Axiom Home Page
Posted By: mamzh question about tube amp - 03/31/05 08:55 PM
I read the thread "Suggestions & ideas for 2.1 w/80s ...", which talked about tube amp a lot. It makes me want to get one. At the price range about $1k, I found a lot positive review about PrimaLuna ProLogue one, but how about Onix SP3. It's hard to find online reviews about it. Personally, I think it has better looking than PrimaLuna.
Any information and recommandation about tube amp are appreciated.

My currenct system is:
Speaker: M60
Player: HK DVD/CD player
Receiver: HK AVR225
Currently, I listen to two-channel music through my surround system.
Thanks a lot!
Posted By: Stimpy1 Re: question about tube amp - 04/04/05 05:26 AM
Go to 6moons.com. They just did a review of the Onix amp in March. I don't think you can go wrong with either. But the ONIX (as pictured at 6moons) sure puts the Primaluna to shame in the looks department.

I'm somewhat familiar with the Axiom sound with tubes. I say somewhat because I have a pair of Mzeroti's (Micromonitors) with a sub in one of my systems. It probably has similar tonal characteristics (Axiom house sound) to the M60 although not nearly up to the same level.

I did run the Axioms (along with sub) in my main system for about a month when I was using a Jolida 202A tube amp. Tubes really seem to be a excellent match with Axiom.

As far as tube amps go in general they are perty easy to setup. As in the case of either of those amps to set it up all you need is a multimeter and a set of precision screwdrivers. You can get both at Radio Shack for under
$20.

Bias the amp (large tubes) with the speakers connected. Takes about 15 minutes. Run the amp for an hour then chech to make sure the bias is still within the parameters designated in the instructions and your good to go for several years. Real easy even for someone like me how is mechanically challenged.

BW Maxx
Posted By: mamzh Re: question about tube amp - 04/06/05 07:30 AM
Thank you very much! I may go for PrimaLuna ProLogue Two. I prefer black color, but SP3 only has silver.

© Axiom Message Boards