Axiom Home Page
Posted By: Listener Axiom Bluetooth Speaker - 05/26/14 02:08 AM
I remember sometime a year or two ago there was a thread about Axiom creating some sort of portable speaker. Not sure if it was Bluetooth specific or not. If I remember correctly it was started by axiom to get a sense if there is any interest in that sort of product. I take it that the idea was dropped? Does anyone know if this is still in the works or if the idea was scrapped?

I'm currently looking for a portable boombox type speaker which is why I'm asking.
Posted By: tomtuttle Re: Axiom Bluetooth Speaker - 05/26/14 02:45 AM
I think it was for airplay. There's a thread in the What's New section, but there haven't been any meaningful updates in quite a while.
Posted By: Ian Re: Axiom Bluetooth Speaker - 05/26/14 07:43 AM
This is still in the works. We ended up going way beyond just the standard Bluetooth type device. Somewhere in the next month or two we will be ready to start talking about where it all ended up. For now we have a few details to work out in the lab before we "shoot our mouths off" so to speak.
Posted By: pmbuko Re: Axiom Bluetooth Speaker - 05/29/14 08:43 PM
You have to be careful, Ian. If it's too good, you might get bought by Apple.

laugh
Posted By: Listener Re: Axiom Bluetooth Speaker - 06/10/14 03:10 AM
Looking forward to hearing more about the new product. In the meanwhile I picked up a TDK a73 boombox. It's a great little device. Not sure if it had any real competition currently.
Posted By: fredk Re: Axiom Bluetooth Speaker - 06/10/14 08:03 PM
Originally Posted By: Ian
This is still in the works. We ended up going way beyond just the standard Bluetooth type device. Somewhere in the next month or two we will be ready to start talking about where it all ended up. For now we have a few details to work out in the lab before we "shoot our mouths off" so to speak.

"To the lab Lurch! We have work to do."

::walks off with an evil cackle::
Posted By: pmbuko Re: Axiom Bluetooth Speaker - 06/24/14 08:37 PM
I was in California last week and three different households I visited had Bose Bluetooth Soundlink speakers. They sound Bosey -- in other words, they do put out a surprising amount of "bass" for the box size, but the sound is very colored by the resonant enclosure.

Clearly, the market is ready for Axiom's take on this product space. smile
Posted By: MMM Re: Axiom Bluetooth Speaker - 06/25/14 05:24 PM
I have several friends who are looking for a blue-tooth or network addressable speaker. Some want it for bringing the party outside, others for taking up to the cottage.

Bring it out.
Posted By: brwsaw Re: Axiom Bluetooth Speaker - 06/25/14 11:28 PM
I'd buy one from axiom just to own it.
Everyone I know already has a Bluetooth speaker, don't think any of them really listen to them for clarity, just background noise.

Me, I hope they find a way to use the drivers from the QS4's. They left a good first impression on me.
Posted By: jakewash Re: Axiom Bluetooth Speaker - 06/26/14 03:27 AM
I have been waiting to hear about this for sometime.
Posted By: majik Re: Axiom Bluetooth Speaker - 10/02/14 01:44 PM
I came here hoping to find some info on this and if Axiom was considering it. Any developments?
Posted By: CV Re: Axiom Bluetooth Speaker - 11/07/14 09:19 AM
You've probably already read about it, but if not, here's Amazon's interesting take on a Bluetooth speaker:

Amazon Echo

Simply being a speaker is fairly far down on the feature list, but I imagine the sound quality is going to be competitive if you can get it for the $99 price. I'm not sure how it will compare at the normal $199 price, so the other features would have to speak to you.
Posted By: Murph Re: Axiom Bluetooth Speaker - 11/07/14 12:51 PM
That's pretty cool. Basically Siri/Google Now in a tube. I always toyed with the concept of hooking up a wide field microphone to my tablet for stuff like that but never got around to it. I suspect it results in some humorous results when it misunderstands you, just like the phone versions.

On a different angle....
Just remember that I'm very willing to bet that it's doing data collection from your queries. Expect to see more "customized" amazon.com emails in your inbox. Similar to the deal Amazon struck with Ubuntu where Amazon based "suggestions" start to pop up in your "lens" queries.

Useful for some, a privacy concern for others. Depends on your perspective. Everything else is watching you anyways. What's one more set of eyes?
Posted By: fredk Re: Axiom Bluetooth Speaker - 11/09/14 11:50 PM
Originally Posted By: Murph

Useful for some, a privacy concern for others. Depends on your perspective. Everything else is watching you anyways. What's one more set of eyes?

Just don't put those speakers in the bedroom. Who wants to hear "Your not doing that right" at the most inopportune moment?
© Axiom Message Boards