
Posted By: chesseroo Re: speaker break-in - 03/12/10 03:14 AM
 Originally Posted By: sirquack

I sympathize with SirQs frustration, having been here way too long perhaps, but i have to say, the 'new' iteration of the search engine really sucks.
The old one was far better.
I tried the Google one that Peter setup but i haven't found it to be that accurate which is somewhat surprising for Google.
Posted By: Ken.C Re: speaker break-in - 03/12/10 03:47 AM
I think some of the older posts have gone the way of the dodo. Not certain, though, but that would explain why neither search appears to work well.

Right, let's bring power conditioning into this as well. I plugged my TV into a UPS, and now the TV speakers sound better than the crummy crossovers in my Axioms!
Posted By: Anonymous Re: speaker break-in - 03/12/10 05:12 AM
 Originally Posted By: kcarlile
I think some of the older posts have gone the way of the dodo. Not certain, though, but that would explain why neither search appears to work well.

Right, let's bring power conditioning into this as well. I plugged my TV into a UPS, and now the TV speakers sound better than the crummy crossovers in my Axioms!

That's unpossible.
Posted By: davew Re: speaker break-in - 03/12/10 06:31 AM
 Originally Posted By: reidmc

The direction this thread took reminds me of the Duffers in The Voyage of the Dawn Treader. Some of you might remember the monopod tribe who were generally good natured and enjoyed making obvious statements and agreeing with one another.

So reidmc, the guys on this foruum do have a wealth of helpful information and have helped me a lot in my home audio/video questions. Unfortunately, though, you hit upon one of the questions that is asked frequently and they got carried away. So stick around and feel free to ask questions. Don't let them scare you away.

-Dave
Posted By: jakewash Re: speaker break-in - 03/12/10 07:36 AM
Who? Us? Get carried away? Not unless it's in a straight jacket. \:\)
Posted By: JohnK Re: speaker break-in - 03/12/10 07:49 AM
Reid, welcome. Yes, this topic has been pretty much beaten to death over the past few years, but lets go into a little more detail anyway. The latest comment on it by resident Axiom audio expert Alan Lofft is found in this thread . It should be kept in mind that woofers cycle hundreds of times and tweeters thousands of times in their very first second of operation, which helps explain why any permanent "break-in" happens very quickly, most likely during testing at the factory. Research by Dr. Floyd Toole has also shown that there is no long term break-in process. A measurable "loosening" of the driver suspension occurs almost instantaneously every time a speaker is played, which then reverts to its resting state a few minutes after the speaker has been powered down, and no further permanent change has taken place.

Although we often read that as much as hundreds of hours of "break-in" are recommended for speakers, players, amplifiers and even pieces of connecting wire, there's no factual support for these claims, which are a relatively recent audio phenomenon. It's been said, not entirely tongue-in-cheek, that "Break-in was invented so that we couldn't return anything!".
Posted By: RickF Re: speaker break-in - 03/12/10 08:44 AM
If your speakers get too broke-in, you can always turn them into useful media cabinets...

Posted By: Adrian Re: speaker break-in - 03/12/10 01:46 PM
Lol, that's brilliant Rick!!
Posted By: DaveG Re: speaker break-in - 03/12/10 01:58 PM
Very nice.
Posted By: cb919 Re: speaker break-in - 03/12/10 02:48 PM
That's awesome Rick.

How do the voicecoils fit? Does filling the internal cabinet improve the sound? \:D
Posted By: alan Re: speaker break-in - 03/12/10 05:17 PM
Hi Rick,

Love 'em! Trying to guess what those were (are)--old Cerwin-Vegas? Pioneer? Sansui? Or some house brand?

Alan
Posted By: EFalardeau Re: speaker break-in - 03/12/10 05:52 PM
Wow! That's really cool!
Posted By: medic8r Re: speaker break-in - 03/12/10 05:54 PM
That is really awesome.
Posted By: CatBrat Re: speaker break-in - 03/12/10 06:04 PM
Back to the topic at hand. How long did it take you to, you know, break them puppies in?
Posted By: RickF Re: speaker break-in - 03/12/10 06:05 PM
Actually I just google-imaged 'broken speakers' and found them, here's the step-by-step guide to turn old speakers into media cabinets...

Speaker Media Cabinets

Pretty slick!
Posted By: Anonymous Re: speaker break-in - 03/12/10 06:15 PM
Oh, you could've been a legend...
Posted By: RickF Re: speaker break-in - 03/12/10 06:37 PM
Just like Jesse James.
Posted By: Argon Re: speaker break-in - 03/14/10 01:48 PM
 Originally Posted By: fredk
After a break-in my tube amp got wired and went bi. Does that count?

Talk about ROTFL.....I almost puked on this one....
Posted By: Redo Re: speaker break-in - 03/15/10 06:28 AM
Play them for a few hundred hours and call it broken in. No need to worry about it otherwise, one of the most subtle of changes in the chain.
Posted By: ClubNeon Re: speaker break-in - 03/15/10 01:37 PM
Is that more or less subtle than the changes which occur after breaking in the speakers or cables?
Posted By: EFalardeau Re: speaker break-in - 03/15/10 01:45 PM
I broke a cable last week and it affected the sound 100%.
Posted By: CatBrat Re: speaker break-in - 03/15/10 02:08 PM
I broke in my speaker with a hammer and it affected the sound 100% also.
Posted By: Argon Re: speaker break-in - 03/15/10 02:50 PM
I never watched "Broke Back Mountain"
Posted By: Anonymous Re: speaker break-in - 03/15/10 03:52 PM
I almost broke my back climbing a mountain once.
Posted By: MarkSJohnson Re: speaker break-in - 03/15/10 05:53 PM
I've heard of "Breaking Benjamin"....
Posted By: Adrian Re: speaker break-in - 03/15/10 06:04 PM
After a few more slices of this pizza, I'll doin' some breakin' myself.
Posted By: pmbuko Re: speaker break-in - 03/15/10 06:25 PM
I once broke into a speaker but there was nothing of value in there to steal. Just a bunch of white fluffy stuff and some random copper wires.
Posted By: jakewash Re: speaker break-in - 03/15/10 06:46 PM
Isn't that copper worth something these days?
Posted By: EFalardeau Re: speaker break-in - 03/15/10 07:10 PM
 Originally Posted By: jakewash
Isn't that copper is worth something these days?

only in areas with high crime rates...
Posted By: jakewash Re: speaker break-in - 03/15/10 07:27 PM
It looks to have doubled in price over the past year ~$1.50 to ~$3.31 Not bad.......I wish I bought some.
Posted By: Ken.C Re: speaker break-in - 03/15/10 08:25 PM
Quick, sell your cables!
Posted By: Redo Re: speaker break-in - 03/16/10 05:28 AM
Mechanical parts never change over use, therefor break-in is a fallacy
Posted By: pmbuko Re: speaker break-in - 03/16/10 04:29 PM
If you haven't read this quite detailed article on Audioholics, you should:

Speaker Break In: Fact of Fiction

For those in a hurry, here's the conclusion at the end of page 2:

Originally Posted By: Audioholics.com
Conclusion

In an electrodynamic driver featuring the usual surround-diaphragm-spider construction, driver suspension mechanical compliance plays a key roll in determining the measured value of various driver parameters. All of these parameters will shift as the mechanical compliance of the driver's suspension shifts in value. The bulk of a driver's compliance shift will occur at the time of initial burn in.

Subsequent shifts in compliance are largely temporary in nature. An example of one such mechanism contributing to such temporary shifts is that which arise from the elastic deformation of butadiene-styrene surrounds. Given sufficient time to recover, these changes tend to reverse themselves and the driver returns to its pre-stimulus state.

As the enclosure compliance in both totally enclosed boxes and vented cabinets dominates that of the driver for most practical implementations of either type enclosure currently in production, any potential changes in system amplitude response attributable to changes in driver suspension mechanical compliance tend to be minimized. Normal production unit-to-unit driver spec variances can affect final amplitude response of a system to a larger degree than that expected from normal pre- post-burn in driver suspension compliance changes.

Posted By: darcman Re: speaker break-in - 03/16/10 07:47 PM
I have an ifinity basslink in my car, I think I pretty much cranked it from the get go. Well anyways, after 2 or 3 weeks, the bass was noticeably more. This was the only speaker that I ever noticed, that had a breakin period.
The infinity basslink is a powered 10" sub with a 10" passive radiator. If anyone is ever looking into one, theyre actually pretty good, not earth shattering, but a healthy amount of bass.
Posted By: RayLewis Re: speaker break-in - 04/01/10 09:27 PM
On the break-in question, I recently bought some Orb speakers for a bedroom. In their manual they said that there would be some break-in: "Like all speaker systems, our speakers require a little time to break in. They will sound great out of the box, but even better as they play for a couple of hours over the first few days. Use the speakers normally during the break in period. There is no need to break in the speakers any other way. As you play them, you will notice that the output from the satellites becomes more well-rounded and the output from the subwoofer becomes tighter and louder. You will also notice that the overall integration between the satellites and subwoofer improves as the speakers break in: You might have to adjust the volume of the subwoofer during the break in period to best match the satellites. Once a balance has been achieved, you will probably not have to make many changes unless there are
differences in the dynamic range or recording of your various audio sources."

I'm frankly not sure if I hear any difference after the break-in period. I've listened for it, and think I hear a slight difference, but who knows. Any difference is subtle.

As an aside, I actually like the little system I got from Orb (including a nice little sub). Nothing like the Axiom setup in another room, but I don't think even Orb would claim to compare to larger speakers like the Axioms. I would have preferred Axioms, but they were too big for this particular room . . . .
Posted By: Ken.C Re: speaker break-in - 04/01/10 09:48 PM
Axiom does have some very small speakers, just fyi. Glad you like the Orbs.
Posted By: 2x6spds Re: speaker break-in - 04/01/10 10:41 PM
 Originally Posted By: kcarlile
Axiom does have some very small speakers, just fyi. Glad you like the Orbs.

What is this? Is this a subtle "shame on you for not buying Axiom's little speakers?"

Is this a subtle chiding?
Posted By: jakewash Re: speaker break-in - 04/01/10 11:48 PM
I don't think so, it sounds like he didn't know Axiom had smaller speakers than the M2's which are of course the M0's and bought orb audio instead. He did say he wished Axiom had smaller speakers.
 Originally Posted By: RayLewis
I would have preferred Axioms, but they were too big for this particular room . . . .

Posted By: 2x6spds Re: speaker break-in - 04/02/10 02:47 AM
OK, thank you for not keeeeelllling me. Is that French?
Posted By: CV Re: speaker break-in - 04/02/10 05:19 AM
I wouldn't mind hearing more in-depth impressions of the Orbs. I keep thinking of picking up a pair just to try them. As far as their use, I think they'd just go with my monitor (whenever I buy a new one) so I can still have computer audio when I'm using my main system for something else. Any small speakers would work, really, but I do like balls. Spheres, I mean.
Posted By: jakewash Re: speaker break-in - 04/02/10 08:20 AM
 Originally Posted By: 2x6spds
OK, thank you for not keeeeelllling me. Is that French?

Have not seen Achmed the Dead Terrorist ?
Posted By: RayLewis Re: speaker break-in - 04/02/10 01:46 PM
I didn't take kcarlile's comment as a subtle dig, just as an FYI.

I actually posted about my situation here and exchanged some e-mails with Alan. Just couldn't get any Axiom setup that would seem to work for my particular situation. I don't recall a mention of M0's, but it's possible someone did discuss those and I determined they wouldn't work. It's also possible I just asked the wrong questions and thus didn't get that information. In any event, it wasn't such a huge deal because it's just a master bedroom, and the Orbs seem to work well in my situation. In fact, I actually ended up doing something very different in terms of configuration than what I originally planned, and I think the Orbs in particular allowed me to do that. As I said, I would have preferred Axioms because I am so comfortable with the product and because, frankly, if I'm going to spend money on speakers I'd just assume send it to Axiom because I like the company so much. I'm sure they'll make it without my $700 dollars, though, or whatever the Axiom alternative would have cost.

CV: As for impressions, I am probably the last person to give a real review, as I don't know what I'm listening for on a more technical level. My ability to analyze these things is pretty much limited to "I like it," or "I don't like it." That being said, I think they sound good, particularly for their size. I actually like the sub a lot, seems to integrate well with the speakers and actually gives a lot of base for it's size. For a more meaningful analysis, though, you could take a look at this AVS thread: http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=769976. Toward the end of the thread somebody comes in who seems quite knowledgeable and discusses some of the limits of the Orbs. He gets yelled at a lot (it's an Orb thread), but what he said seemed pretty reasonable to the unitiated like me. Someone with a better ear than mine might have some concerns with what that particular person was describing.
Posted By: pmbuko Re: speaker break-in - 04/02/10 03:33 PM
 Quote:
I wouldn't mind hearing more in-depth impressions of the Orbs. I keep thinking of picking up a pair just to try them.

I can tell you that they're much better than bags of sand, but what they're attached to can really make or break 'em.
Posted By: CV Re: speaker break-in - 04/02/10 04:47 PM
Thanks for the link!
Posted By: medic8r Re: speaker break-in - 04/02/10 05:26 PM
 Originally Posted By: pmbuko
 Quote:
I wouldn't mind hearing more in-depth impressions of the Orbs. I keep thinking of picking up a pair just to try them.

I can tell you that they're much better than bags of sand, but what they're attached to can really make or break 'em.

And be careful how you tweak them. Don't just start fiddling with the knobs haphazardly.
Posted By: Murph Re: speaker break-in - 04/07/10 03:35 PM
That's what she said!
© Axiom Message Boards