Axiom Home Page
Posted By: LT61 Speaker sound - 06/15/04 06:51 PM
Just a quick post , I've been seeing a lot of banter about
which speakers sound the best,[imagine that] I hope that all
realize that a HUGE part of the "sound" is the cd mastering.
many cd's are 16 bit,from 5th generation masters, bathed in hiss. I hope when comparing speakers,good cd's [the same one
is best],are used,ie.24bit remaster's etc.
Posted By: bigjohn Re: Speaker sound - 06/15/04 06:57 PM
LT61-

that exact topic has been discussed mucho times in this forum. in fact, it is widely agreed that axioms actually bring out the imperfections and short comings of inferior recordings due to their accurate and precise sound stage. i would think that most, if not all, fair and open audutions of any speaker, would utilize the same cd/recording, along with the same amp/receiver combo..

that is just a given..

bigjohn
Posted By: LT61 Re: Speaker sound - 06/15/04 09:03 PM
I doubt there are many on subject 'new" posts,never before seen, or heard. This is for the other 2000 members,maybe some will like it.
Posted By: ksimple Re: Speaker sound - 06/15/04 09:09 PM
LT61,

How can you tell if a cd is recorded with 24 bit?
Posted By: bigjohn Re: Speaker sound - 06/15/04 09:09 PM
wait, wait.. i think we got off on the wrong foot..

i was meaning no animosity in my post.. i can tell by reading yours that i may have 'pushed your buttons', so to speak.. i should have put a smiley face or two in there.. i wasnt trying to undermine anything you were saying.

i was just trying to point out that from the discussions i have read and participated in, most people feel the same way that you do.. good recording is essential.. with equal standards. thats all.

i hope this 'unpushes' your buttons..

oh, i almost forgot..

its all good

bigjohn
Posted By: Capn_Pickard Re: Speaker sound - 06/15/04 09:19 PM
John - your smiley faces insult and offend me.
Posted By: bigjohn Re: Speaker sound - 06/15/04 09:31 PM
well then i will do this

bigjohn
Posted By: BigWill Re: Speaker sound - 06/15/04 09:36 PM
Now I'm offended! Damn Texans!

About that remastering stuff... huge difference most of the time. I have JJ Cale's Greatest Hits un-remastered, great tunes but you can hear LOTS of tape hiss on the older recordings.
Posted By: Ken.C Re: Speaker sound - 06/15/04 09:50 PM
I'll have to double check on the older recordings, but my M50s sounded better than Peter's M22s on some of the more poorly mastered stuff. A little mre forgiving.
Posted By: Ray3 Re: Speaker sound - 06/15/04 09:58 PM
This is JUST the kind of thing that got the Alamo attacked in the first place!
Posted By: WhatFurrer Re: Speaker sound - 06/15/04 09:59 PM
For those of you offended by smilies, things are supposed to be big in Texas...Try this on for size...

WhatFurrer
Posted By: Ajax Re: Speaker sound - 06/15/04 11:13 PM
OH YEAH? Take this!

Posted By: Ray3 Re: Speaker sound - 06/16/04 02:28 AM
I scoff at you!!!

Posted By: Ajax Re: Speaker sound - 06/16/04 02:54 AM
Ah Ha! Smiley wars. Attack of the dopes!
Posted By: dpristin Re: Speaker sound - 06/16/04 02:57 AM
...and now imagine thoughts of someone new to this forum coming straight to this thread...
Posted By: Ken.C Re: Speaker sound - 06/16/04 03:45 AM
eh, whatever. If they don't like us now, they won't like us later.
Posted By: LT61 Re: Speaker sound - 06/16/04 01:07 PM
Cd's that are 20 or 24bit tend to be much louder when compared with a 16bit cd, at the same setting on you're
reciever. This is the best way to tell "unmarked"cd's
mastering. Some are not totally re-mastered, just made on
20 or 24bit equipment.
Posted By: pmbuko Re: Speaker sound - 06/16/04 05:03 PM
I wouldn't make such a generalization, as loudness has nothing really to do with the resolution of the disc. In general, pop and rock CDs are mastered at a much louder level than classical and jazz, whether they used a 16-bit or 20-bit process.
Posted By: LT61 Re: Speaker sound - 06/16/04 05:39 PM
I'm not, all the levels are up on remasters of any music type, [aad, add,discs,] this makes them "louder".Anyone with an eq.,
that has a spectrum analizer will see the levels higher on 20,24bit re-masters. [I had an eq. with my old system.]
Posted By: Bilbo_Baggins Re: Speaker sound - 06/17/04 05:16 AM
Just to add my .02 cents worth on this topic.

2 thoughts:

1. The person who is leading a remastering project for an album has a tremendous amount to do with how it turns out. I'm not trying to discount compression/bit rates etc... But, when you hear some of the old Zeppelin stuff remastered by Jimmy Page, you understand that that guy has a set of ears on him. Houses of the Holy re-mastered -- Oooh Aaah.

2. I think the recording studios that were used for the original tapes has a lot to do with how the CDs sound. I think the 70s introduced a lot of new concepts in studios that were just flat out wrong. Consequently, there is a lot of bad stuff that know matter how they try to remaster sounds like junk. ESPECIALLY on good speakers like Axioms.

Latest CD that was awesome on the Axioms, Chicago II, tracks: AM Morning, PM Morning, Memories of Love. The French horn jumps to life on the Axioms.

Posted By: LT61 Re: Speaker sound - 06/17/04 12:10 PM
Well said, and correct. I may post a more detailed, informative, version when I have some time, as this is an important factor in judging speakers,......and interesting too! Also ,Chicago 1, Beginings, and, I'm a man sound great
on My M60's.
© Axiom Message Boards