Axiom Home Page
I heard lots of people talk about room acoustic and I'm planning to do DIY acoustic panel to absorb the first reflection of speaker. But How can i tell if i need it?
thanks.
If your imaging is crystal clear and you can easily "sense" exactly where each instrument is located between (and occasionally beyond) the speakers then you probably can live without treating the reflection points.

If you read about crystal clear imaging and wonder what they're talking about, you probably need to treat the reflection points
thanks. The reason i'm asking because i can hear very high pitch(not sure how to describe it) when listening to high vocal such as celine dion. It's kind of uncomfortable high end. May be titanium tweeter plays a role here?

[uncomfortable high end] That's not the acoustics, that's just Celine Dion!

I was hoping someone would say that before I did.
I was thinking the same thing (that's what Celine sounds like ) but seriously room treatments wouldn't normally help with something like that. I'm not a big Celine Dion fan at the best of times but I wasn't real impressed the few times I heard her albums played on a good stereo, ie I didn't think the recordings were real good.

The one downside of a real accurate speaker is that if the recording has a hard edge you will hear it loud and clear. The M3s, 40s and 50s are supposed to be a bit more tolerant in that regard.

Do you hear this effect on all Celine's albums or just a few albums/tracks ? If just some, it might be worth posting the details so someone else on the board who has the album can comment re: whether they hear the same thing.
Not all of her albums and all of her songs. The one i heard last night was "One Heart" . It was supposed to be good song, but i guess the recording was not so good. Honestly, I didn't pay much attention until last night. I will hear her album again and post any song that i think it's not good recording. But with Diana Krall sounds so good on my M60...:)
Yes, Diana was made for Axioms. If you can believe it, she even sounds a tiny bit better on M2s than on M60s.
I was tempted to say the same thing however I didn't want to hurt anyone's feelings! My wife and I are both Canucks and can't stand Celine. Great talent but horribly overplayed on the radio!
Maybe her cd's are recorded for radio?
Maybe Bren will chime in with his usual entertaining spin on things?
Does anyone in Canada (at least outside Quebec) actually like Celine Dion ? Everyone used to joke that "we export so much talent to the US, how come we gotta be stuck with Celine ?".

Geez, another thread off the rails
I've got Diana Krall's "Live in Paris" and "Live at the Montreal Jazz Festival" on DVD and the sound is amazing, her voice is so sexy on my M60's
I might have to buy this Diana Krall CD...I don't even know who she is - shows u how much I know about music
She's a jazz and standards artist. If you like that kind of music, you'll like Diana Krall.

If you have a player that is SACD and DVD-A capable, may I recommend her "When I look In Your Eyes" SACD. I have been absolutely mesmerized by this SACD. Great performance, superb mix, and incredible mastering job. The spatial clarity is jaw-dropping. Nothing I have ever heard sounds like this SACD. Simply stunning. (note: This SACD will ONLY play on an SACD capable player.)

I preferred the SACD to the DVD-A version (I have both). But, if you only have a standard DVD player, you might pick up the DVD-A version which will play in DD 5.1.

Also, her "Live in Paris" DVD (not the CD) will play in DD 5.1 surround, and is a really good DVD. She's as pleasant to look at as she is to listen to.
I think Jack has a hankerin' for this here wooooman!

Jacks Dream Last Night:

Oh...Jackie.... I'm so glad to see you...I've been waiting...

Ummmmm..enjoying your vintage equipment....(sorry! )

Please, tell me more about crossover frequencies... I'm sooo interested!

I'm so sorry I forgot to order the adhesive for the Auralex, honey. Here, I'll hold it with my head!

isnt she married to elvis costello?

i guess that shows there is hope for ugly, talented guys!!

bigjohn
She's not classically beautiful, but I find her quite lovely. And she gets a whole lot more beautiful when she opens her mouth.........................................................to sing, you filthy minded cretins, to SING!
In reply to:

she gets a whole lot more beautiful when she opens her mouth

doesn't every woman?

bigjohn
NO!!
I've known more than one woman that should never open their mouth for any reason.
Yes, she is married to Elvis Costello. She grew up on Vancouver Island. A buddy's co-worker went to high school with her and she evidently didn't look like this back then. On another note, an old friend from many years ago is married to Diana's younger sister. I'll have to look him up and try to score some concert tickets to the Vancouver Jazz festival this summer.
i didnt look like this in high school either.

the times, they are a changin'.

bigjohn
Rock_Head,

A co-worker of mine clued me in to his theory of hot vs. cute women. Hot women lose their looks rapidly as they age. Cute women often come into their good looks after adolescence, and retain them into the old and wrinkly years.

His advice? Date hotties, marry a cutie.
The spandex, it is a-stretchin'
Peter,
That is good advice. I did something like that, dated hotties and married a hottie/cutie!
Cheers,
Shaun

That sounds like useful advice, right up there with "the mother test".
The "mother test" is the mother of all tests! Very useful indeed.
© Axiom Message Boards