Axiom Home Page
Someone recommended that I post this question here even though it is an axiom site. I have a yamaha rxv-2400 and am thinking of connecting it to a home theater system made up of 4 Tannoy Eyris DC1, an Eyris DCC, and a sub. I was told by the tannoy sales rep that the eyris DCs really need a powerfull/high end amp to sound their best. Would my yamaha do well with such a system? I was also considering the Sensys DC line, but I like the look of the Eyris so much better.
sysadmin,
It seems that many Tannoy retailers have an extra air of arrogance about them. I know, i dealt with one two weeks ago and not for the first time.
Ignore what they said about requiring a high powered amp. Your Yamaha receiver will be just fine. A friend of mine recently bought the Tannoy Saturn S6s for use with his Denon 3802.

Just note, the DC1 is not a very efficient speaker whether it is the Sensys line or the Eyris line (many bookshelves tend to be less efficient than full sized towers) such that your actual sound volume limit will be attained a bit sooner than with other speakers such as Axioms.

It seems to me they have discontinued the Saturn lineup and it appears as though your choice for the new Eyris models are the replacements.
Come back and let us know how things sound once you get all the parts in place. I would love to hear about the Eyris speakers.

Ditto chess. Ignore the salesman. Your 2400 is a very powerful receiver and should be entirely adequate unless you listen at deafening levels in a very large room.
sysadmin,
I've used my 2400 to drive 4 ohm Magnepan MG12s (sensitivity 86db) along with a 4 ohm KEF center and 6 ohm KEF surrounds with no problems what-so-ever. Was that sales rep try to sell you an amp or was he just being a audio snob? You don't say how big you room is but unless it is just cavernous, you should be just fine.
And by deafening levels i'm sure JohnK means about 102-105dB b/c beyond that you will have distortion.
That is about guaranteed.
Then you would need a much larger amp section, say about 200W/channel which might get you 107dB before distortion kicked in (approximating).
© Axiom Message Boards