Axiom Home Page
Posted By: audiosavant Some of your favorite live recordings? - 03/11/11 04:39 AM
I'm sure this topic has been covered here somewhere, but what are some of your all time favorite live recordings?

I just got Little Feat's Waiting For Columbus cd. I had heard a good bit of it when I was a punk ass kid growing up since everybody had a copy. And even though I always kinda dug their sound, at that time, it was way too southern rock sounding and un-hip for me to want it.

Boy was I an idiot... because it's one of the greatest live albums ever!

A few more of my faves are Zappa's Roxy And Elsewhere, Genesis' Live and Seconds Out, Blue Oyster Cult's On Your Feet Or On Your Knees and Phish's A Live One.

I think I have more live jazz recordings than rock or pop albums.

With the exception of Frank Zappa, who had a million great "live" albums. grin

Any more recommendations?
Posted By: Dave B Re: Some of your favorite live recordings? - 03/11/11 04:46 AM
A Live One is one of the great official releases. I assume we're talking about those, rather than shows downloaded from tapers or ETree.

People are right to recommend Dave and Tim at Radio City as an amazing recording, but I actually found the setlist to be kind of weak. Music-wise I still prefer the original release from Luther College.

Call me crazy but I still get a kick out of the Metallica concert with an orchestra.

But my all time favorite is the Grateful Dead live at the Fillmore box set from 1969. Something about the bluesier PigPen era just gets me. Always has.
Posted By: Ken.C Re: Some of your favorite live recordings? - 03/11/11 04:49 AM
Oh my god, someone else actually likes S&M?!
Posted By: Adrian Re: Some of your favorite live recordings? - 03/11/11 04:52 AM
Loreena McKennitt, Nights from the Alhambra.

Frampton Comes Alive.

Led Zep, How the West Was Won/The Song Remains the Same.

The Band, Last Waltz.

Neil Young, Live Rust.....
Posted By: CV Re: Some of your favorite live recordings? - 03/11/11 04:55 AM
As far as live recordings, I think I prefer concert DVDs, or better yet, concert Blu-rays, to anything else. I have some live CDs I'll listen to on occasion, like Rasputina's A Radical Recital, but mostly if I want to try to experience the "live" performance at home, I want the visual aspect of it as well.
Posted By: jakewash Re: Some of your favorite live recordings? - 03/11/11 05:08 AM
I agree with CV, my fav DVD is the Eagles Farewell tour - Melbourne and for BR it is David Gilmore - Remember That Night.
I agree about live dvds. That's one of my favorite things about HT!

And all of your suggestions I've heard and seen.

The Last Waltz is one of the greatest "band" films ever. Of course it helps that Martin Scorcese directed it!

I think the Yes' Symphonic dvd is one of the most impressive concert dvds you'll ever see, performance and sound quality-wise.

And King Crimson's live dvds will spoil you forever. And knock your head off! grin

Anyone see any Radiohead dvds? I might be interested in that. Although I don't think I've liked much of anything after OK Computer. Those first three albums are the best of their work imho.
Posted By: CV Re: Some of your favorite live recordings? - 03/11/11 07:08 AM
As far as concert DVDs, my go-to ones are Tori Amos's Welcome to Sunny Florida, Guster's Guster On Ice: Live From Portland Maine, Rodrigo y Gabriela's Live in Japan, Björk's Vespertine Live at Royal Opera House, and Green Day's Bullet in a Bible. On Blu-ray, the only one I really love so far is Regina Spektor's Live in London, for obvious reasons. I hope a lot more artists start releasing concert Blu-rays.
Posted By: medic8r Re: Some of your favorite live recordings? - 03/11/11 03:16 PM
Originally Posted By: kcarlile
Oh my god, someone else actually likes S&M?!

Hey, get a room, you two.
Posted By: medic8r Re: Some of your favorite live recordings? - 03/11/11 03:30 PM
I must have watched the Rush: Grace Under Pressure tour video (on VHS!) dozens of times in high school. It holds up well. My current favorite concert of theirs is R30.

Another favorite is Oasis, There and Then (DVD). It catches them at their peak in 1995-1996, playing football stadiums, with tens of thousands of fans singing along. Really makes you feel like you're there. Really improved my enjoyment of "Live Forever". Crank up the bass!
Gotta agree on the Green Day mention, Charles!
Posted By: bdpf Re: Some of your favorite live recordings? - 03/11/11 04:57 PM
My 2 favorites live recordings are Dave Matthews and Tim Reynolds at Radio City on Blu and the Eagles Hell Freezes Over on DVD.
Posted By: Rock_Head Re: Some of your favorite live recordings? - 03/11/11 06:06 PM
Ken, ya gotta throw Cunning Stunts in there as well. I haven't watched the S&M concert for a while. I'll have to drag that out for a listen this weekend.
Posted By: Ken.C Re: Some of your favorite live recordings? - 03/11/11 06:59 PM
I've only seen Cunning Stunts once, but I think it has my favorite rendition of One on there. Seems like the bass is actually doing something in that recording, as opposed to all the others.
Posted By: Rock_Head Re: Some of your favorite live recordings? - 03/11/11 08:27 PM
I haven't watched Cunning Stunts for a while as the language is a little too colorful for my 6-1/2 year old son at this point in his life.
Posted By: Adrian Re: Some of your favorite live recordings? - 03/11/11 09:01 PM
SRV at the El Mocambo is a classic, very small intimate venue. ZZ Top live from Texas is a good one too.
Posted By: SirQuack Re: Some of your favorite live recordings? - 03/11/11 09:08 PM
concert in central park
Posted By: BobKay Re: Some of your favorite live recordings? - 03/11/11 09:11 PM
Originally Posted By: sirquack
concert in central park

I didn't know you were a Streisand fan.
Originally Posted By: Adrian
SRV at the El Mocambo is a classic, very small intimate venue.

Awesome performance, but horrible camerawork/switching and mediocre sound stop it from being on my list...even though it's SRV!
Posted By: rneill Re: Some of your favorite live recordings? - 03/11/11 10:47 PM
Neil Young - Live at Massey Hall 1971
Norah Jones - Live in New Orleans & New York City (with the Peter Malick Group)
John Butler Trio - Live at St. Gallen
Playing For Change (if you haven't heard this you must give it a listen, it doesn't get any live-er then this, they go around the world and record different street musicians playing different parts of the same song and mix them all together)
http://www.playingforchange.com/episodes/2/Stand_By_Me
Posted By: Ya_basta Re: Some of your favorite live recordings? - 03/11/11 10:48 PM
Originally Posted By: bdpf
My 2 favorites live recordings are Dave Matthews and Tim Reynolds at Radio City on Blu and the Eagles Hell Freezes Over on DVD.

Ditto.

I also own Live in Melbourne, and it's on par.
I'm looking forward to the new Rage concert Blu-Ray that's supposed to be out in April!
Posted By: tomtuttle Re: Some of your favorite live recordings? - 03/11/11 11:13 PM
I love live recordings. Great thread idea.

Elton John 11-17-70.

AC/DC at Donnington.

Alison Krauss and Robert Plant - Crossroads

Grace Potter and the Nocturnals - Live at Skowhegan

Joe Jackson - Big World (technically, a studio album, but recorded live as a full band with no overdubs)

Tragically Hip - Live between us

The Who - Live at Leeds

I know I'm forgetting a lot. Just wanted to get in on the fun.
Posted By: Kruncher Re: Some of your favorite live recordings? - 03/11/11 11:24 PM
eek I didn't know that anyone south of the 49th even knew of The Hip. wink

Tom Petty & The Heartbreaker's Live Anthology set has been dominating my iPod lately.
Posted By: Adrian Re: Some of your favorite live recordings? - 03/11/11 11:29 PM
Agreed, Mark. I don't think it was intended to be put to VHS/DVD, more of a local broadcast, City TV Toronto I think.
Originally Posted By: MarkSJohnson
Originally Posted By: Adrian
SRV at the El Mocambo is a classic, very small intimate venue.

Awesome performance, but horrible camerawork/switching and mediocre sound stop it from being on my list...even though it's SRV!

Posted By: CV Re: Some of your favorite live recordings? - 03/12/11 04:55 AM
Originally Posted By: MarkSJohnson
Gotta agree on the Green Day mention, Charles!

I didn't even realize Bullet in a Bible was also released on Blu-ray. I may upgrade sometime.
Posted By: Dave B Re: Some of your favorite live recordings? - 03/12/11 05:35 AM
Originally Posted By: Kruncher
eek I didn't know that anyone south of the 49th even knew of The Hip. wink

I've seen the Hip!

They opened for Blues Traveler in the middle of nowhere Pennsylvania over a decade ago. There might've been more Hip fans there than Traveler fans.
Posted By: Eno Re: Some of your favorite live recordings? - 03/12/11 02:41 PM
[CD] Santana - Sacred Fire (Live in South America)

[DVD] Pink Floyd - Pulse
Posted By: ToddE Re: Some of your favorite live recordings? - 03/12/11 03:39 PM
Derek and the Dominos - Live at the Fillmore
Allman Brothers Band - Live at the Fillmore
Lynyrd Skynyrd - One More From the Road
AC/DC - If You Want Blood You've Got It
Rolling Stones - Get Your Ya Ya's Out
Wings Over America
Kiss - Alive
Judas Priest - Unleashed in the East
Jethro Tull - Live Bursting Out
Emerson, Lake and Palmer - Welcome Back My Friends...
Yes - Yessongs
George Harrison - Live in Japan
Chicago - At Carnegie Hall
Posted By: Dundas Re: Some of your favorite live recordings? - 03/12/11 04:00 PM
Bob Marley and The Wailers - Babylon By Bus
Talking Heads - Stop Making Sense (Blu-ray)
Posted By: pmbuko Re: Some of your favorite live recordings? - 03/12/11 10:25 PM
I always misread Cunning Stunts, as I'm sure was intended.
Posted By: Rock_Head Re: Some of your favorite live recordings? - 03/13/11 04:58 AM
I believe you are correct on that one. laugh
Posted By: Rock_Head Re: Some of your favorite live recordings? - 03/13/11 05:03 AM
Robin Trower- Live
Bob Seger & The Silver Bullet Band - Live Bullet!
Peter Frampton - Frampton Comes Alive
Posted By: INANE Re: Some of your favorite live recordings? - 03/15/11 04:19 AM
I've never witnessed a concert DVD better than Underworld: Everything, Everything

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Everything,_Everything
Posted By: davidsch Re: Some of your favorite live recordings? - 03/15/11 05:26 PM
Queen - Live at Wembley (DVD released 2003 from a 1986 concert).
Posted By: Rock_Head Re: Some of your favorite live recordings? - 03/15/11 08:11 PM
Try the 'Anesthetize' BD from Porcupine Tree. The audio and video gurus have rated this as one of the top live concert discs out there.
Posted By: sonicfox Re: Some of your favorite live recordings? - 03/16/11 06:38 AM
Originally Posted By: INANE
I've never witnessed a concert DVD better than Underworld: Everything, Everything

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Everything,_Everything

I've GOT to check this out! Thanks!
Posted By: fredk Re: Some of your favorite live recordings? - 03/20/11 06:12 PM
If its live its on my favourites list.

CSNY, 4 way street was the first I picked up. I was introduced to Dire Striats via a tape copy of some live performance though I never knew which. Live at the BBC is in my current colleciton.

I saw Zappa live, that was more than enough for me (more the crowd than Zappa...).

I also had a Jethro Tull live tape, but it died a while back.

Moody Blues at the Isle of Man 1971 is another good one.
Originally Posted By: fredk

I saw Zappa live, that was more than enough for me (more the crowd than Zappa...).

Where? What tour and line-up?

What about the "crowd" turned you off?
Posted By: fredk Re: Some of your favorite live recordings? - 03/21/11 05:43 PM
That would have been back in '77 or '78. It was before Sheik Yerboutiwas released

The crowd was a bunch of druggies. Its the only concert I have been at where people were openly shooting up in the washrooms. Watched one guy casually turn his head and puke while walking past where we were sitting.

Given Zappa's distain for drugs, it was a bizzare scene.

The most memorable song was 6.The Illinois Enema Bandit. Hmm. Doing a search that would put it in '78.
© Axiom Message Boards