Axiom Home Page
Posted By: peanuthead Axiom speaker toe-in question/survey - 03/08/04 09:37 PM
Howdy.
I have a stereo set up with a pair of M22ti's and a HSU VTF-2 sub. In my limited experience with various speakers, I've noticed different speakers require different amount of toe-in for optimal sound. With M22's I've noticed that it requires a minimal amt of toe-in - maybe about 5 degrees (my speakers are about 8 feet apart and I sit 9 feet away).
I'm curious to know if there is a consensus on "optimal" toe-in for Axiom speakers among the regulars here.
Thanks for any input!
Posted By: tinfoilhat Re: Axiom speaker toe-in question/survey - 03/08/04 10:19 PM
I think everyone''s angle will vary somewhat based on distance from the speaker, wall reflections, and room attributes.
Posted By: pmbuko Re: Axiom speaker toe-in question/survey - 03/08/04 11:21 PM
While there's no universally correct answer, as tinfoilhat suggested, my speakers are set up similarly and I'd say they're toed in 5 degrees at most.

Toe in is one of the easiest things to tweak, so experiment! I'd even try toe-out, just for fun.

Everybody sing with me now:
You put your left toe in
You put your left toe out
You put your left toe in and you tweak it all about...
Posted By: Twirly22 Re: Axiom speaker toe-in question/survey - 03/08/04 11:59 PM
Ditto on everything. My M22's are much closer (only 4 feet apart) than any other pair of speakers I've ever owned. I've always used much more toe-in than the 5 degress I do now. You're close to that ideal equilateral triangle, so you can play around with it. Just watch the outside reflections.

One caveat: Years ago, I used to spend a lot of time with this tweak, until I realized I was spending more time listening to my equipment than to my music. Don't ever let that happen. Get it sounding good, then just enjoy.
Posted By: pmbuko Re: Axiom speaker toe-in question/survey - 03/09/04 01:49 PM
Twirly,

I couldn't have said it better myself. There's never a shortage of upgrades, things to buy, or tweaks you can do to your system to improve the sound. Once in a while you have to take a step back, look at the big picture, and ask yourself "Am I in this hobby for the equipment or the music?" (or a little of both!)
© Axiom Message Boards