Axiom Home Page
Posted By: Murph Musical Frequency Chart - 08/11/11 05:55 PM
Found this on a car audio forum. I have no idea if it's accurate but it is interesting to see all the data together.

Posted By: alan Re: Musical Frequency Chart - 08/11/11 09:01 PM
Murph, it's one of the better charts I've seen. Quite accurate.
I presume the yellow in the color coding represents harmonics (overtones) and the red is the range of fundamental frequencies. The only slight addition I'd make is to extend the lower part of the pipe-organ range to 16 Hz, but that only applies to some pipe organs with really giant low-frequency pipes.

Even the descriptors at the bottom of the chart, "warmth", "honk", etc., are in the correct frequency ranges.

Alan
Posted By: pmbuko Re: Musical Frequency Chart - 08/11/11 09:26 PM
Where would you put "blatt"?
Posted By: BlueJays1 Re: Musical Frequency Chart - 08/12/11 12:48 AM
Nice chart! Never knew the chest/thump (that punch in chest feeling??) was in the sub bass region. Always thought that was more in the bass region noted by the chart. Learned some new terms as well. Cool.

Posted By: medic8r Re: Musical Frequency Chart - 08/12/11 12:46 PM
Originally Posted By: alan
I presume the yellow in the color coding represents harmonics (overtones) and the red is the range of fundamental frequencies.

Thanks for answering a question I was meaning to ask!

Cool chart, indeed.
Posted By: alan Re: Musical Frequency Chart - 08/12/11 01:18 PM
Oh, sure. Also left off the chart is the orchestral bass drum, which come in different diameters. The larger ones are huge, on a stand in the percussion section of a large orchestra.

Typically, they generate amazing low bass energy in the 30-Hz region or lower, again depending on the diameter of the drum. The chart only shows tympani, which are quite a bit higher in pitch than the orchestral bass drum.

If you ever listen to any of the Telarc classical or pops concert CDs (usually Erich Kunzel and the Cincinnatti Philharmonic), they use a large-diameter drum. In days of vinyl, only a few of the very best phono cartridges would track the "Telarc drum" without jumping out of the groove.

Of course, with CDs and subwoofers, we needn't worry about such primitive playback and we can hear the Telarc drum in all its glory.

Regards,
Alan
Posted By: J. B. Re: Musical Frequency Chart - 08/12/11 02:14 PM
Re. musical charts, have a look here:
http://www.google.ca/search?q=music+freq...16&bih=1088
Posted By: chesseroo Re: Musical Frequency Chart - 08/12/11 03:31 PM
Very neat to see that summarized.
Were you trying to figure out where your female sounding voice fit on the chart there Murph?
smile
Posted By: alan Re: Musical Frequency Chart - 08/12/11 05:39 PM
What's great about the chart Murph posted is that on the piano keyboard, it even shows (in gray), the extended bass keys found on the Austrian Boesendorfer piano, the lowest of which is around 16 Hz. The lower keys are rarely used by concert pianists. I have only one recording of French piano transcriptions in which the very low keys are used for a selection called "The Sunken Cathedral". The pianist is Carole Rosenberger and it may be still available.

The bottom string on a normal concert grand piano is at 28 Hz, correctly noted in the chart.

Regards,
Alan
Posted By: Ken.C Re: Musical Frequency Chart - 08/12/11 05:41 PM
What about the higher notes on that keyboard? Does the Boesendorfer also have those? I can't remember.
Posted By: bridgman Re: Musical Frequency Chart - 08/12/11 07:30 PM
The chart is missing "bright" wink
Posted By: alan Re: Musical Frequency Chart - 08/12/11 09:39 PM
I can't remember either, and like you, I was wondering about the higher keys, also in gray. I figured someone would eventually ask me about those.

If either of us is intrigued enough to check, there's likely a Boesendorfer web site. But I just opened a cold beer . . .

Cheers,
Alan
Posted By: Ken.C Re: Musical Frequency Chart - 08/12/11 10:00 PM
Only up to the 8th octave, not the 9th.
Posted By: St_PatGuy Re: Musical Frequency Chart - 08/12/11 11:57 PM
Originally Posted By: Ken.C
What about the higher notes on that keyboard? Does the Boesendorfer also have those?

Only when it's kicked in the balls.
Posted By: Murph Re: Musical Frequency Chart - 08/15/11 05:53 PM
Originally Posted By: chesseroo
Very neat to see that summarized.
Were you trying to figure out where your female sounding voice fit on the chart there Murph?
smile

Good one.
Although in reality, the only way my singing is not painful to the ear is if I make a very conscious effort to stay in the baritone range. It's not my natural voice though so if I don't concentrate, I sneak higher and it becomes quit laughable.
© Axiom Message Boards