Axiom Home Page
Posted By: Woodrow A Case For Spikes - 11/27/12 10:26 PM
I posted a few months ago about putting shims (quarters) under the front of my M60s because they were leaning forward. Well, they're doing it again. I realized the cause is all of the weight being on the front of the speakers. The forward weight is compressing my carpeting/padding more on the front legs than the back. I would think spikes would rectify this, no? (Of course, I went to look for them on the web site and I can't find them. Did Axiom stop selling them?)
Posted By: tomtuttle Re: A Case For Spikes - 11/27/12 10:41 PM
I had never thought of it that way. Yes, I have always had my M60's on spikes; since the spikes go all the way through the carpet and padding to the subfloor, they are stable.

I'll bet if you call Axiom, they will hook you up. Even though spikes might not be available a la carte on the website, they can probably find a way to get some to you.
Posted By: Woodrow Re: A Case For Spikes - 11/28/12 01:46 AM
Thanks Tom
Posted By: Nachosgrande Re: A Case For Spikes - 11/28/12 09:37 PM
for .50 you can add another quarter to each front portion of the speaker, if that's too mushc perhaps two dimes?
Posted By: Woodrow Re: A Case For Spikes - 11/29/12 01:56 AM
It's starting to look a little silly, Nacho. What with a quarter and two thick washers. Seriously, that's what been needed to keep them level. I would recommend to anyone that has their heavy floor standers on carpeting to do a level check. When the boxes start aiming towards the floor, it really hurts the highs.
Posted By: SirQuack Re: A Case For Spikes - 11/29/12 02:31 AM
Very interesting, I had my M60's and current m80's over thick padding and nice carpeting for years and never noticed, but I guess I could see it happening. I assume the driver side of a speaker is much heavier than than the rear. I wonder if Axiom has ever heard of this issue?

I will never know as I had to replace with laminate flooring when our sump pump failed. Don't the speakers come with a kit anymore that include spikes and rubber feet, they used to...?
Posted By: a401classic Re: A Case For Spikes - 11/29/12 11:58 AM
I've got spikes on my M80's and EP500 and they go all the way through to the concrete. We just cleaned out carpet in the den and there was little evidence that anything had been there except a pencil width hole - convenient for putting them back exactly were they came from. I had to turn them upside down, though, when I moved them to a room with hardwood flooring.

By comparison, the couch and rockers have rubber feet and left a very large impression that didn't come up.
Posted By: Woodrow Re: A Case For Spikes - 12/02/12 01:41 AM
Spikes installed - Nora Jones is sounding more buttery than ever - The staccato is popping like a cracked whip - The timpani fills my insides with a warmth like never before...not really. I was just trying my hand at being a golden ear reviewer. Can't hear a difference, but at least now I don't have to worry about them being level.
Posted By: Murph Re: A Case For Spikes - 12/03/12 04:41 PM
Good one!
I felt a great disturbance in the web, as if millions of eyebrows were suddenly raised and were suddenly silenced.
© Axiom Message Boards