Axiom Home Page
Posted By: donaldekelly M22s vs M3s - 08/20/04 05:03 PM
Yes I am beating the same old dead horse, but I am about to invest in M22s and return my M3s - or not.

I have heard the difference between the M22s and M3s described as slight and as significant. I was wondering what people thought?

Bass should be close and I have a sub so it is not as important. I am asking about the treble and mid range sound.

Big difference or slight? Worth the extra approximately $100?
Posted By: pablo Re: M22s vs M3s - 08/20/04 05:34 PM
When auditioning speakers I was able to do a side-to-side comparison between the two. The M3's are very good - detailed highs, suprisingly good lower freq - very impressive as stand-alone bookshelf speakers. As good as the M3's are, the M22's are substantially better in a few areas:
1. Soundstage / Imaging
2. Detail in mid-freqs
In these areas the M22's really sparkle - especially for the price. The downside on the M22's is the lower freq response - it is limited, but as you have a sub that won't be an issue.
Posted By: ericb Re: M22s vs M3s - 08/21/04 04:46 AM
donaldkelly - I own M22's and just received a pair of M3's today. I set the M3's up on my screen porch as a zone 2 speaker.

Although I didn't do any serious comparisons between the two, I have lived with the M22's for awhile and noticed the difference with the M3's right away - better bass response (when comparing without a sub), and an overall warmer feeling.

I spent several hours today with the M3's playing some background music while I did some reading. My wife and I sat on the porch talking about the day and the sound from the M3's was really soothing, without being muddy sounding (of course you probably know this from your own experience).

The M22's, as has been said so many times before, are more forward sounding, and because of that they sort of command your attention. Great when you are trying to pay close attention to the music or a movie. But don't get me wrong, they still sound good for background music but already I think I prefer the M3's for that purpose.

Btw, I have a sub - an Outlaw LFM-1 - which integrates extremely well with my M22's so there is nothing missing from the bottom end when I listen to them.

Hope this provides a slightly different slant on the comparison between the two speakers. Probably the best way to choose is to think hard about your listening habits - do you like to do a lot of active listening (go for the M22's), or do you like to be involved in other things while the music is playing (keep the M3's).

For HT I bet the M22's probably would beat the M3's hands down. Maybe I'll swap them around just to see.
Posted By: waldis Re: M22s vs M3s - 08/22/04 08:02 AM
Hello guys!
I am new to this forum and the same decision for me - M3 or M22... All i want want is a decent stereo speakers to get new music expierence. I listen to different music, mostly jazz and rock (quess that my bad-quality-electronic-music mp3's collection doesn't count) and want to start hear things i neverd heard before you all are talking here about . 400$ is a lot for me to spend so M3's look's more affordable, but are they good enough?

Thanks,
Waldis
p.s. Excuse me for my english, it's not my native language.
Posted By: 2x6spds Re: M22s vs M3s - 08/22/04 08:05 AM
Hello Waldis

I don't think you can do better for 275 than get a pair of M3s. They are wonderful speakers.
Posted By: alan Re: M22s vs M3s - 08/22/04 05:16 PM
Hey Donald,

What, you don't believe me? I've already sent you at least two private emails describing in detail exactly what Pablo just told you (thank-you, Pablo). Here, I'll say it again: The M22ti's deliver a more transparent and 3-dimensional soundstage than do the M3ti's, greater midrange and upper-octave detail and clarity (the latter is particularly noticeable on A/B switching with the M3ti's on large choral and orchestral works, and vocals) and somewhat greater power handling and peak output capabilities.

Regards,
Posted By: donaldekelly Re: M22s vs M3s - 08/22/04 07:30 PM
Alan

I do trust you and am very impressed that you are not just better than that pimply guy at Best Buy who also gives advice, but in fact are at the other end of the spectrum - a true expert who is available to advise and is honest enough to say that one of of his employer's products is not as good as another one is.

The problem I have is I have not heard the M22s and no one in my area has them so I could hear them (as far as I know).

It is no secret that some people think the M22s are a bit harsh, so I wanted second opinions. In addition, speaker quality can be subjective. Sure the M22s sound qualitatively different to you and you have spelled this out to me three times now (thank you). But, other people apparently hear other things. One professional reveiwer said the M22s sound better - but ONLY in direct comparison (if I am remembering the review correctly - I think it is one that is linked from the Axiom website).

So, like a blind man trying to choose a good painting for his living room (awk - my analogies are making even me wince), I am unable to hear these speakers so I am asking a lot of questions. Probably too many, but I feel more comfortable doing this.

Yes it is only a $25 charge to send them back if I don't want them after I get them, but I would rather not waste the money and time.

I do appreciate your emails - and ponder them like a neophyte pondering the sayings of a wise man - since there is so much knowledge and experience behind those words.

I tend to think what you are saying about the quality of the M22s is accurate and those who think it is harsh or not that different from the M3 just don't like sharp clear sound or haven't taken the time you and others who own the M22 have to listen. More statements like Pablo's will just reassure me in my "high stakes" gamble.

Okay - I am just obsessing, I admit it.

By the way, there is a nasty rumor that you get a $500 commission on each pair of M22s you sell. I don't believe it, though.
Posted By: waldis Re: M22s vs M3s - 08/22/04 11:21 PM
Are these differences noticable by untrained-ear or you must be a hardcore expert to notice? Do you need to upgrade to 10x more expensive amplifier or what?

Waldis
Posted By: BigWill Re: M22s vs M3s - 08/23/04 02:06 AM
"By the way, there is a nasty rumor that you get a $500 commission on each pair of M22s you sell. I don't believe it, though."

Hahaha, that's pretty funny. M22s only cost $400. A $500 commission would put Axiom in the hole $100 - not counting overhead, materials, etc...
I think if you allow someone over to your house to audition your Axioms, and they end up buying some, you get $20. Big deal - the auditioner will likely consume more than $20 worth of your beer.
Posted By: waldis Re: M22s vs M3s - 08/24/04 10:13 PM
If here's no one to stop me i am going to order M3's right now. Ok. i'll wait until evening, just enough time for you guys to post your comments..

Waldis
Posted By: BigWill Re: M22s vs M3s - 08/25/04 12:25 AM
Yeah, give them a try. Your English isn't bad, by the way. There are some guys around here that must be using translator software - and they live in Texas!
Posted By: INANE Re: M22s vs M3s - 09/01/04 04:17 AM
I have a pair of M3's and I've listened to M22's before (although not at high sound levels).

I would say it comes down to personal taste. The M3's are laid back and the M22's are forward. I am very impressed with the M3's but if I could swap them for M22's I would most likely do that because of my personal taste.

A lil more about my experience with the M3's... Being that they are more laid back I've found even at dbs in the mid 90's that the sound is still pretty clear and not overly fatiging. At low levels I think they sound extremely *comfortable*. In fact I'd say these speakers maintain a pretty consitant sound no matter how loud you like your music.
Posted By: donaldekelly Re: M22s vs M3s - 09/01/04 03:32 PM
Hey Waldis,

Did you order the M3s? I did and am listening to them almost non stop - but am going to return them when the M22s I ordered come - since I like forward, clear, sharp sound.

The M3s are very good in my opinion. Took me a few hours to appreciate them - probably had to do with having them too high up on the top shelf - because I wanted to A/B compare with my Paradigm Titans which were at ear level. The Titans are now in the bedroom and the M3s are pretty close to ear level and they sound great.

I ordered the M22s cause I don't want a "What If" feeling - I expect I will like those even more. As Allan pointed out - just about $85 more if I return the M3s and order the M22s from the outlet page. And wait a couple weeks longer.

Thanks all for the advice.

The Titans are good speakers by the way, but clearly not as good as out of position M3s. To much boxy noise and exagerated bass (except on some rock albums where extra bass is welcome - but I have a sub so the famous Paradigm bass hump is pointless).

Ugh - I am going to have to find a better picture of myself or put my cute daughter back on!
Posted By: bigjohn Re: M22s vs M3s - 09/01/04 04:31 PM
no donald, i like the look.

its sort of that 'angry, confused, stressed out, city dweller look'.. i reckon its a fair representation of your daily life

the daily grind of a big city life would absolutely kill me.. i dont know how ya'll do it???

bigjohn
Posted By: donaldekelly Re: M22s vs M3s - 09/01/04 05:26 PM
What is the "singing bush" about?
Posted By: bigjohn Re: M22s vs M3s - 09/01/04 05:43 PM
its a line from a movie.. 'THE THREE AMIGOS'!!

with chevy chase, martin short, and steve martin. its a goofy western set in the 1920's. these guys play actors and they are hired to go save a mexican village from an evil ruler called 'EL WAPPO'. the movie is literally so goofy and stupid that i nearly wet myself everytime i watch it. the movie is simple slapstick, pratfall kinda humor, and i love it.. go rent the movie, and you will understand why i find the line, "excuse me, are you the singing bush?', so funny!!

bigjohn

Posted By: ericb Re: M22s vs M3s - 09/01/04 05:59 PM
BigJohn - thanks for the explanation. I always thought it was a G.W. reference!
Posted By: bigjohn Re: M22s vs M3s - 09/01/04 06:00 PM
naw, im not that clever

bigjohn
Posted By: Ajax Re: M22s vs M3s - 09/01/04 06:31 PM
Don't hold me to this, but I think it was El Guapo (Guapo means "pretty" in Spanish). Maybe any who speak Spanish can clear it up for us. And who did the voice of the singing bush? No peeking now. If I don't get a quick answer, I'm gonna assume somebody is using google?
Posted By: donaldekelly Re: M22s vs M3s - 09/01/04 07:12 PM
I think guapo is usually applied to men - more like "handsome" is in English. Bonita is usually used for pretty (by my Salvadorean friends anyway).
Posted By: Ajax Re: M22s vs M3s - 09/01/04 07:45 PM
C'mon! With a name like "Kelly" I'm supposed to trust your Spanish? (But then, there is Anthony Quinn)

I think you're probably correct. But, here's the online dictionary which gave me the "pretty" result. Ya just can't trust some dictionaries.

After checking another couple of online dictionaries, one had no definitions for "guapo," and another had 3: "good looking," "handsome," and interestingly, "bouncer." I suspect the character in the movie, who was very funny, by the way, was supposed to be El "handsome," which he wasn't. Fun movie, though.
Posted By: BigWill Re: M22s vs M3s - 09/02/04 02:00 AM
I'm pretty sure it means "handsome". I had some muy bonita female students who always came into my class at lunch and called me guapo. Teaching is a tough gig, let me tell you.
Posted By: pmbuko Re: M22s vs M3s - 09/02/04 02:07 AM
So that's why all my male high school teachers liked to stay seated behind their desks or standing behind podiums...
Posted By: bigjohn Re: M22s vs M3s - 09/02/04 07:01 PM
In reply to:

I had some muy bonita female students who always came into my class at lunch and called me guapo

in that case, i think it means "loud, angry, bald guy"...

hehe.. sorry man, i just couldnt resist.. BTW- i can feel what you are saying about teaching bein tough!! when my wife was student teaching, i used to go up to the high school to talk to her and such.. and holy moly. my head was on a swivel the whole time.. i felt like some perv..

they didnt make girls look like that when i went to high school!!! WHEW...

bigjohn
Posted By: donaldekelly Re: M22s vs M3s - 09/02/04 07:58 PM
I got a better picture of myself. This is what you look like when you get all your speakers from yard sales and play them loud.

I am hoping the Axioms repair the damage.
Posted By: waldis Re: M22s vs M3s - 09/03/04 04:54 AM
Hi, Donald!

Yes, i am a very happy owner of Axiom M3's!
They sound much better than my old Klipsch mini-bookshelf speakers and better than my old studio headphones i usually used to compare 'how this should sound'. Too bad i am far away from my home (i live in Latvia - small country in east Europe in a coast of Baltic sea) to listnen them on a good amplifier, but i am sure that i will be even more pleased. I will definetly keep these little speakers!

Actually now i am so addicted to good sound that i am constantly monitoring Ebay for Accuphase, Burmester, Musical Fidelity or Mark Levinson amps... I now, am crazy! like we all are )))
Posted By: NeverHappy Re: M22s vs M3s - 09/05/04 11:08 PM
I have had both and think this statement is right on the money::

In reply to:

Although I didn't do any serious comparisons between the two, I have lived with the M22's for awhile and noticed the difference with the M3's right away - better bass response (when comparing without a sub), and an overall warmer feeling.

The M3's are warmer or more laid back then the 22's. Is that better? Well that depends on what you prefer. It's like the 50's vs the 80's. Inspite of what a few have posted, the 50's will rock just as loud as the 80's but the 50's are once again warmer or laid back........whatever term you want to use.

© Axiom Message Boards