Axiom Home Page
Posted By: speakernewbie Axiom worth it? - 04/28/04 02:40 AM
I am currently in the process of deciding which of two setups to purchase:
a.) Pair of B&W603S3, pair of B&W600s3, LCR600S3
b.) Pair of pair of M60, one VP150,pair of QS8

Problem is the Axiom setup costs$400.00 more than the B&W due to international shipping. I have tried the B&W600 series and wasn't that impressed vs the B&W 700...but am still wondering whether the Axiom sound is worth $400 more.
Posted By: player8 Re: Axiom worth it? - 04/28/04 02:50 AM
Wait a minute, you are still considering buying speakers that didn't impress you?
Posted By: BigWill Re: Axiom worth it? - 04/28/04 03:18 AM
What other options are available to you? Where do you live in this world?
Posted By: speakernewbie Re: Axiom worth it? - 04/28/04 04:51 AM
Am currently staying in Japan. B&W 600 are ok, it is only that the B&W 700 are more impressive. Have no chance of auditioning Axiom thus am concern whether I should go ahead and spend $400 more (vs. B&W 600) for something I have not heard.
Posted By: pmbuko Re: Axiom worth it? - 04/28/04 05:45 AM
A few people on the forum have heard the B&W600 series and were underwhelmed as well. A couple others have hear the 700 series and believed them to be in the same league as the Axioms.

Now the question is, how much more will you have to pay for the 700 series than the Axioms? I would definitely not buy the 600s, especially since they don't wow you.
Posted By: littleb Re: Axiom worth it? - 04/28/04 02:03 PM
I've been down that road. Would I buy B&W again. Not unless Jessica Simpson delivered them in heels and hotpants. And then I would sell them and order Axioms. If you have the right gear pushing they might be ok. I didn't and wasn't willing to upgrade everything just so I could say I own them.
Posted By: ravi_singh Re: Axiom worth it? - 04/28/04 05:14 PM
the B & W 700 series is comparable to Axiom M60's / M80's sound. However, it is several thousand dollars more expensive.

Go with Axiom - better price for the same sound
Posted By: Ray3 Re: Axiom worth it? - 04/28/04 10:49 PM
I've heard the B&W 703s and the M60s are right there with them, at 1/3 the price. Put the B&W 600s out of your mind - they will be a constant case of "what if". If the $$$ are a concern, buy them in stages.
Posted By: spiffnme Re: Axiom worth it? - 04/28/04 11:14 PM
I also think the B&W 703's sound very similar to the Axiom M60ti's. I heard some B&W 600 series bookshelf speakers and disliked them terribly.

Posted By: Lorenzo1000 Re: Axiom worth it? - 04/29/04 12:22 AM
If you dislike something terribly does that mean you actually like it?
Posted By: pmbuko Re: Axiom worth it? - 04/29/04 12:25 AM
I'm glad you pointed that out, because I'd have been called a smart-a** with all the tangential comments I've been making lately.
Posted By: Lorenzo1000 Re: Axiom worth it? - 04/29/04 12:30 AM
Whenever people call me a smart-a** I always reply, oh well it's better than being a dumb-a**. By the way that's a general comment unrelated to anything in this thread or on this board. Besides it's more fun this way.
Posted By: squirrelyz Re: Axiom worth it? - 04/29/04 12:53 AM
here here!

and for more of the same:

My oven went out last night...errrr. I bought this house almost 2 years ago (it was built in '57) and it still had the same oven. It's a 1957 model Frigidaire (at that time, Frigidaire was made by General Motors) in-wall oven - pink and chrome! It worked and looked really cool so I kept it. Well, yesterday I cut some potato wedges and put some spices and olive oil on them, put them on a cookie sheet and into the oven. Then changed clothes for a 20 minute run and headed out. The plan was to come back, spend 30 minutes preparing the rest of dinner and the potatoes would be done. Nope. Had to cut them up and pan fry them. It was a sad, sad moment. So, I get on line to look for a new in-wall oven - the first thing I learn is that they're really expensive. Maybe I shouldn't have been surprised - but really, it's a box that gets hot...how complicated does it have to be? I told the boss about my sad, sad dilemma today - and he mentions that he has an in-wall oven (double oven, even) that his wife replaced for no good reason and I can have the other one if I come get it. Damn straight. It's only about six years old - and knowing his wife, it was surely a nice oven...better than what I have now, anyway. The only down side is I'll lose most of the cabinet space under the old one and I'll have to rebuild the cabinet so the new oven will fit...demolition in the kitchen. But I guess I can broil 400 salmon at the same time.
Posted By: bigjohn Re: Axiom worth it? - 04/29/04 01:55 AM
billy-

you will miss the cabinet space for a small while, but you will be digging that double oven for a long while. its great when you are trying to do a roast, or casserole at 325, and you got bread to cook at 375-400.. pop it all in, and it all gets done at the same time. not to mention, you can do like assembly line cookie making during the holidays.

needless to say, i miss having one.. aahh, memory lane.

bigjohn
Posted By: lupismaximus Re: Axiom worth it? - 06/15/04 12:41 AM
From reading tons of material and looking over the specs, If I were you, I would compare the M60 set up you want to this B&W set up: B&W CM4, LCR600S3, and DM600S3. This will be more of an equal match. I have listened to the B&W 603S3, and I wasn't impressed. When I listened to the B&W CM4, I was blown away. For my ears, they sounded better than the 700 series. I haven't heard the M60 yet, so I can't truly comment. Another speaker setup I would consider is the Oxim Rocket HT pacakage #1: RS 750 Sig Front, RSC 200 Center, RS 250 Rear. I have heard that these speakers are equal to the B&W 700/800 line and Paradigm Reference line. The rockets are said to be a little more relaxed than some speakers. Let this forum know what you finally choose!!
Posted By: speakernewbie Re: Axiom worth it? - 06/15/04 01:00 AM
I finally pushed the button and decided to get the following: M60, VP150, QS80 and HSU STF-2 subwoofer.
Can't get enough of these things.
Posted By: Ajax Re: Axiom worth it? - 06/15/04 02:08 AM
Same identical setup as mine. I'm happy. How 'bout you?
Posted By: Ray3 Re: Axiom worth it? - 06/15/04 02:12 AM
Plan to set aside a couple of days. You only thought you knew your CD and DVD collection. Also-strap yourself in. I would envy you the experience of hearing the Axioms, but I get to hear them every day now that I own them.
© Axiom Message Boards