Axiom Home Page
Posted By: spiffnme In-Walls - 09/02/03 09:56 PM
A friend of mine is having some work done in his condo and wanted to use that opportunity to have some in-wall speakers installed. He wants a pair in his bedroom, and another pair in his living room as rears.

Where should he be looking for in-walls? He doesn't want to spend a fortune for good sound. I suggested a decent pair of smallish bookshelves mounted to the wall might sound better and cost less than in-walls, but I understand his desire for in-walls for their super high WAF.

Help???

Eventually he wants to get a new pair of bookshelf'ers to use as mains in his living room (when that day comes he'll probably get M22ti's as he fell in love with mine when I had a pair) But the in-walls are the priority now, as the electrical work is being done now.

Thanks for all the help, ideas, tips, and links you can provide!

-Craig

Posted By: twopecker Re: In-Walls - 09/02/03 10:17 PM
Check out www.partsexpress.com and look at some of their Dayton in wall speakers. They have a very large selection that are all moderately priced. They are definitely not hi-fi, but in my opinion, perform very adequately for the price.

Posted By: rcvecc Re: In-Walls - 09/02/03 10:52 PM
check out SOUNDCITY.COM and go to the outlet they have sonance and parasound speakers on clearance.check out the sonance d5000 speakers,with 1- 8 inch woofer and aimable tweeter.ive heard this brand before,not sure what model,but they sounded nice...good luck...ron
Posted By: spiffnme Re: In-Walls - 09/03/03 08:22 PM
OK...sounds like he's decided against in-walls. (good!) I know the M60ti can be used very, very well without a sub. How well do the M40 and M50's hold up with out a sub? I'm not sure he wants to spend $800 for the M60's. He may be willing to get the M40's or M50's though.
Posted By: JohnK Re: In-Walls - 09/03/03 08:29 PM
Craig, the reports and the NRC measurements indicate that the M40s have very strong bass; maybe a bit too much after room boundary reinforcement is added in.
Posted By: sushi Re: In-Walls - 09/03/03 10:39 PM
Craig,

I was going to suggest fully enclosed in-wall speakers such as the Triads. These should be much better than open-back in-walls, which will be totally unpredictable...

But if he can to with the Axiom... well, no worry there!
Posted By: nowave Re: In-Walls - 09/03/03 11:24 PM
I was on a tight budget when looking for a pair of good new speakers - and the M40's fit the bill perfectly. At the factory outlet for < $400 is a steal if you ask me.

I occasionally flirt with the idea of a subwoofer, but they really are perfectly fine without them. I think it's just an upgrade itch that I need to ignore, especially since I'm not using them for HT. What I'm trying to say is that the bass is quite satisfying.

Well - that's my 2 cents, since I seem to be the only one here not using the m22 or m60

© Axiom Message Boards