Axiom Home Page
Posted By: JackC M3 V3s driven by a T-class amp? - 02/12/13 02:20 AM
I'm probably going to buy a pair if the M3 V3s and my only amp is a Lepai T-class 20wpc amp. It's pretty crappy, I can't even play my current speakers at over half volume without it cutting out. I was told I need a better power adapter so I order one and I haven't go it yet so I can't be sure it will fix the problem. I don't want to end up damaging the speakers if that's even possible, I will get a new amp eventually when the funds are there!

Thanks,
Jack.
Posted By: JohnK Re: M3 V3s driven by a T-class amp? - 02/12/13 02:56 AM
Jack, welcome. As is always the case, an amplifier with a modest maximum output capability can drive speakers such as the M3s at modest volume levels matching its maximum capability. Noticeable distortion on peaks in the sound should be avoided by turning it down, so as to avoid possible speaker damage through extended periods of amplifier clipping. A maximum level on a peak in the mid 90s of decibels should be available.
Posted By: JackC Re: M3 V3s driven by a T-class amp? - 02/12/13 06:18 PM
So as long as I don't turn the volume so high that it clips the amp I should be fine?
Posted By: Murph Re: M3 V3s driven by a T-class amp? - 02/12/13 06:49 PM
Yup, if you hear distortion turn it down. Or if the sound has a tiring feel that makes you feel like maybe you should turn it down,,, that could be early clipping. Probably safe at that point but still, it will sound better if you turn it down.
Posted By: JackC Re: M3 V3s driven by a T-class amp? - 02/12/13 10:23 PM
Perfect, thanks guys can't wait to get the speakers!
Posted By: SirQuack Re: M3 V3s driven by a T-class amp? - 02/12/13 11:36 PM
keep in mind it only takes a few watts or more to play very loud at a comfortable distance.
Posted By: tomtuttle Re: M3 V3s driven by a T-class amp? - 02/13/13 12:13 AM
Yeah, especially near-field. Some of those chip amps are pretty cool. I got one for my wife's computer speakers (which I built) and it's been going strong for a long time. Sounds just fine. M3's are pretty efficient. If it sounds bad, turn it down.
Posted By: a401classic Re: M3 V3s driven by a T-class amp? - 02/15/13 03:47 PM
You should be good, as others have said, at moderate volumes. I'm driving a old Cambridge Soundworks (passive)sub/satellite system at my office computer with that Lepai amp and for near field listening it can be played louder than I like (>>90 dB) before any clipping is noticed. The M3's are more efficient than the speakers I'm using and should be able to be played louder before clipping.
If you're trying to fill a large room, I think I'd start saving up for a larger amp. For the price, that little Lepai isn't so crappy, imho.

Good Luck! Enjoy your new M3's.
© Axiom Message Boards