Axiom Home Page
Posted By: Steve Placement of M3ti - 07/18/01 09:07 PM
I am looking at purchasing the M3Ti, but I need to wall mount them instead of using a stand. Will the sound quality be any different if the rear of the speakers are only 4 inches from the wall? Or should I consider the M2Ti where the port may have less of any impact on the sound? I haven't decided yet if I will be using a subwoofer.

Thanks

Posted By: Ian Re: Placement of M3ti - 07/19/01 08:54 AM
4 inches from the wall is more than enough to not have any problems with the rear port on the M3s. The placement of loudspeakers, whether rear ported or not, near a wall or especially a corner will have the effect of increasing bass response. This is generally a desirable effect with bookshelf speakers and or large rooms.

Ian Colquhoun
President & Chief Engineer
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Placement of M3ti - 07/30/01 01:31 AM
I will be mounting a pair of M3ti's in a custom designed wall-unit. My questions have to do with placement:
- will a horizontal mounting affect performance?
- can I design the wall unit shelf with zero clearance aroung the speaker, save for several inches at the rear?
- any other suggestions or comments?

Thanks for your help. It's great to see a Canadian company doing so well on the world's stage.

Posted By: Ian Re: Placement of M3ti - 07/30/01 10:38 AM
Horizontal mounting is fine for the M3s. You should mount them so as the tweeters are pointing at each other for the best imaging. Because the cabinet is angled towards the rear then placement above 3 feet from the floor will require some sort of support to make the speakers face straight out as opposed to up in the room. If the mounting is above 7 feet from the floor you may want to make this support actual point the speakers slightly down. I would not suggest a zero clearance design in the wall unit. A few inches around the sides and top would be very helpful for bass response. Thanks for your comments about our company. We have put many years of work into being able to design and produce what we feel are the finest loudspeakers on the market. It is great to hear all the comments from our customers about how astounded they are with the Axiom product performance and overall quality and service.

Ian Colquhoun
President & Chief Engineer
© Axiom Message Boards