Axiom Home Page
Posted By: Chris Lovin my Axioms - CD HELP!!! - 10/07/04 07:26 PM
Just got my M60's and WOW...really liking re-listening to old CD's hearing new sounds!!!

I've always wanted to expand my musical selection but really have no clue of who/what to buy. I'd LOVE to get some good Jazz / Blues CD's. As well as a nice classical CD for demoing purposes (as well as relzxation music).

Any suggestions on GREAT sounding CD's I should add to my collection? I do not have SACD yet, so will not be a factor for me.

Thanks in advance!!!
Posted By: LT61 Re: Lovin my Axioms - CD HELP!!! - 10/07/04 07:38 PM
There's a good thread on page 6 of this section.
Posted By: ScottA Re: Lovin my Axioms - CD HELP!!! - 10/07/04 08:24 PM
I just recently bought Norah Jones CD for my wife. I am usually not into that kind of music, but wow what a voice. It is just beautiful. I bought the SACD and she really shows off my Axioms. That is my first SACD and now I have bought the Eagles DVD-Audio "Hell Freezes Over". Can't wait to buy more.
Posted By: bray Re: Lovin my Axioms - CD HELP!!! - 10/07/04 11:28 PM
Try Keb Mo..."Just like You".
blues
Posted By: JohnK Re: Lovin my Axioms - CD HELP!!! - 10/08/04 02:22 AM
Okay Chris, here's your help for some classical items that fit your needs. I'll mention first the Holst Planets with Mehta and the Los Angeles Philharmonic on Decca Eloquence 467 418(about $8)which I often suggest here as a terrific bargain. Second, the Tchaikovsky Swan Lake excerpts with Lanchbery and the Philharmonia on Seraphim 74506(about $7). Third(I'll stop here although I could go on and on, of course)Smetana's Ma Vlast(My Country)with Berglund and the Dresden State Orchestra on Seraphim 73736(about $7). All of these are shown as being in stock at your Cincinnati Borders at Eastgate, Northgate or Princeton Plaza, so go get 'em.
Posted By: Chris Re: Lovin my Axioms - CD HELP!!! - 10/08/04 01:14 PM
Thanks for the suggestions, will be sure to get at least one of those classicals to check out...then go from there.

I popped in Norah Jones New CD last night...WOW...sounds incredible (not SACD though...do not have a SACD or DVD audios player....YET).

Also popped in, Don't laugh, Michael Jacksons Thriller CD....Aagain..WOW on the Axioms. Gotta give it to wacko, that CD's mix is NICE!!!!
Posted By: BigWill Re: Lovin my Axioms - CD HELP!!! - 10/08/04 08:40 PM
I have a 3 CD set of the complete Bach harpsichord concertos that sounds awesome. I have that Holst John recommended, as well. It is very cool - nice recording, lively with huge crescendos.
Loreena McKennit's "Book of Secrets" is a phenomenal recording. Arturo Sandoval's "my Passion for the Piano" and "Trumpet Evolution" are both great recordings, too.
Posted By: BUDSNAXZ Re: Lovin my Axioms - CD HELP!!! - 10/10/04 12:46 AM
John,
Where do you shop online for those classical CD's?

I punched Holst Planets into the search on Amazon and it came up with Holst: The Planets; Elgar / Karajan, Monteux and Andre Previn / with the royal philharmonic. I can't find the version Holst Planets with Mehta and the Los Angeles Philharmonic on Decca Eloquence 467 418.
Thanks
Mac

"I feel more like I do now than when I got here!"

Posted By: JohnK Re: Lovin my Axioms - CD HELP!!! - 10/10/04 05:23 AM
Mac, I think that Amazon is relatively hard to navigate and prefer Tower Records and also Arkiv(depending on price). But on Amazon a good way is to search classical and punch in "planets mehta", for example, which gets there. If you want to order from them and get the over $25 free shipping let me suggest you get "swan lake lanchbery", "hungarian dances bogar", "carmina burana muti", or "ma vlast berglund", all of them terrific bargains at $6.98. Let me know if you have any more difficulty.
Posted By: bridgman Re: Lovin my Axioms - CD HELP!!! - 10/10/04 01:24 PM
Stop, Stop, you're making it too easy to spend money !!

Seriously, having the amazon searches really helps. They even work first time up here in Canada (amazon.ca). Thanks !!

Posted By: JaimeG Re: Lovin my Axioms - CD HELP!!! - 10/10/04 07:02 PM
excellent CD, the sound is incredible. It's so good that I was thinking on also buying the sacd version.
Posted By: BUDSNAXZ Re: Lovin my Axioms - CD HELP!!! - 10/11/04 01:56 AM
Thanks John
Mac
Posted By: Dick Re: Lovin my Axioms - CD HELP!!! - 10/15/04 12:19 AM
As has often been noted, the sound quality of most of the older rock/pop music (cd's)leaves a lot to be desired. As one of the old guys around here, I'd like to hear more of the 50-70's stuff, but the poor quality I've gotten most of the time makes me really reluctant to buy any more of it. Can anyone offer some guides to better sounding oldies? How are the 'Time/Life' compilations, for instance? Do any other sources offer decent sound quality on the older stuff?
Thanks for your help guys ...
Posted By: BrenR Re: Lovin my Axioms - CD HELP!!! - 10/15/04 04:15 AM
Stay away from the MCA Millenium Collections (the silver Best of albums) available at P.O.S. displays.

I bought the Who one. My Generation digitally clips throughout the entire song. Woo for digital distortion.

Bren R.
Posted By: bugzyseg Re: Lovin my Axioms - CD HELP!!! - 10/15/04 03:00 PM
Try JandR.com, selection is good, prices cannot be matched
Posted By: BigWill Re: Lovin my Axioms - CD HELP!!! - 10/15/04 04:45 PM
Some of the remastered discs are good. Also be on the lookout for older artists' new recordings. I have a Clarence "Gatemouth" Brown CD from 2000 that is just awesome. John Lee Hooker "Mr Lucky" is good, too.
Posted By: jorge016 Re: Lovin my Axioms - CD HELP!!! - 10/15/04 05:02 PM
I've got most of the Jimi Hendrix on vinyl. Any recommendations as far as CD's? How do the remastered disks sound?
Posted By: LT61 Re: Lovin my Axioms - CD HELP!!! - 10/15/04 05:11 PM
All of the current (AUTHORIZED) Hendrix cd's in print are re-mastered, and sound pretty good.......especially: "first rays of the new rising sun"......"south saturn delta".
Posted By: BigWill Re: Lovin my Axioms - CD HELP!!! - 10/15/04 05:15 PM
I have Smash Hits, Blues, and that live disc with Machine Gun on it (forget the LP name). To be honest I really don't listen to them much and I don't know if they're remastered or not. I'll take a look when I get home.
Posted By: bugzyseg Re: Lovin my Axioms - CD HELP!!! - 10/15/04 08:40 PM
Holst

http://www.jr.com/JRProductPage.process?Product=3769615
Posted By: Rock_Head Re: Lovin my Axioms - CD HELP!!! - 10/17/04 09:39 PM
Hi Chris,
Glad to hear that you are enjoying your M60's!
I have been slowly going through my cd collection and have come across some cd's that sound outstanding with the M60's
Santana (Supernatural & Shaman)
Dire Straits (Brothers in Arms)
Alice in Chains (Unplugged)
Cheers,
Shaun
© Axiom Message Boards