Axiom Home Page
Posted By: Ken.C Joshua Tree?!!! - 10/07/04 02:17 AM
Now, I know that it's commonly said that The Joshua Tree is the worst mastered album of all time, and people should be shot for attempting to listen to it on good speakers, but I just had it in the CD player, you know... Just sitting here, and Trip Through Your Wires comes on. A massive soundstage opens in front of me, everything's clear, sounds great. A little like they recorded in a room with a few echoes, but it sort of adds to things. What gives? (no DSP, just the M50s and the sub, btw).
Posted By: pmbuko Re: Joshua Tree?!!! - 10/07/04 04:44 AM
I don't think anyone has said it's the worst mastered album of all time, but it's not fantastic, that's for sure. Bad mastering doesn't always collapse the soundstage. What it often does is reduce the dynamic headroom available to the data, meaning (in English), that there are fewer levels of gradation between soft and loud. (As a side note, hot, compressed CDs are easier on amps than non-compressed CDs.)

I just gave it a listen and it may just be the worst-sounding track on the album, honestly. It does give me the feeling of a wider soundstage, but I think that's just the ambiance (natural or artificial) of the recording. The drums sound hollow and all the instruments are sorta smeared together across the front. No definition.

What are you smoking?

Try listening to that track, and then switching to anything on the Buena Vista Social Club disc, for example. The difference is night and day.
Posted By: Ken.C Re: Joshua Tree?!!! - 10/07/04 04:49 AM
ouch.
Posted By: NeverHappy Re: Joshua Tree?!!! - 10/07/04 04:53 AM
I had to check this out so I fired it up and yeah I agree, in CD or MP3 it still sounded kinda bad............the whole CD that is. I have heard far worse however! But there is hope on the horizon. I just had a listen to the new single Vertigo and it sounds not to bad at all.
Posted By: pmbuko Re: Joshua Tree?!!! - 10/07/04 04:57 AM
de tk r jrrbs!
Posted By: spiffnme Re: Joshua Tree?!!! - 10/07/04 07:14 AM
They're greatest hits cd...

sounds great!

Posted By: INANE Re: Joshua Tree?!!! - 10/13/04 03:32 AM
I'd say dynamic headroom is the most often fubar'd thing when albums are mixed (at least the stuff I listen too)

Drives me crazy! It's my personal music pet peeve
Posted By: real80sman Re: Joshua Tree?!!! - 10/16/04 11:31 AM
I too wanted to check this out. I have both - The Joshua Tree and the Greatest Hits that Craig is showing above.

After some back to back listening, the Greatest Hits is definitely better, but it still has too much compression in the midrange. Everything in this region seems muddled together and washed over. Drums and bass seem to be the biggest improvement. Much clearer and prevelant - they aren't overwhelmed and distant like on the original CD.

Also, on the Greatest Hits, I find big differences song-to-song. With or Without You is bearable, but Angel of Harlem sounds aweful. (and it was recorded later)

The songs are now bearable to listen to on decent speakers, but overall it is a half-assed effort. In the liners, there are lots of old pictures, but no commentary, and no discography. Plus, there is still lots of room for improvement in the audio.

Shawn
Posted By: spiffnme Re: Joshua Tree?!!! - 10/16/04 01:45 PM
At least you can listen to it. That original Joshua Tree is simply not worth throwing in your cd player. Bleck.

btw...my copy of the greatest hits is an import with HDCD, don't know if that makes any difference.

Posted By: real80sman Re: Joshua Tree?!!! - 10/16/04 07:51 PM
Exactly - at least it is listenable.

My copy is just standard. It would be nice to know if there is any difference between it and the HDCD.
Posted By: Ken.C Re: Joshua Tree?!!! - 10/16/04 08:30 PM
Well, maybe the M50s are more forgiving (or I have no ears), but Joshua Tree isn't unlistenable. Just not nearly as good as other stuff I've got. I've just discovered that Dada's self titled album is pretty darn good.
Posted By: Rock_Head Re: Joshua Tree?!!! - 10/17/04 09:30 PM
Thought I would throw my 2 cents worth in....
The Joshua Tree does sound kind of crappy!!!
The most recent U2 release (Elevation) is recorded much better than their previous cd's. Lately I find myself listening to their DVD's (Elevation Tour & Slane Castle)rather than the old cd's. The sound is far better than the cd's.
Posted By: AdamP88 Re: Joshua Tree?!!! - 10/19/04 01:51 PM
In reply to:

The most recent U2 release (Elevation)

Actually the title is All That You Can't Leave Behind. Apparently U2 went from liking short titles to liking long titles. Their first few albums - Boy, October, War... and their upcoming album (which is getting very positive (p)reviews) is titled How To Dismantle An Atomic Bomb. I think I prefer the short titles.

There, you forced my U2 geekiness out.
Posted By: bigjohn Re: Joshua Tree?!!! - 10/19/04 02:10 PM
OK... hows this for U2 geekiness...

the ONLY U2 album that i have is an original vinyl of their first live attempt, "Under a Blood Red Sky".. this album, to me, is still their best, and shows the true passion they have, or had. i remember buying this in the 7th grade, and just listening to it over, and over, and over again. it was almost mesmurizing to listen to.. the constant marching type percussion, the intricate and full guitar rhythms, and bono interacting with the crowd. it was, and still is, one of my favorite albums.. to be honest, i need to go ahead and get a cd version, cause my album sure has some wear and tear on it. i have no idea how it would stand up against the others as far as quality of sound, but i know the messgae and its delivery are second to none.

my only complaint would be that its too short.. only 8 songs if i remember right.

bigjohn

Posted By: pmbuko Re: Joshua Tree?!!! - 10/19/04 02:36 PM
Yeah, now U2 has sold their souls to ... Steve Jobs!
Posted By: KCSkins Re: Joshua Tree?!!! - 10/19/04 06:59 PM
In case anyone was interested in checking out the video for the new U2 song "Vertigo," here you go. This tune is already a hit with me. But the best thing I love about U2 is that they keep redefining themselves with each new release. Not many bands can do that it seems. Can't wait to hear this whole recording when it comes out.

http://www.u2exit.com/htdaab/vertigo.shtml

-Kevin
© Axiom Message Boards