Axiom Home Page
Posted By: gfabbri Horizontal, on-bookshelf mounting? - 11/08/04 06:23 PM
I'm reluctantly giving up my floorstanding Paradigm Reference 60's due to a redesign of my living room. The new setup will (for design and kid-safety reasons) have the new set of Axiom 3ti's or 22ti's mounted on a bookshelf horizontally (ugh!), probably on some cone points.

I'm asking for any advice on the 3ti's vs. the 22ti's in this far-from-ideal setup, and also any tips or tweaks that migh make this setup a little better (obviously a good set of floor-mounted stands would, but the wife ain't having it!).

Thanks!
Posted By: pmbuko Re: Horizontal, on-bookshelf mounting? - 11/08/04 09:09 PM
Yikes!

Well, since you seem to really love the Studio 60s, I think you'd prefer the M22s over the M3s, since they aer similar sounding speakers, with the exception of bass output. (You will have a sub, right?)

As far as mounting them horizontally, I'd recommend not using cone points. The reason for this is that the the M22s, and all Axiom speakers, have a wedge-shaped cabinet. Putting them on cones would result in the speakers pointing slightly upward. If possible, I'd use a bracket and mount them on the wall. This would give you some flexibility in aiming them toward your sweet spot. One last piece of advice, if you must mout them horizontally, is to have that the tops of the M22s face each other, so the tweeters are closest to your ears.

At the request of my wife, I gave up my Paradigm Monitor 9s about 1.5 years ago and replaced them with M22s and an SVS sub. This combination far surpasses the sound I got from the Paradigms alone. With luck, you'll survive this ordeal.
Posted By: Ray3 Re: Horizontal, on-bookshelf mounting? - 11/08/04 09:14 PM
Yep - horizontal is not a good thing. Wall mount/floor stand/ceiling hang, but avoid horizontal. If you MUST have horizontal audio, mount the speakers vertically, then lie down on the floor.
Posted By: bigjohn Re: Horizontal, on-bookshelf mounting? - 11/08/04 09:16 PM
In reply to:

if you MUST have horizontal audio, mount the speakers vertically, then lie down on the floor.

ray, your my hero!!!!

bigjohn
Posted By: Ray3 Re: Horizontal, on-bookshelf mounting? - 11/08/04 10:03 PM
Thank you John - an honor I do not take lightly!!
Posted By: gfabbri Re: Horizontal, on-bookshelf mounting? - 11/09/04 02:14 PM
Hmmm.. I see the problem -- I didn't realize that they were wedge-shaped.

Anyone have an idea how much narrower the back panel is than the front?

Thanks,

Gian
Posted By: samandnoah Re: Horizontal, on-bookshelf mounting? - 11/09/04 11:34 PM
First, while it is not ideal, don't let everyone scare you. I, too, had to convert my set-up from vertical M22s to horizontal. They are wall mounted about 7 ft high.

pmbuko gave you good advice, which Alan also gave, and that is that you want the tweeters towards each other.

The sound is not ideal, but I have to say that angled downward, and slightly toed it (for my set up), the sound is still outstanding. Since mine are near the ceiling, the bass gets some extra reinforcement, and I need to recalibrate for the room.

But overall I am pretty pleased, and you can still get great results.

Rich

Posted By: gfabbri Re: Horizontal, on-bookshelf mounting? - 11/11/04 04:12 PM
Thanks for the feedback. Much appreciated.
© Axiom Message Boards