Axiom Home Page
Posted By: gearcruncher Axiom M60Ti - 04/20/12 03:53 AM
A guy I know is selling a pair of M60 Ti Axioms from 2003 .
Could any of you guys put a price on these critters ?
He says they are 7 out of 10 in appearance and sound excellent but he is comparing them to version 3 M60,s .
Is there a big difference in performance from the version 3 im comparison to the MTi ?
Could they be updated to the 3rd version ?
I would have to have them shipped and going by his word that they sound great .
Any assistance is appreciated .
Posted By: dakkon Re: Axiom M60Ti - 04/20/12 03:56 AM
I have a pair of M60ti's, as well as a VP-180.. The VP-180 is a V3 speaker.... I can not tell any difference in sound quality between the m60's and the 180...

Price.. I don't have any idea what they are worth now.... how much are you offering the guy?
Posted By: gearcruncher Re: Axiom M60Ti - 04/20/12 04:12 AM
I havnt made an offer yet , I am just kicking with the idea of picking up some timbre matched fronts . I am running pioneers for fronts and just picked up a new VP160 center channel . The pioneers sound much different than the VP160 .
If I can grab the M60ti,s for a reasonable price , i will roll the dice but if there is a big difference in speaker performance in comparison to the newer version 3 , I may just go with m80,s or the new LFR100 .
Sorta wondering how many upgrades were done between now and 2003 on the M60 series ?
According to Axiom , the VP160 will blend in with all their towers
Posted By: dakkon Re: Axiom M60Ti - 04/20/12 05:37 AM
The drivers are the same, the cross overs are slightly different from what i understand. I would bet that the ti's will go quite well with the 160, like i said, i have the 180 and it blends pretty much perfectly with my ti's... All 3 speakers sound the same to me.

I am on the list for a pair of LFR's... With the LFR's you will need more channels of amplification.. you need 4 matched channels of amplification all channels need to have the same gain, this will require the use of outboard amps.

I think that there were 3 "upgrades" between the ti's and the V3's..

If i were in your position, i would offer somewhere between 400-600$, can you go inspect and listen to the speakers? Depending on your relationship with him, you may be able to get him to bring them to your house so you can listen to them with your 160 prior to buying them?
Posted By: MarkSJohnson Re: Axiom M60Ti - 04/20/12 11:09 AM
My initial, preliminary testing (disclaimer, disclaimer) makes me think that my new VP160 is going to match very well with my 2004 M60tis.

I can't answer what they might be worth or whether they would be worth it over new ones, except to say that if I could afford the new ones, I'd go that way.

Just because you'll have the warranty, the latest version (my understanding is that the V3 improvements would be noticeable, though not "night and day" or anything {{disclaimer, disclaimer}}).
Posted By: SirQuack Re: Axiom M60Ti - 04/20/12 01:11 PM
My original M60's from when I started with Axiom were ti's in mansfield beech, I did a brief side by side comparison to my current M80v2's and didn't notice any huge difference. My M80's blend nice with my VP180v3.
Posted By: Wid Re: Axiom M60Ti - 04/20/12 01:32 PM

I have a near 9 year old set of M80tis with a VP160 and can't tell a huge difference. They blend very well together.

If they are at a good price and in great shape, go for it.

As Mark had mentioned, if you could swing a new set you then get a 5 year warranty.
Posted By: chesseroo Re: Axiom M60Ti - 04/20/12 08:30 PM
Originally Posted By: gearcruncher
I havnt made an offer yet , I am just kicking with the idea of picking up some timbre matched fronts . I am running pioneers for fronts and just picked up a new VP160 center channel . The pioneers sound much different than the VP160 .
If I can grab the M60ti,s for a reasonable price , i will roll the dice but if there is a big difference in speaker performance in comparison to the newer version 3 , I may just go with m80,s or the new LFR100 .
Sorta wondering how many upgrades were done between now and 2003 on the M60 series ?
According to Axiom , the VP160 will blend in with all their towers

JohnK will likely point you to the list of tweaks in the latest version, however most were cosmetic. The smaller sonic differences are so minute that you would need an A/B side by side test to even attempt at picking them out.

The M60s will indeed sound different than your present Pioneer speakers though, without a doubt. Our M60s were bought back in 2002 if i recall and are the Ti.
They still anchor our HT system.

You should be able to get these for about 35-50% of the new price esp. considering they are only 7 out of 10 for quality. Ours bought almost 10 years ago i would still rate at 8 or 9 by the Audiogon scale.
http://www.audiogon.com/scale.html
A 7 means there is some visible but small damage somewhere.
See http://www.canuckaudiomart.com for an example (i think there are some M60s posted for sale)

Posted By: Joe_in_SC Re: Axiom M60Ti - 04/20/12 09:22 PM
I paid $450 for a used pair of M60ti's about 3-4 years ago. I'd rate mine 6-7. I also just got a new VP160 and they sound amazing together. If you can get them for $400 or so, I'd say it's a no-brainer.
Posted By: gearcruncher Re: Axiom M60Ti - 04/21/12 04:03 AM
Thanks for the tips and links guyz !!!
You guys know your Axiom products very well .
I should have joined this site ages ago . Would have saved me a lotta cash .
I will let you all know which way I go for fronts shortly .
I have a good size room to fill with sound ( 20 X 20 ) for the theatre . I am presently building the room in my basement and carefully planning . Walls ,insulation, soundproofing, Cat 6 wiring , speaker wire and hdmi wall plates , led lighting etc etc .
Posted By: dakkon Re: Axiom M60Ti - 05/02/12 04:51 AM
My room is 17X18' the M60's will be fine in a room 20X20.
Posted By: gearcruncher Re: Axiom M60Ti - 05/06/12 11:54 PM
Got another question to add to my post since the guy sold the 60,s .
Is there any chance my current receiver can drive M80,s ?
Its a yammy 5063

I beleive its 90 watts @ 7 channels . The Vp 160 is 8 ohms , The Qs8, are 8 ohms but the M80,s are 4 ohms .
I am planning an amp upgrade shortly
I think I am just gonna take the plunge and grab some new M80 version 3,s .
Posted By: SirQuack Re: Axiom M60Ti - 05/07/12 01:38 AM
I think the Yammy should be able to drive the m80's, the question is how loud you plan to crank it. smile The M80's are not 4 ohm across the entire frequency range, and are pretty efficient, so they can play very loud with little power.
Posted By: JohnK Re: Axiom M60Ti - 05/07/12 02:01 AM
Cruncher, the 5063 can certainly drive the M80s. As always, the question is how loud. The 5063 should handle up to about 105dB, and that should be plenty for brief peaks occurring when listening at comfortably loud average levels which aren't dangerously(to your hearing)high.
Posted By: gearcruncher Re: Axiom M60Ti - 05/09/12 12:11 AM
Thanks for the assistance guyz !!!!
now gotta decide M 80,s or new rims and tires for the boat trailer .
Fishing season is only 3 weeks away . I am glad I still have snow on the ground up here or all my hard earned cash would be going to the boat .
Posted By: Murph Re: Axiom M60Ti - 05/09/12 11:52 AM
Used rims and tires and M60s. Win..Win.
Posted By: gearcruncher Re: Axiom M60Ti - 05/29/12 01:56 AM
OK guyz , I grabbed a set of M60,v3 from the B stock auction and just hooked them up tonight . All I can say is WOW . They sound incredible in comparision to my old pioneers . They blend perfectly with the Vp160 and the Qs8,s in the rear . After playing a couple cd,s I now know what you guys mean about hearing additional music , stuff you never heard before in musical tracks we are familiar with . I should have updated years ago . So far i am very happy with the new M60,s
I havnt decided on my rear channels yet , Qs8,s or possibly M22,s hanging from the ceiling on Axiom tiltable brackets .
I have Qs8, on either side of my listening positions and they work very well .
I think my next move is a bigger AVR with pre amp capability . The Yamaha 5063 @ rated 90 Watts per channel just doesnt have enough of the power I am use to. I was able to max out the volume while listening to music in direct where before using the pioneers , I would get distortion .
Posted By: Gary Vose Sr Re: Axiom M60Ti - 05/30/12 12:04 AM
Hi gearcruncher,

I glad you're happy with your M60's, it sounds likes your system may gain another up grade as well, have fun.
© Axiom Message Boards