Axiom Home Page
Posted By: barilkobart Problem with M60s? - 03/05/05 06:07 PM
Had my M60s since December 2004 and absolute love them!

However, I have noticed that the internal insulation is protruding out of the front port:

Both of them are doing it, but only on the front ports.
Its funny watching the insulation poke in/out of the ports with the music! (can send a AVI file of this via PM).

Doesn't affect the sound (that I am aware of).

Has anybody else experienced this?
Is there a problem with my M60s?
Should I be worried about it?

BarilkoBart

VP150/M60s/QS8/AX1.5
Pioneer VSX-D810s Receiver
Bryston 3B Amp (mains)
Thomas Patterson Amp (center and sub)

Posted By: bridgman Re: Problem with M60s? - 03/05/05 06:31 PM
Do you have a cat ? Apparently "bobbing for damping material in the vortex ports" is a favorite cat pastime.
Posted By: barilkobart Re: Problem with M60s? - 03/05/05 06:40 PM
LOL

Yes, I do, but the grills are usually on them.

Posted By: richeydog Re: Problem with M60s? - 03/05/05 08:35 PM
Maybe you should contact Axiom about this. I'm sure they'll know what to do.

OT: Our resident port expert bigjohn might be able to help. I wonder if he makes housecalls?
Posted By: MarkSJohnson Re: Problem with M60s? - 03/05/05 08:54 PM
In reply to:

I wonder if he makes housecalls?

And I wonder if he makes catcalls?
Posted By: MarkSJohnson Re: Problem with M60s? - 03/05/05 09:32 PM
I checked my M60s and, although the insulation is visible in the back of each port, they're not pulling out.

There shouldn't be any cause for concern... just gently push it back in!
Posted By: AshBoomstick Re: Problem with M60s? - 03/05/05 10:15 PM
In reply to:

Our resident port expert bigjohn might be able to help

dude, you do NOT want him messing with your ports!! seriously though, i got my M60s in December too and i haven't had any problems with them so far, but then again i don't have sneaky cat either.
Posted By: Michael_A Re: Problem with M60s? - 03/06/05 02:37 PM
The easy solution is to use an allen wrench to remove the bottom driver. Then you can reach in with your hand and push the offending batting back into place. Just don't pack it in too tightly and you should be fine.
Posted By: bridgman Re: Problem with M60s? - 03/06/05 05:54 PM
>>The easy solution is to use an allen wrench to remove the bottom driver. Then you can reach in with your hand and push the offending batting back into place.

Just don't let the cat see you doing this or it will be all over the ports. I put one of those X-10 motion sensors down by the walkout basement door so I could hear when the dogs wanted to go out at night (bedroom is two flights up).

Worked fine until one of the dogs (Curly, the evil smart one) knocked the motion sensor over, disabling it. I noticed and stood it back up again (it was on the floor by the door, dog-level you know). Now whenever he wants attention the first thing Curly does is knocks over the motion sensor. I moved it from the floor to a chair -- that didn't stop him. Now it's hung up on the wall and he's jumping at it as I speak.

Free to good home. Nice dog, really.
Posted By: MarkSJohnson Re: Problem with M60s? - 03/06/05 07:29 PM
In reply to:

Free to good home. Nice dog, really.

John:
I would be interested in taking your dog, but... I dunno... Last time I visited you and took Curly's picture...you know, the one you described as evil and smart. Anyway... I dunno... that dog just creeps me out!

Posted By: bridgman Re: Problem with M60s? - 03/06/05 07:56 PM
Words fail me...
Posted By: ravi_singh Re: Problem with M60s? - 03/06/05 08:56 PM
that's freaky
Posted By: AshBoomstick Re: Problem with M60s? - 03/06/05 10:05 PM
i honestly think i'd crap my pants if i ever saw a dog like that. due to laughing or fear, i'm not sure
Posted By: bigjohn Re: Problem with M60s? - 03/06/05 10:48 PM
my "messing with ports" days are over. its an all new life for me now!!

BTW- i have no probs with insulation coming from the ports.

bigjohn
Posted By: bray Re: Problem with M60s? - 03/07/05 12:58 AM
"BTW- i have no probs with insulation coming from the ports."

With your bad habbits, I guess not.

Posted By: BigWill Re: Problem with M60s? - 03/08/05 05:17 AM
bigjohn, perhaps you could suggest a tool the original poster might use to ram that insulation back in place?

OTOH, maybe a little piece of darker foam - cut to fit the opening - would successfully hide the white insulation w/out affecting sound quality.
Posted By: biggsly5000 Re: Problem with M60s? - 03/08/05 05:14 PM
That is just f*#%*^ up. If I ever saw something like that near me I would run for the frickin' hills. Creepy just plain creepy.
Posted By: Seabear Re: Problem with M60s? - 03/11/05 04:10 PM
I've been to this thread about 5 times and I keep forgetting about that damn dog, and I just about crap my pants every time I see it.
Damn Right it's creepy.

Posted By: pmbuko Re: Problem with M60s? - 03/11/05 08:55 PM
Photoshop: the creator of nightmares.
Posted By: richeydog Re: Problem with M60s? - 03/12/05 01:42 AM
Mark could really have some fun with the "are you brave enough to reveal your face" thread.
Posted By: bray Re: Problem with M60s? - 03/12/05 02:02 AM
sshhhh!
© Axiom Message Boards