Axiom Home Page
Posted By: audiosavant Klaatu... OMG... Brilliant!!! - 02/07/11 02:53 AM
I grew up hearing about Klaatu and the (record label enabled) controversy/rumor about the "secret' identity of the band (the Beatles). I also know that there was a bit of blow-back about this.

I had only ever heard a snatch of a cover version of Calling Occupants (Of Interplanetary Craft)but had always wanted to hear this unusual and much talked about Canadian band.

Well, I just got the first two albums (on a single disc) and all I can say is WOW!

Such wonderful future proof experimental pop/rock with amazing modern production.

I can't believe that I've never heard this.

Now what I want to know is: It's obvious the audio production is stellar and extremely audiophile. But I've heard that most re-masters pale in comparison to the original vinyl versions and a few (out of print) cd releases.

I simply must have this on vinyl!

Any suggestions on a pressing/version on cd/vinyl that is better than my cd two-fer?

Also, can any Canucks chime in on how this incredible group of musicians/studio wizards are thought of in their native land?

The fact that they are not more well known is baffling to me.

They really sound like a brand new band. I guess it never really pays to be ahead of your time...

They kinda remind me a little of Super Furry Animals.

And of course the Beatles. More specifically, Paul McCartney.

Maybe Todd Rundgren in full psychedelic pop mode.

Man this is incredible music!!! grin
Posted By: merchman Re: Klaatu... OMG... Brilliant!!! - 02/07/11 03:06 AM
My brother and I used to listen to their album alot in the 70's.

We always thought it was the Beatles. confused
Posted By: Adrian Re: Klaatu... OMG... Brilliant!!! - 02/07/11 03:25 AM
Terry, I only recall Klaatu by name....had to look them up on Youtube to reaquaint myself to be honest. I recognize a couple of songs and they had moderate success here but in southern Ontario(late 70s) the main local bands (I can recall) were Rush, Triumph, Teenage Head, Max Webster(a couple of guys joined Klaatu later on when MW disbanded), Saga, FM ect. I'm sure I've forgotten a few.
Posted By: Kruncher Re: Klaatu... OMG... Brilliant!!! - 02/07/11 04:09 AM
Klaatu (Band) and the Official website.
© Axiom Message Boards