Axiom Home Page
Posted By: spiffnme Upgraditus bit me again... - 12/10/03 12:21 AM
I couldn't help myself.

I'll soon have one of these.

To pay for it, I'll selling my Rotel RB-1070.

Call me nuts. I'm sure I'll be on the couch for a few night because of this.
Posted By: pmbuko Re: Upgraditus bit me again... - 12/10/03 12:56 AM
Oh no! Fell off the wagon again, huh? Now you'll be disappointed that the Amp doesn't match the pre-amp... You just got yourself into a vicious cycle...
Posted By: Hawkson101 Re: Upgraditus bit me again... - 12/10/03 03:13 AM
how much did that cost you
Posted By: mwc Re: Upgraditus bit me again... - 12/10/03 03:27 AM
I have the Stratos and I must say that it is one of the best audio purchases I've ever made and I wouldn't hestitate to buy another Odyssey product. In fact, I'm considering the multi channel amp. You won't be dissapointed. Odyssey is another internet seller with great customer service. Klaus Bunge (the owner) is great to deal with. I'm sure you've seen the great user reviews at audioreview.com.
Posted By: chesseroo Re: Upgraditus bit me again... - 12/10/03 05:07 AM
Let me know when you get it Spiff.
I've already queried mwc about his Stratos and i'm considering getting one myself.
I'm just not 100% sold yet. I'm still looking a the Parasound Halo A23 and the Anthem MCA20.
Posted By: spiffnme Re: Upgraditus bit me again... - 12/10/03 06:06 AM
If you're interested in a Stratos, give Klaus a call. His reputation as being an amazing guy to work with is very, very well deserved.

I can't say the price I got. But like I said, if you're seriously interested in getting a Stratos, give Klaus a call. Just don't be calling him if you're not really interested. He works far too hard to have his time wasted by someone who has no intention of buying.

Peter...I got the silver and black so it would match my Rotel 1066. (Though I heard rumour that the 1066 may have a replacement soon. Aaaaahhhhh...just when I think I'm out, they pull me back in!)
Posted By: pmbuko Re: Upgraditus bit me again... - 12/10/03 07:57 AM
Wow! The Absolute Sound review is almost enough to make me want one -- only my receiver doesn't have pre-outs so I'd have to replace it. Hmmm....
Posted By: mwc Re: Upgraditus bit me again... - 12/10/03 01:16 PM
I don't think you can go wrong by getting the Anthem or the Parasound. I have an Anthem preamp and I love it. I had to talk to Anthem customer service once and they were very responsive and helpful. But the deal breaker on the Odyssey (for me) was the 20 yr warranty and the fact that I could return it with in 30 days if I didn't like it. Also if you ever feel that the amp needs biasing to fit your particular needs(if there really is such a thing on SS amps), you just send it back and they'll do it for free and pay shipping to send it back to you. Another nice perk is that if you own the Stratos and decide that you want mono blocks, you can send the stratos in and they will convert it for free if you buy another mono block. It's kind of cool to be able to call Odyssey and talk to the president of the company (Klaus). I've talked to him several times and I tell ya, he doesn't mind spending time with customers to help determine thier needs (sometimes he'll talk your ear off if you let him). BTW, the face plates are available in many different colors. Just my .002.
Posted By: Saturn Re: Upgraditus bit me again... - 12/10/03 03:22 PM
Many long months ago I had a few people telling me that power is power and should not sound any differently. They further went to say that my (then sold) 2 yr old flagship Rotel receiver 2 x 125w would sound no differently than my (then sold) 18 yr Bryston 2 x 125w. I beg to differ but they still would not believe. The Bryston sounded better. Even a 20yr old 2B 2x60w sounded better. It is good to see some of these old hands have tried and DID notice or PRESUMED a difference, hence a purchase of some these expensive HIFI products. I always say the sum of the parts contributes to the whole. One day maybe one will notice that is the same case with a FEW cables and to a lesser degree power cords. But unless they travel down that path ... it is likely they will close their mind to it.
Partipation in knowledge sharing is good on this forum as long as it follows certain rules. Those rules has been layed out long ago in another threat.....I mean thread.
Sometimes its better to linger than to participate.

Saturn
Let the green sharpie live.

ps:And no...I am not talking about you Spiff. Though it is nice to see some experts on here enjoying some of this Upgraditus...so when are you going Maggies?
Posted By: chrono Re: Upgraditus bit me again... - 12/10/03 03:25 PM
the different faceplates/chassis is a very nice option.. i wish more companies would do that.

the dark blue would look perfect beside my novation supernova (rackmount synth).
Posted By: chesseroo Re: Upgraditus bit me again... - 12/10/03 04:55 PM
Spiff, i'm seriously interested in alot of equipment but i don't have time to call all the owners of each company.
At this point i would rather hear about other's opinions of the various components for which i am perusing.
The last thing i want is to try to have someone convince me that their product is tops.
The reason i have not yet ventured into purchasing an amp is because i'm still looking and deciding on any features that i want.

Does anyone have more specs than what is listed on the Odyssey website? That damn site talks more about the price per pound and aesthetics of the Stratos than its actual stats.
Posted By: chesseroo Re: Upgraditus bit me again... - 12/10/03 05:04 PM
In reply to:

Many long months ago I had a few people telling me that power is power and should not sound any differently. They further went to say that my (then sold) 2 yr old flagship Rotel receiver 2 x 125w would sound no differently than my (then sold) 18 yr Bryston 2 x 125w. I beg to differ but they still would not believe. The Bryston sounded better. Even a 20yr old 2B 2x60w sounded better. It is good to see some of these old hands have tried and DID notice or PRESUMED a difference, hence a purchase of some these expensive HIFI products.

Perhaps you can elaborate on that Saturn.
Exactly who has supposedly 'seen the light'?

Personally i'm looking at buying an amp, not for upgraditis reasons but for an entirely new system.
I've still heard no quality difference between this Coda amp (a very high end by some standards since the thing cost near 4 grand) an older Robertson (60w/ch) or my Onkyo. The only difference has been with signal sensitivities.
We even tried a blind cable exchange some months ago. Generic boxed cables vs. Ultralink vs. AR Masters. I guess by some other's standards though these cables are all too "low end" to sound any different.

Posted By: chesseroo Re: Upgraditus bit me again... - 12/10/03 05:07 PM
mwc,
Which Anthem preamp do you have?
I'm really eyeballing that new preamp tuner TLP1.
Posted By: Saturn Re: Upgraditus bit me again... - 12/10/03 06:54 PM
In reply to:

Perhaps you can elaborate on that Saturn.
Exactly who has supposedly 'seen the light'?

Definitely not you sir.
It is you that made me see past the "Best bang for the buck" theory to "Best sounding that I can afford" theory (I don't know about affordability but well at least that I'm willing to pay).
As is most cases maybe one may not hear a difference between certain brands such as what I found between Rotel, Denon, Onkyo ... etc .. but I did hear a diff between my old Rotel reciever power vs. the Bryston. Even the 60w Bryston 2B "seemingly" sounded sweeter than the Rotel.
As with wire...yes majority in blind tests ..would fail.
But just about 2 weeks ago I tested my Kimber 4TC (braided copper with teflon dielectric)http://www.kimber.com/4tc.htm vs. JPS Labs Ultraconductor (Aluminum/Copper) http://www.jpslabs.com/ultraconductor.htm.
I could "seemingly" tell a difference in sound. It doesnt mean the difference is better or worse but just a change. I enjoyed the Kimber's more. Both wires are price at $150 USD per 8 foot pair.
As with upgraditus all of my equipment has totally changed except for the Bryton 4B and the Kimber 4TC. from..Axiom..Monitor Audio..PMC..to Maggies...at least for mains. The center and rears of Axioms are hard to beat in price or sonics.
What are you using to power your D700 babies? And have you ever seen those TD10..nice!nice!

ps:nevermind just saw your profile
Posted By: mwc Re: Upgraditus bit me again... - 12/10/03 07:48 PM
Was this an "I told ya so" post .
Posted By: Saturn Re: Upgraditus bit me again... - 12/10/03 08:04 PM
No...its not any of ya or anyone in this thread...its other "old hands". I place you, chess and spiff on the high list of experts. I don't like namings. So I'm letting this slide. Just my once in a month rant and rave.

Saturn
Posted By: mwc Re: Upgraditus bit me again... - 12/10/03 08:06 PM
This is basically what I have but it's the SE version.
Anthem Pre-2L:
/www.audio-ideas.com/reviews/preamps/anthem-pre2l.html

Anthem Pre-2L SE:
www.upscaleaudio.com/updates/pre2.htm
Posted By: chesseroo Re: Upgraditus bit me again... - 12/10/03 08:32 PM
I have to be honest here too Saturn. I've actually heard a difference between 2 receivers.
One is the Denon 3803 and the other was a Sony all-in-one HT package from Future Shop.
Again though i go back to the idea of "quality build". You need to compare 2 items of similar quality build in listening for significant differences and i certainly do not think this Sony was of any quality. The thing had a plastic cover on it which pretty much says it all.
That being said, i believe the price point of electronics that use parts indistinguishable in quality (for sound reproduction) from so called high end units is alot less than most think. Case in point, DACs. JohnK has mentioned several times how they are so good and so cheap right across the board that even a 5k cdp could be using the same DAC as found in a $300 unit but ppl just don't know it.

The amp that was driving the D700s (a Coda 10.5 equivalent) is now gone, hence why i'm looking for something new in the next couple of months.
The timing is ok though since i'm not in a financial position to spring for any new equipment yet. I just upgraded my cpu and my wife's tower.
Posted By: mwc Re: Upgraditus bit me again... - 12/10/03 09:01 PM
I had the pleasure of visiting the local Home Theater Store's "special" HT room a few days ago. It's the room they keep locked to prevent people from wondering in without being accompanied by an employee. The room itself was done in a Greek theme with a rolled vaulted celing with fiber optic stars and it was all automated-screen,lights, velvet curtians, etc.

In the rear of the room was a built in rack with all McIntosh gear. I immeadialely started to drool when I saw the familiar blue lighted logo. The speakers were B&W(high end series) all around including the sub.

The lights dimmed the curtian pulled back and the front projector flicked on and I was treated to a demo disk featuring Titan A.E. My jaw dropped to the floor! I expected it to sound good but what I heard was nothing short of amazing. I've always thought that I have pretty good gear but what I heard in that room made me realize that I will never be able to own a theater of that calibur of sound and sight unless I hit the lotto.

My point is: that day I heard a difference. I don't know if it was the amps, processor, speakers, me being awestruck, room, wire or all of the above. So now, as freesey says, I aspire to be rich.
Posted By: pmbuko Re: Upgraditus bit me again... - 12/10/03 09:07 PM
/devil's advocate mode

Are you sure your eyes didn't contribute to the difference? You did start drooling before the demo even started...

/end devil's advocate mode

I totally believe you, though.
Posted By: mwc Re: Upgraditus bit me again... - 12/10/03 09:35 PM
In reply to:

Are you sure your eyes didn't contribute to the difference? You did start drooling before the demo even started...

I knew in my mind that it should be good when I saw the Mc stuff but I wasn't prepared for what I heard-WOW!!! I told the salesman/friend that if I buy my TV from him that he would have to agree to allow me to watch an entire movie in their theater in return. He just laughed and said "I'll see what I can do" but I was dead serious.
Posted By: pmbuko Re: Upgraditus bit me again... - 12/10/03 10:21 PM
Now the question is: which movie?
Posted By: mwc Re: Upgraditus bit me again... - 12/10/03 10:38 PM
That's a tough one! Some Sci-fi or Action/Adventure for sure. But then again many Disney/Pixar movies have great sound too. Any suggestions?
Posted By: spiffnme Re: Upgraditus bit me again... - 12/10/03 11:03 PM
Lord of the Rings: Fellowship of the Ring Extended version in DTS. You'll get to enjoy that room for 3+ hours with one of the greatest adventure movies ever made.
Posted By: mwc Re: Upgraditus bit me again... - 12/10/03 11:27 PM
Hmmmm....3+ hours, DTS, Gandolf, adventure,. I can dig it!
Posted By: pmbuko Re: Upgraditus bit me again... - 12/10/03 11:32 PM
The Tolkein nerd in me can't resist. It's Gandalf.
Posted By: mwc Re: Upgraditus bit me again... - 12/11/03 02:16 AM
OH ALRITE! YA GRAMMER NATSIE!
Posted By: pmbuko Re: Upgraditus bit me again... - 12/11/03 04:23 AM
hey, get yer subjects straight. Spellin' ain't grammer.
Posted By: NeverHappy Re: Upgraditus bit me again... - 12/13/03 03:02 AM
As the proud owner of the Stratos all I can say is you have made a good choice. I tried Parasound, Bryston, Rotel and just about everything before going with Klaus and I have no regrets. One thing though that I know you have heard by now is the break-in. It is a long time, so be ready for it! This amp sounds very different (Better) after a few weeks. Be patient and wait for it. I'm currently running a set of M80's with it.........and I'm in heaven!

Oh yeah, Hi everybody. I have been reading here for months and finally got around to registering! My current system in case your curious is:

Onyko TX-SR800 Receiver
Odyssey Stratos - 2 Channel Amp
Odyssey Stratos HT3 - 3 Channel Amp (On order)
Denon DVM 3800 DVD/DVDA Player
Integra DRS 5.2 DVD Player

All the above except the Stratos is running through a Monster Cable 3500 line conditioner.

Axiom M80's
Axiom VP150
Axiom QS8's Main Surround
Axiom M22's Secondary Surround EX
Boston Acoustics VR500 Subwoofer. Soon to be replaced with a SVU.

Posted By: pmbuko Re: Upgraditus bit me again... - 12/13/03 03:49 AM
Spiffnme,

You've got your work cut out for you. Your mission -- should you choose to accept it -- is to report on whether or not the amp's sound changes after the allegedly necessary break-in period.
Posted By: spiffnme Re: Upgraditus bit me again... - 12/13/03 07:49 AM
I'll do my best, but the amp isn't due to arrive until early January. I'm assuming by then I'll have sold my Rotel. So I won't really be able to make a good direct comparison.
Posted By: NeverHappy Re: Upgraditus bit me again... - 12/13/03 03:01 PM
Allegedly? There is nothing alleged about it I can assure you on that. There is a break in period and it is a long one. Read any review on this amp and every owner will concur what I have posted......as will the gentleman who builds them. If you want a better explanation on what happens with the Stratos during the break in period, phone Klaus, trust me he would be more then happy to tell you everything!
Posted By: mwc Re: Upgraditus bit me again... - 12/13/03 03:45 PM
In reply to:

Read any review on this amp and every owner will concur what I have posted

John, I don't mean to be a wet blanket here but for whatever reason (tin ears, not paying attention, oblivious, and the possibility that SS component "break in" is, as some claim, "hooey") I don't hear any difference from the first time I pluged it in to almost two years latter. In fact, it's never sounded sweeter (not coloration sweeter) than the first time I listened. I suppose that I've had it so long I just take it's great performance for granted now. The thing that wowed me the most about this amp is the overall purer(cleaner) sound it produced-like the proverbial "open window to the recording session". That's what my first impression of this amp was and I can't say that it has gotten better because it still sounds the same as the first time I heard it.

Just my opinion, but you know what they say about opinions.....

P.S: Craig(spiffnme) I look forward to your assesment once you get yours and have listened for a while.
Posted By: NeverHappy Re: Upgraditus bit me again... - 12/13/03 11:06 PM
No problem at all. With mine when I first got it, I was nervous. It was way to bright and had zero punch. It was like I shut down the woofers on my M80's. After a few weeks it got a lot better and I mean a lot better. Even my wife noticed and that alone made my jaw drop. I also never have shut mine off since I got it. Anyway, sorry if I sounded pushy etc, it's just that everything Klaus told me to watch for with this amp, was true and that included the long break-in period. You now however have me curious as to why you didn't notice anything? Did you get the cap upgrade with yours? I did and so far I'm pleased with it!
Posted By: JohnK Re: Upgraditus bit me again... - 12/14/03 12:13 AM
John, when someone tells us to watch out for something we often find it even if it doesn't exist. An amp takes about one second to break in and warm up.
Posted By: mwc Re: Upgraditus bit me again... - 12/14/03 12:19 AM
In reply to:

It was way to bright and had zero punch

Mine didn't seem bright at all and it seemed to have a good grip on the bass. Maybe the "factory break-in" had something to do with it. I don't know.

In reply to:

Even my wife noticed and that alone made my jaw drop

I had a simular experience. My wife didn't know that I had hooked up the new amp when she came in to the room and asked "what have you done now, it sounds great" I was shocked. She hardly ever notices the new stuff.
In reply to:

I also never have shut mine off since I got it

I leave mine on all the time too and it never gets more that luke warm. However, the bulbs (there are 2) on the face plate did burn out and I can't find a replacement locally. I'll have to get them from Klaus.

I did get the cap upgrade. I must confess that I got it because Klaus said it would make a big difference. Not having any thing to reference it to (stock Stratos) I could only take his word for it. But I'm sure the cap upgrade is big time over kill. None the less, I'm happy as a clam with it.

In reply to:

sorry if I sounded pushy etc

You didn't sound pushy at all just very convinced

Posted By: NeverHappy Re: Upgraditus bit me again... - 12/14/03 03:35 PM
JohnK If I got you right and your saying a brand new piece of audio equipment takes one second to break in, your opinion goes against some of the best audio designers in the world. Read this from the Stratos page:

http://www.odysseyaudio.com/setup_tweak.html

John Potis (Soundstage) who is a very respected person when it comes to HT even uses it as a negative when talking about the Stratos and even touches on the mystery surrounding break in:

http://www.soundstage.com/revequip/odysseyaudio_stratos.htm

I can find you the same sort of information from other manufactures. Hell, my brother in law is a tech with Bryston and they openly acknowledge a break in period as has John Curl from Parasound, Stefan Helsmburg from NAD, Jim Norris from Krell etc etc. I find it odd that several of the worlds premier amplifier designers would talk about a break in period, when according to some it doesn't exist.

Anyway, what do I know! I have only made a few posts here and I seem to get keeping myself in trouble, but I'm speaking as a guy who over the last 5 years has probably replaced every piece of equipment in my set-up at least 20 times and time and time again I hear break in periods with amps. I will shut up now :-)
Posted By: Saturn Re: Upgraditus bit me again... - 12/14/03 04:23 PM
Didn't you know JohnK has more sensitive ears?
Posted By: NeverHappy Re: Upgraditus bit me again... - 12/14/03 05:10 PM
True enough! Who knows this may all be in my head but I know what I hear and have heard from various pieces I have owned.
Posted By: mwc Re: Upgraditus bit me again... - 12/14/03 06:01 PM
Hi John,

I am one who respects and follows John Potis's writings but I'm not sure that in his review of the Stratos that he is actually and difinitively acknowledging "Component Break-in". I think he speaks honestly when he says this: "Am I confident regarding to what I can attribute the slow start I had with the Odyssey Audio Stratos amplifier? Not really. It may have been a break-in issue or it could even have been an unrealized bad mood on my part that colored my initial experience and biased me against the amplifier, thus requiring an extended audition that eventually withered that bias away".

Having had several phone conversations with Klaus Bunge of Odyssey, I also respect his knowledge of audio. But as far as "break-in" goes, I (personally) can't blindly accept his word or any other of the well respected manufactures that you mentioned just because they say it's so. Simply because they say something is so doesn't make more than just an opinion (just playing Devil's advocate for a second). I often hear reviewers and manufacturers mention break-in but never hear them talk about the specific physical and scientific reasons for what really would cause this phenomenon.

On the Odyssey web site it mentions this:
"There are several factors that determine the extensive length of "break-in", such as charging of capacitors, establishing the electron flow on the PC board, cables, soldering joints, etc. External conditions, such as the power quality and stability of your power in your listening room, the kind of music you are listening to (more or less dynamics), and many more factors will contribute to the break-in process."

I'm the first one to admit that I know just enough about electricity to be dangerous but the phrase "establishing the electron flow on the PC board" just sounds plain silly. And how long can it take to charge a capicitor, for cryin' out loud? And what the hell could "soldering joints" have to do with the price of eggs in China? Sorry, I don't mean to rant but if these folks (reviews and manufacturers) are going to convince the regular Joe that "break-in really exists (unless the "regular Joe" is convienced because of his own experience of course), there going to have to do better than saying that the "the kind of music you are listening to" can contribute to break-in .

If you/anyone knows of any manufacturer that has published papers that definitively describe and establish the physical and/or scientific properties that cause the "break-in" phenomenon, please let me know and I will eat every word that I have penned here and do it with glee. Please understand, I'm not saying break-in doesn't exist. I just need to know why it exist before I become a believer as I have never personally experience a percieved break-in from SS components. Like I said in a previous post, it could be that; I wasn't paying close enough attention, or break-in is too subtle for my ears to detect, or I have a preconcieved bias and can't bring myself to believe it....I just don't know.

But please don't take this as a personal attack. I just wanted to express my opinion and you know what they say about opinions......

In reply to:

I have only made a few posts here and I seem to get keeping myself in trouble

I wan't you to know that as far as I'm concerned, your posts are always welcome. There are always 3 sides to a story: mine,yours, and the truth.

Not many folks on this board have gotten themselves in more trouble than me. Don't worry, just keep the posts coming.

Posted By: NeverHappy Re: Upgraditus bit me again... - 12/14/03 06:18 PM
Good post! and you may be right on a few points. A lot of talk about it but few explain it. I don't have the knowledge in electronics to get into any debate over this as I would be talking out my a$$. It just seems odd that so many "Gurus" talk about it but none seem to explain it. I already have a email into a guy who actually responds to most of my emails and has for years and who I think knows his stuff. Bob Carver. When and if he gets back to me I will post his thoughts on this!

This is a good debate and please understand, I'm not saying I'm right or wrong, just going from personal experience with various pieces.

Posted By: mwc Re: Upgraditus bit me again... - 12/14/03 06:33 PM
In reply to:

A lot of talk about it but few explain it

Yeah, that and some of the silly explainations("electron flow") by some "Gurus" are the things that bug me most about "break in". I would love to see some straight talk about it from some of the "Gurus".

I've heard Bob Carver's name for years and he has often been refered to as a "genius" in his field. I hope you're successful in picking his brain. I would love to hear his thoughts.

In reply to:

just going from personal experience

Can't beat that personal experience!
Posted By: Ken.C Re: Upgraditus bit me again... - 12/14/03 07:12 PM
That was, I have to say, another fantastic post. (no, I'm not kissing ass here. What would it gain me?). When we keep these debates civil, I find them to be very interesting. I must agree that "establishing the electron flow" sounds like something out of Dr. Who or Star Trek to me. "I'll reverse the polarity of the neutron flow!" is one of my all time favorites. The first person to tell me what's wrong with that gets a gold star.
Posted By: pmbuko Re: Upgraditus bit me again... - 12/14/03 07:23 PM
Neutrons are... neutral. No charge. No polarity to reverse. Gold star please.
Posted By: Ken.C Re: Upgraditus bit me again... - 12/14/03 08:23 PM
Good. You're easy to deliver it to.
Posted By: NeverHappy Re: Upgraditus bit me again... - 12/15/03 02:22 AM
In physics, the neutron is a subatomic particle with no net electric charge and a mass of 940 MeV (very slightly more than a proton). The nucleus of most atoms (all except the most common isotope of Hydrogen, which consists of a single proton only) consists of protons and neutrons. Outside the nucleus, neutrons are unstable and have a half-life of about 15 minutes, decaying by emitting an electron and antineutrino to become a proton. The same decay method (beta decay) occurs in some nuclei. Particles inside the nucleus are typically resonances between neutrons and protons, which transform into one another by the emission and absorption of pions. A neutron is classified as a baryon, and consists of two down quarks and one up quark.

The characteristic of neutrons which most differentiates them from other common subatomic particles is the fact that they are uncharged. This property of neutrons delayed their discovery, makes them very penetrating, makes it impossible to observe them directly, and makes them very important as agents in nuclear change.....blah blah blah.....now my head is spinning!

Posted By: pmbuko Re: Upgraditus bit me again... - 12/15/03 06:45 AM
Wow, for a marketing executive, you have a good grasp on subatomic particles.
Posted By: chesseroo Re: Upgraditus bit me again... - 12/15/03 02:57 PM
To give credit where credit is due, one should really quote the source of the reference statements or material lest they be pursued by the legal masses for plagiarism.
Posted By: pmbuko Re: Upgraditus bit me again... - 12/15/03 06:14 PM

Posted By: NeverHappy Re: Upgraditus bit me again... - 12/15/03 08:13 PM
That was a very obvious cut and paste, hence the blah blah.....and last time I checked quoting the dictionary of chemistry was not pursuable by legal masses!

Relax people!
Posted By: spiffnme Re: Upgraditus bit me again... - 12/15/03 08:15 PM
Chess can be a bit uptight sometimes. Don't mind him.
Posted By: chesseroo Re: Upgraditus bit me again... - 12/15/03 08:47 PM
Just call me nitpicky.
Posted By: mwc Re: Upgraditus bit me again... - 12/15/03 09:57 PM
Ok. Henceforth, ye shall be known as "nitpickyroo".
Posted By: slownlo Re: Upgraditus bit me again... - 12/17/03 12:35 AM
I've heard it with some Theil PCS's (very nice speakers)...The sound was very Nice: Fast and responsive, but lacked any depth/warmth, not a bad thing (I guess) but it seemed to be a little too stoic for my taste.. in comparison the Bryston 3B SST is another story...Bryston has gotten it right again! Balls to the wall headroom, linearity and warmth...they bring out the best in just about any speaker they connect to...

Congrats on your new purchase! I just bougnt a Mei-Xing MC-7R valve rectifier tube preamp (www.mei-xing.com). I switched out the stock chinese 12AX7's with some NOS Telefunkens and its the best dang preamp I've ever heard, very stylish too! I am trying to convince my wife to buy me some Magnepan MG 1.6's for xmas...oh yeah!
Posted By: Saturn Re: Upgraditus bit me again... - 12/17/03 03:21 AM
I personally would not try to compare a speaker to an amp...following your statement I would be lead to believe Brystons would bring warmth to a stoic speaker like the Theils but I do not think thats the case. Ones experience as stoic can be someone elses detail and crispness. Ones warmth is anothers rolled off mid range. So its really up to each individuals tastes. Theil CS 2.3 is still one of top speakers rated by many stereophiles. It has loads of detail, definition and air ... like the M80Ti.

Posted By: chesseroo Re: Upgraditus bit me again... - 12/17/03 04:23 AM
In reply to:

following your statement I would be lead to believe Brystons would bring warmth to a stoic speaker like the Theils but I do not think thats the case. Ones experience as stoic can be someone elses detail and crispness. Ones warmth is anothers rolled off mid range. So its really up to each individuals tastes.

I agree with you 100% here Saturn.
A friend of mine passed along a Robertson amp to try out with my Axioms awhile back.
He was going on and on how this amp would really 'tame' the brightness of the Axioms. My wife smirked at his statement after she heard it a/b with our Onkyo.
We got more toning down of the Axiom 'brightness' by adding the little resistor, not by changing an amp.

I should also add for those that are interested, you can REALLY tune down the brightness of Axioms (if you so deem them as being 'bright') by putting two couch pillows up against your ears.
Trust me on this one, it REALLY tames the Axiom brightness, and the Energy brightness, and the Paradigm brightness and....

Posted By: pmbuko Re: Upgraditus bit me again... - 12/17/03 06:37 AM
... and it apparently tames your own brightness, too.
Posted By: NeverHappy Re: Upgraditus bit me again... - 12/21/03 06:18 PM
Well since you all brought it up I need to ask something. I to find the Axiom's bright. I also keep the grills off 24/7. Does anybody notice a big difference with the grills on? So far I can't hear much difference but I can also honestly say I have never really sat down and did critical listening with the grills on then off.

As for the Stratos helping out the brightness of the Axiom's, I would say that no the Stratos does not make them any brighter then they are already. That is the one thing I love about Klaus's stuff. It really doesn't add much to the source. No warmth, no brightness not much of nothing. Just clean power. Last time I checked that is all I want an amp to do anyway!

My HT3 will be here the second week in January by the way! In case anybody cares and is thinking about one of these. Klaus has a cap upgrade for these also. If I'm not mistaken it's for the center only!
Posted By: chesseroo Re: Upgraditus bit me again... - 12/21/03 07:15 PM
Speaker grilles are designed so they do not impede the sound.
If they did not, then companies would most likely not use them regardless of their questionable 'protective' value
Grilles on or off is a non-concern.
Posted By: NeverHappy Re: Upgraditus bit me again... - 12/21/03 08:52 PM
I agree with your comments on what the grills are not supposed to do but my ears have told me different in the past. My Paradigm Studio 100's most definitely sounded different with the grills on. The biggest change I have ever heard came with a set of B&W 604's. Huge difference with the grills on versus off. Anyway, like I said I do agree with your comments but I have seen grills make a difference before.

Perhaps all manufactures grills are not created equal?
Posted By: Ken.C Re: Upgraditus bit me again... - 12/21/03 08:55 PM
Just to play both sides of the field again, they could be used for cosmetic as opposed to sound/protection. That said, I don't trust perceptions (ie, how they sounded when you can see how they look).
Posted By: slownlo Re: Upgraditus bit me again... - 12/23/03 02:39 AM
I wasn't.

I was comparing an amp with an amp...In order for ones "ears" to do so you have to use a transducer of some sort no? The brains that be have yet to design a fiber optic neuro-link synaptic accelerator that would render loudspeakers obsolete...

Its all subjective. lets assume that we've heard that a million times before...again, nice purchase...
Posted By: Saturn Re: Upgraditus bit me again... - 12/23/03 03:03 AM
In reply to:

I've heard it with some Theil PCS's (very nice speakers)...The sound was very Nice: Fast and responsive, but lacked any depth/warmth, not a bad thing (I guess) but it seemed to be a little too stoic for my taste.. in comparison the Bryston 3B SST is another story...Bryston has gotten it right again! Balls to the wall headroom, linearity and warmth...they bring out the best in just about any speaker they connect to...

Congrats on your new purchase! I just bougnt a Mei-Xing MC-7R valve rectifier tube preamp (www.mei-xing.com). I switched out the stock chinese 12AX7's with some NOS Telefunkens and its the best dang preamp I've ever heard, very stylish too! I am trying to convince my wife to buy me some Magnepan MG 1.6's for xmas...oh yeah!

Sorry I just saw one amp in your post. In either case I have both Bryston and Maggies and I aggree with you.
http://www.spacelofts.com/x1/

I will also be picking up a tube pre-amp after the new years to play around with.

Saturn

Posted By: NeverHappy Re: Upgraditus bit me again... - 01/15/04 05:29 AM
Hi again all. Just to follow up on a earlier post. Mr. Carver is busy I guess and never answered my email about break in periods on amps etc. Oh well I tried. On the good side I finally got around to picking out my sub. I spent a little more then I wanted but I went with the new SVS.

http://www.svsubwoofers.com/subs_pc_ultra.htm

When I get it I can post back on my thoughts on it if you guys are interested.

Posted By: duffin Re: Upgraditus bit me again... - 01/26/04 07:13 PM
I'm quite curious about this. I couldn't really tell what was so "Ultra" about it compared to other subs from the info on the site.

Also, they're not even available yet, right? Just pre-orders?
Posted By: pmbuko Re: Upgraditus bit me again... - 01/26/04 07:24 PM
What makes it "ultra" is the driver and the amp. All the info is on the site you linked.
Posted By: NeverHappy Re: Upgraditus bit me again... - 02/08/04 06:02 PM
The "Ultra" comes from the use of there high end woofer in a more affordable package and as mentioned, the amp. I got an email from Erik over at SVS and he thinks they will be shipping to me this week. I will post back on how this compares to my old trusty Boston Acoustics VR500. I'm sure it will be head's and shoulders above it but we will see..............
Posted By: ereed Re: Upgraditus bit me again... - 02/11/04 05:11 AM
Grills on or off, doesn't make a difference. They are designed to be anti-reflective and personally I take my grills off because I like the looks of the woofers and looks more hi-tech. But maybe you're looking at the speakers with grills off makes it look better and probably got you thinking it sounds better. he he
Posted By: pmbuko Re: Upgraditus bit me again... - 02/11/04 06:42 AM
I always think the speakers look self-conscious -- and consequently sound a little reserved -- when I undress them.
© Axiom Message Boards