Axiom Home Page
Posted By: 2x6spds Want to Try Super Tube Sound for $20? - 04/18/05 05:52 AM
You think I'm joking, right? Some have followed the discussions about tube amps - I have one, and you have heard the detractors howling - you know the folks who know everything but hear nothing ... well, I found the answer - a solid state amp which sounds as good as most tube amps, a solid state amp which will knock the socks off a tubie with great specs up to about 10 wpc, a digital amp which costs about $20-40. Yes, that's right, and I'm not kidding.

I got mine and so I can now tell you about the Sonic Impact T-Amp. I paid $20 each and picked up 10 of them. I got a 3 amp 13.8 volt power supply from Radio Shack (otherwise it works on AA batteries), moved the Kenwood KA9100 and a pair of Dahlquist DQM905s out of the way, stood up a pair of 93db efficient Michaura M55s (very similar to the M22) same 5.25" aluminum driver and the 3/4" Titanium tweeter from the Merak line of speakers and the former Axiom - love this speaker), hooked up my15 year old JVC CD player, and holy samolies, the little M55s with the T-Amp just blew away the best garage system I'd ever heard. It is definitely on par with the Antique Sound Labs MG S1 15DT as to sound. The ASL is a bit sweeter, but this T-Amp is a JOKE!!! BUY ONE!!

PS I own no stock or have any interest in the manufacturer, distributor or have anything to do with Sonic Impact or the T Amp except for having gotten mine and picking my ass off the floor in giddy disbelief.

Friends, this thing is great. Go and enjoy. This is not a belated April Fools Joke. This is the real deal.
Posted By: NeverHappy Re: Want to Try Super Tube Sound for $20? - 04/18/05 06:04 AM
I hear ya and I know your not joking. I have had 2 for a little over 2 months!

http://www.6moons.com/audioreviews/sonicimpact/t.html
Posted By: St_PatGuy Re: Want to Try Super Tube Sound for $20? - 04/18/05 06:28 AM
Okay, I just recently picked up an integrated tube amp, but at forty dollars how can I not pass this up? Looking into it. . .
Posted By: 2x6spds Re: Want to Try Super Tube Sound for $20? - 04/18/05 06:56 AM
Go online, get a good power supply (+3 amps, no more than 14V output), get your soldering iron out ... pick up some "L" DC power plugs, solder one to the end of some speaker wire ( I used silver Cardas, of course), get yourself a Radio Shack 1 x 1/8" (earphone jack size) male into 2 RCA male plugs ... and get gobsmacked, giddy with laughing, and then cry about all your expensive amps!!!

I picked up 10, I'm going to put together a nice 6 channel HT system using these things with some extra M55s. These things are awesome as long as you keep the output below 11 watts (15 wpc max). Your M3s will SING!

Can't believe my ears!!
Posted By: St_PatGuy Re: Want to Try Super Tube Sound for $20? - 04/18/05 07:27 AM
This could turn into the ultimate DIY project. Talk about bang for your buck.
Posted By: AdamP88 Re: Want to Try Super Tube Sound for $20? - 04/18/05 08:46 AM
Wow - perhaps I may start a little speaker system sooner than I thought. I've already got a preamp - maybe coupled with this and a pair of M3s...hmmmm...

*Edit: I just ordered one of these. Lets see how they do with the M22s, Peter.
Posted By: F107plus5 Re: Want to Try Super Tube Sound for $20? - 04/18/05 12:22 PM
Oh, double great, now I have to move the moose from the fireplace to the back wall, AND the M3s From the back wall to a dedicated listening room-is there no end to this?
Posted By: bridgman Re: Want to Try Super Tube Sound for $20? - 04/18/05 12:43 PM
Some friends of mine moved out of the city to a hobby farm about 40 miles northwest and they have various farm animals (the goat mostly) wandering through the house pretty much at will. Apart from offering a "your plate is always clean" service I guess they offer a variety of HF dampening scenarios as well.

I guess it's too late to take the moose to the vet ?
Posted By: F107plus5 Re: Want to Try Super Tube Sound for $20? - 04/18/05 01:23 PM
Maybe it's an urban legend, but do goats really eat stuffed Moose heads?(the vet is also a taxidemist-extra income, fast service)

We have four grandkids living with us, so empty plates really isn't a problem. (Hey, maybe I could train the kids to stand or sit in strategic locations during serious listening sessons to approximate a wandering goat!!) Including one to hold the pillow behind my head!
Posted By: bigjohn Re: Want to Try Super Tube Sound for $20? - 04/18/05 01:33 PM
goats eat ANYTHING!!

they dont care. they are filthy little animals, with little to no intelligence. there is usually one smart one in a group of 15-20, and they just follow him. but, they are very cute babies..

bigjohn
Posted By: F107plus5 Re: Want to Try Super Tube Sound for $20? - 04/18/05 01:41 PM
Ok, got it: Paragraph #1, the goat must be kept away from the moose.

Para #2, Oh, you have grandkids, too?

(Woah!! Better not let my grandkids read that!!!!) Only kiddin' of course!
Rich.
Hmmm, that might be an interesting project go w/ the vintage Pioneer turntable I got this weekend...

I listened to some old R&B vinyl I had. Once again, the detailed sound Axioms makes really bad vinyl pressings/recordings sound really bad. But good recordings, like one of my Whispers albums, sounds fantastic. Sound is a little thin and veiled, but I think that's due to the cartridge, and I have a new Ortofon on order. Dangit, and I thought I was done w/ my system...
Posted By: 2x6spds Re: Want to Try Super Tube Sound for $20? - 04/18/05 06:20 PM
I'm thinking of building a Bottlehead Foreplay preamp kit for the T-Amp. The preamp kits with all upgrades runs about $320. The amp goes for $20. The amp costs less than the "gold RCA jack" upgrade for the preamp. Oh well, as Axiom fans know all to well, cost and sound quality are decoupled values.

Posted By: player8 Re: Want to Try Super Tube Sound for $20? - 04/18/05 08:04 PM
You've piqued my interest. What all do I need besides the amp to use them? A preamp and a digital source? My Denon doesn't have preouts so I can't use that. What would suggestions of things I need and their costs? Where can I find them?
Posted By: PaulM Re: Want to Try Super Tube Sound for $20? - 04/18/05 09:53 PM
Hmm. A T-amp, an Ipod, M3's in the back and a power inverter into the lighter might make for a good system in the minivan. Bet the kids would love it. Not sure about my SO.

Did you see those wild speakers in the link to the T-amp review ? They are a work of ...
Posted By: 2x6spds Re: Want to Try Super Tube Sound for $20? - 04/18/05 10:39 PM
Hi Player8

All you need is the T-Amp, a pair of efficient speakers (M3s would be swell) and a CD player or IPOD. The T Amp's input jack is a 1/8" earphone mini, so you can get an adaptor - 1/8" male splitting into 2 male RCA plugs (Radio Shack has them for a couple of bucks) if you want to use a full size CD player, or just use the cable supplied if you want to use a walkman, discman or IPOD. You can run the T Amp off of 8 AA batteries or spring for a DC power converter. It's max is 15 watts per channel and if you give it more than 14 volts it'll fry, so you want a 3 amp 14 volt power supply and an "L" DC power plug which you just solder to some hook up wire - connect the exposed wire ends to the power supply and the "L" plug into the T Amp. The T Amp has a volume control so - that's all you need unless you want to use multiple sources or a phono.

I've taken everyone who has come by the past few days into the garage and the uniform reaction is "Holy Sh*t!"
Posted By: pmbuko Re: Want to Try Super Tube Sound for $20? - 04/18/05 10:59 PM
But isn't it a different garage now?

Just yanking your chain. I can't wait for my brother's unit to arrive. Should be fun! (My onkyo has no pre-outs, so I'll have to use a cable straight from the CD player to get a signal to the amp.)
Posted By: 2x6spds Re: Want to Try Super Tube Sound for $20? - 04/18/05 11:14 PM
Yes, and the acoustics are not as good in the new garage as they were in the old.

That's what I'm doing at this point - I'm using that earphone jack to twin RCA jack adapter and hooking the CDP straight into the T Amp. That's the shortest and cleanest signal path possible.
Posted By: Seabear Re: Want to Try Super Tube Sound for $20? - 04/19/05 12:32 PM
Well, you got me.
Just ordered one from Target.
Who Knew???
This'll keep me from having to run speaker wire back into the bedroom, and we'll also be able to take it out in the backyard for when we are putzing around out there.
I'll just run my little iRiver CD player off of it.
Cool.
TjB

Posted By: koiman Re: Want to Try Super Tube Sound for $20? - 04/19/05 03:20 PM
2x6 Speeds,
I just finished building the new Foreplay III and it sounds so sweet, I also have a Foreplay 2 that I have had for about a year these are a fun project and you really get a feeling of saisfaction by doing it yourself. Try one..
Posted By: 2x6spds Re: Want to Try Super Tube Sound for $20? - 04/20/05 04:01 PM
Koiman, after my next round of trials, I will build one of those fire bottle preamps! I think the combination of a good tube preamp and the T-Amp will be absolute music magic.

The garage is the only place in the house I'm allowed to smoke my pipe, so I'm spending some quality time at my garage desk, where the new T Amp, and the rest of the garage set up is located. Got the jazz going, Loreena McKennett's 'Elemental,' Tony,Frank and Dean, Diana Krall, Norah Jones, Jewkes ... UNBELIEVABLE!

I can't get over how good this wee amp sounds. It is fantastic!
Posted By: Seabear Re: Want to Try Super Tube Sound for $20? - 04/24/05 01:16 AM
Well, I got mine today, and I'll tell ya' this is pretty amazing.
I don't know what tube amps sound like, but I can certainly tell you that this does not sound like $40.

Posted By: pmbuko Re: Want to Try Super Tube Sound for $20? - 04/24/05 01:35 AM
Well, since you paid about $40, it does sound like 40. Makes you think twice about spending more, don't it?

(I'm still waiting for my brother's amp to arrive.)
Posted By: Ken.C Re: Want to Try Super Tube Sound for $20? - 04/24/05 01:38 AM
But if it's $40, how can it possibly compare to the $2000 amps out there? It must be inferior by logic in other active threads around here...

Oops, I really shouldn't do this... <evil grin>
Posted By: Seabear Re: Want to Try Super Tube Sound for $20? - 04/24/05 01:55 AM
Nice, you made your brother buy one instead of kicking yourself?
The least you can do is buy the batteries!

How about this;
It dosen't sound like anything audio-related I've ever spent $40 on.
Wait, I've never spent (just) $40 on anything audio.
Ummm,
Where do we get in line for the torches and pitchforks before we storm the Audio Castles?
Posted By: 2x6spds Re: Want to Try Super Tube Sound for $20? - 04/24/05 04:25 PM
It's amazing, isn't it? What speakers are you running with your T-Amp, seabear? BTW, if you want to unleash the T Amp's music potential, get a good power converter (minimum 3 amps, maximum 14 volts) and enjoy! The AA batteries don't have enough in them to really get the thing singing.

I'm thinking of doing a project amp based on the T Amp. The project will involve:

1. Building a copper lined wood cabinet
2. Alps attenuator
3. V cap capacitors
4. Decent non-ferrous speaker terminal
5. RCA input panel

I don't think I could get away with bringing a Sears DieHard into the house, so a nice AC/DC power converter.

I have my eye on a beautiful cigar humidor which has been lying around. Could be fun!
Posted By: Seabear Re: Want to Try Super Tube Sound for $20? - 04/24/05 07:53 PM
I pulled my M2i's down from on top of the audio shelf and plugged them in. They sound amazing. First thing my fiance said was "You gotta be sh****n' me."
I also rooted around in an old electrical orphan drawer and found a power supply that had a plug that fits, and was using that last night. I'll have to check and see to make sure that it is not too much juice for it.

Funny you had the same thought on the box.
First thing I thought of was building some sort of box/carrier for the whole thing, something to hold the power converters for the amp and iRiver CD player, the amp, the player and the cables. With just the speaker wires and one power cord coming out the back.
I've not run it very long. Any issues with heat while shut in a box like that?
What a great find!
THANKS!

Posted By: 2x6spds Re: Want to Try Super Tube Sound for $20? - 04/24/05 08:27 PM
Might want to look at something like this in place of a wall wart

Posted By: Seabear Re: Want to Try Super Tube Sound for $20? - 04/24/05 10:15 PM
and what might a pretty little box like that go for?

Posted By: 2x6spds Re: Want to Try Super Tube Sound for $20? - 04/24/05 10:27 PM
About $25.00. Check out etronics, HAM and CB online supply houses. You can probably find one for about $22.

I'd like to hear how they sound with your M60s!
Posted By: Seabear Re: Want to Try Super Tube Sound for $20? - 04/24/05 10:28 PM
Hey, Wait a second.
That power supply is $20!
This whole audiophile thing is getting way out of control.
Next thing I know I'm going to be going down to Home Depot for that thick 12 gauge stuff to replace the free stuff I had lying around in the closet.
Sheeesh!

Posted By: 2x6spds Re: Want to Try Super Tube Sound for $20? - 04/24/05 10:53 PM
Hey! It's an expensive habit. $20 here, $20 there, some Axiom speakers, and pretty soon you're talking real money.
Posted By: Seabear Re: Want to Try Super Tube Sound for $20? - 04/25/05 03:00 AM
Loving Life!

What a hoot

TjB

Posted By: samandnoah Re: Want to Try Super Tube Sound for $20? - 04/25/05 09:34 PM
2x6--

First, thanks for bringing this to everyone's attention here. Awesome info.

I'm about as mechanically/electrically inept as one can be, so pls pardon the ignorant/basic questions. I am dying to try this thing out.

What is an "L" DC power plug? Any links to a picture of one so I can understand?

Using the photo of the Pyramid power supply, were you saying that you take the bare wire & connect it to the red/black terminals, and the other end of those wires are soldered to this "L" plug? And the plug then fits into the amp?

Thanks!
Rich
Posted By: 2x6spds Re: Want to Try Super Tube Sound for $20? - 04/26/05 12:37 AM
Yes samandnoah, you solder the "L" type power plug to the stripped, bare ends of some hookup wire. The "L" plug is a male jack like you see on those wall wart power converters (cell phone chargers, chargers for power drills, etc.) that is inserted into the female power receptical in the T Amp. Power plugs come in different diameters, that's why some wall warts won't fit other electrical gizmos. You use an AC/DC power converter because you need more amps than most wall warts can give you. The converter takes the 120 volts from the outlet and converts it to 13.8 volts and 4 amps. Anyway, using the right size power plug allows you to connect the converter (power supply) to the T Amp, which will only take an "L" sized power plug.

I didn't wait for the Pyramid, so I grabbed one from Radio Shack for about $45 or so but it looks like the Pyramid except it's smaller and probably not as good.

http://www.globtek.com/html/outputPlugCord.htm
Posted By: AdamP88 Re: Want to Try Super Tube Sound for $20? - 04/26/05 02:41 AM
Well I don't know if I'd go so far as to call it super tube sound, but this puny little thing actually works!

Just received it today (in a package so small and light it seemed they forgot to send the actual product with it) and after a search for some small bare speaker wire was able to hook it up to Peter's M22s using a cd walkman for a source. Although, when Peter and I first saw just how small it really is, our first reaction was "no freaking way this thing'll work."

It works! I initially had it hooked up to my headphone amp (A gilmore dynamic V2) with the gilmore functioning as a preamp, and although that gave a lot more headroom, I found I actually preferred the sound straight out of the T-amp - it sounded noticeably more full. In fact, both Peter and I couldn't really find any fault with it - nothing sounded like it was missing and despite the low wattage, nothing sounded thin or strained, even when at max volume, which admittedly isn't that loud - but is a bit above my normal listening level (sorry Dennis, I don't think this amp is for you). This would however be a great amp for a bedroom system.

Immediately after we'd finished listening to the t-amp I hooked the M22s back up to Peter's receiver and compared, and found that I preferred the Onkyo - it sounded more effortless and also a little better in the bass. But take into account that I was using an entirely different (and better) source, and Peter's Onkyo (obviously) has a lot more power. Might be an apples and oranges thing.

For $20, though, this is really a no brainer for anyone interested in building a small system. I'm strongly considering getting some M3s and using them with the t-amp as my computer stereo system. Thanks for the heads up, 2x6!
Posted By: pmbuko Re: Want to Try Super Tube Sound for $20? - 04/26/05 04:00 AM
I agree with Adam's assessment, and here are a couple pics.

Posted By: 2x6spds Re: Want to Try Super Tube Sound for $20? - 04/26/05 04:45 AM
The T Amp is flat to 10 wpc output. My Antique Sound Labs MG S1 15DT puts out 5 wpc. When I had a pair of M22s, and M3s, I noticed that the ASL didn't drive the M22s nearly as well as the M3s. I use a pair of Michaura M55s with my T Amp. The Michauras are very much like the M22s, same 5.25" drivers, but use the 3/4" titanium tweeter from the M0-M1 and previous M2 (and Merak speakers as well). The M55s are much easier to drive than the M22s despite the very similar driver kit. I wouldn't judge the T-Amp based on the M22s, I think the M3s would be a mcuh better match.

Also, I think you need an external power supply to get these things up and singing. AA batteries just don't have the amps to get this thing going.
Can anybody post a link to where I could get one. I'm in Canada so Target isn't an option for me.

Posted By: 2x6spds Re: Want to Try Super Tube Sound for $20? - 04/26/05 05:32 PM
pc mall and partsexpress.com have them. You might want to google and see who'll ship and whose price is best.
Posted By: Yates28 Re: Want to Try Super Tube Sound for $20? - 04/26/05 05:50 PM
ecost has them as well, 19.95 US, and they do border free shopping for Canadians, when you go through the borderfree checkout on their website everything is calculated so you know exactly how much you are paying upfront.

Al
Well E-cost is usually good, but $25.55 CDN for shipping, $14.74 for handling(?) plus GST works out to a cool, $70.70 CDN. That's just crazy!
Posted By: Riffman Re: Want to Try Super Tube Sound for $20? - 04/26/05 07:59 PM
I got mine last week and had been trying to get one for several months. Got it from partsexpress.

The amp lives up to the hype. It's great. I used it upstairs with my old Klipsch bookshelves (90db sensitivity) and my old Technics cd player. So far, I have only listened with batteries. Wish I had M22s to use with this thing. The bass is really full and low and I hear some 'tubey bloom'. There is a soundstage (compared to nil soundstage with the 8 year old Technics receiver I was using).

I'm going to try and get another one and some cheapie speakers for the back deck for this summer. Only thing that will get me inside the house are the M60s!

btw, anyone have any recommendations on some real cheap speakers for outdoors?
Posted By: Yates28 Re: Want to Try Super Tube Sound for $20? - 04/26/05 10:33 PM
Agreed!
Posted By: samandnoah Re: Want to Try Super Tube Sound for $20? - 04/27/05 01:05 AM
Thanks for your help 2x7spds!

One more question: why not just buy a power cord with a wall wart, and be done with it? Am I missing some advantage/disadvantage (other than a big fat wall wart)?

Thanks again.

Rich
Posted By: 2x6spds Re: Want to Try Super Tube Sound for $20? - 04/27/05 01:31 AM
Watts = Amps * Volts.

15 watts per channel = 30 watts = X * 14 volts
30W/14V = 2.1 Amps.

So, I like to have a bit extra, so, I want at least a 3 amp 14 volt power supply. If you can find a wall wart which meets these requirements, go for it. I like the idea of a shielded (metal case) converter/power supply.
Posted By: pmbuko Re: Want to Try Super Tube Sound for $20? - 04/27/05 01:39 AM
Since this is a digital amp, I don't believe it's affected (soundwise) by unclean power in the same way analog amps (perhaps) are.
Posted By: Seabear Re: Want to Try Super Tube Sound for $20? - 04/27/05 12:14 PM
Lorenzo,
is there a reason why one of us could not just buy one here for you and ship it up?
I'll volunteer!
TjB

I appreciate the offer Seabear, very nice of you but it won't kill me to not get one so that's ok. As usual all the regulars on this forum are the best!!!
Posted By: nautec Re: Want to Try Super Tube Sound for $20? - 04/28/05 07:28 PM
So I was going to install some in ceiling speakers and power them with this sonic amp when I watch tv. I don't want to have to power up my whole system just to watch tv. This would do the job right?
Read the Axiom AudioFile Newsletter - April 2005 for comments on in-wall speakers.
Posted By: pmbuko Re: Want to Try Super Tube Sound for $20? - 04/28/05 08:36 PM
If you plan on useing them for TV only, I see no problem whatsoever in going with in-wall speakers. After all, they're bound to sound better than most TV's built-in speakers.
Posted By: BrenR Re: Want to Try Super Tube Sound for $20? - 04/28/05 09:25 PM
In reply to:

I don't want to have to power up my whole system just to watch tv.

Why does this give me a mental picture of having to wake up the monkey on the bicycle generator, the roof opening to allow the lightning collector to be elevated and then the dramatic throwing of a radically oversized knife switch?

Bren R.
Posted By: Ken.C Re: Want to Try Super Tube Sound for $20? - 04/28/05 09:31 PM
I could go for a power up sequence like that... That would be sweet.
Posted By: RickF Re: Want to Try Super Tube Sound for $20? - 04/28/05 09:53 PM
In reply to:

Why does this give me a mental picture of having to wake up the monkey on the bicycle generator, the roof opening to allow the lightning collector to be elevated and then the dramatic throwing of a radically oversized knife switch?

Bren R.

This vividly reminds me of something I saw on the E! channel (I believe that's where it was) awhile back of whatever that blonde headed actors name during an interview of him on his balcony peddling away on a bicycle/generator to charge up the batteries for his hybrid automobile. Whatever!
Posted By: 2x6spds Re: Want to Try Super Tube Sound for $20? - 04/28/05 09:56 PM

Posted By: pmbuko Re: Want to Try Super Tube Sound for $20? - 04/28/05 10:00 PM
Were any animals harmed in the making of that clip?
Posted By: 2x6spds Re: Want to Try Super Tube Sound for $20? - 04/28/05 10:01 PM
Severely. However, you must take your complaint to sir penguin.
Posted By: nautec Re: Want to Try Super Tube Sound for $20? - 04/28/05 11:19 PM
Yeah for stuff like news and sports, i don't really want to waste electrcity on the amp powering the 5.1 and stuff. I was just looking for something better than tv speakers. Some tv's nowadays don't even have speakers built it so I don't need to hear the local news anchor through the M60's.

So having these in ceiling speakers powered by the Sonic amp thing would be ideal I think.
Posted By: pmbuko Re: Want to Try Super Tube Sound for $20? - 04/28/05 11:28 PM
If you don't mind the sound coming from the ceiling, then then it's a pefect solution.
Posted By: BrenR Re: Want to Try Super Tube Sound for $20? - 04/29/05 04:02 AM
2x6 - I was hoping for at least Calvin peeing on something!

Bren R.
Posted By: 2x6spds Re: Want to Try Super Tube Sound for $20? - 04/29/05 05:40 AM
Peace on ya. Who's Calvin?
Posted By: Ken.C Re: Want to Try Super Tube Sound for $20? - 04/29/05 05:42 AM
Calvin, of Calvin and Hobbes, the marvelous cartoon by Bill Watterson. Who, incidentally, is royally ticked at those little images of Calvin peeing on things. They're not his idea, they're not his royalties, and they're not in the spirit of the cartoon.
Posted By: pmbuko Re: Want to Try Super Tube Sound for $20? - 04/29/05 06:36 AM
Well, he has a point. I never saw Ford or Chevy mentioned in any of his cartoons...
Posted By: bridgman Re: Want to Try Super Tube Sound for $20? - 04/29/05 11:57 AM
Oh come on... Calvin must be in his late 20s by now, I'm sure he has a drivers license and has some strong opinions about Ford or Chevy or both.

Wonder how he turned out ? What do you figure, maybe ended up in advertising or something ?
Posted By: BrenR Re: Want to Try Super Tube Sound for $20? - 04/29/05 04:45 PM
I've been meaning to get a decal cut for bro of Eugene the Jeep from the Popeye comics peeing on Calvin.

Bren R.
doesn't really look like peeing, so much as "prison love"...
Posted By: snakeyes Re: Want to Try Super Tube Sound for $20? - 04/29/05 05:53 PM
Bren, does he drive a jeep?

Posted By: F107plus5 Re: Want to Try Super Tube Sound for $20? - 04/29/05 06:02 PM
I have, I have!

Last of the AMCs; made, like my Axioms; in Canada!!
Posted By: BrenR Re: Want to Try Super Tube Sound for $20? - 04/29/05 07:12 PM
In reply to:

Bren, does he drive a jeep?

Why, yes, that was kind of the crux of the joke.

Bro's got a black Cherokee... before that it was a red Cherokee. Since he always drives it to shoots, and it invariably ends up in a shot at some point, we joke that it's going to have to sign an Screen Actors Guild card.

Bren R.
Posted By: snakeyes Re: Want to Try Super Tube Sound for $20? - 04/29/05 08:46 PM
i thought that was the joke and was kindof asking tongue in cheek. but i really like that idea i hate those calvin decals i think i will buy a jeep just to steel your idea. lol
Posted By: zathras Re: Want to Try Super Tube Sound for $20? - 05/09/05 01:00 PM
What a great thread! You folks have convinced me to get the T-Amp. I'll probably get it from Parts Express as they had no problems in shipping a previous order to South Africa.
Just a few questions:
I'm currently using just bare speaker wire at the binding posts on my M22's, which are connected to my receiver.
I'm thinking of running new speaker wire from the T-amp to the M22, and terminating the M22 end of the T-amp's speaker wire with banana plugs.
Will the input signal from the T-amp still get to the M22, even if I've already got bare speaker wire (from my receiver) in the binding post? Or do I have to buy stackable banana plugs and use banana plugs for both the receiver and the T-amp wire at the M22 end?
Posted By: Ajax Re: Want to Try Super Tube Sound for $20? - 05/09/05 02:22 PM
If I understand what you mean, and if I remember correctly (and somebody will have to corroborate this), it is NOT A GOOD IDEA to hook two amplifiers to one set of speakers at the same time. Don't do it until somebody with more knowledge than I says it's OK to do so. You'll probably need some sort of a switch box to connect two amps to one set of speakers.
Posted By: zathras Re: Want to Try Super Tube Sound for $20? - 05/09/05 02:51 PM
Ajax, thanks for taking the time to answer. Only 1 of the amplifiers would be powering the speakers at any given time.
Why else would stackable banana plugs plugs be invented if this wasn't a possibility.

Oh Frell! I just tried ordering and Parts Express requires a minimum $100 dollar amount for an international order.
Damn, got all excited for nothing.

Posted By: Ken.C Re: Want to Try Super Tube Sound for $20? - 05/09/05 03:47 PM
I concur with Jack. Even if you're only powering one at a time, current is still going to be flowing through both cables. Stackable banana plugs, as I understand it, are often used for adding other speakers to the same speaker output, such as running a pair of center speakers off of one center amp.
Posted By: bigjohn Re: Want to Try Super Tube Sound for $20? - 05/09/05 03:58 PM
zathras- who is the 'new' female on your avatar. is she an actress or model or something.. i dont recognize her..?

and where are you "international". i love to know where folks are from.

bigjohn
Posted By: zathras Re: Want to Try Super Tube Sound for $20? - 05/09/05 04:09 PM
bigjohn, my avatar is the delectable Indian hottie Bipasha Basu. She's a model and Bollywood actress. In terms of sex appeal, I find her much more desirable than the other Bollywood actress everone seems to favour, former Miss World Aishwarya Rai (seen recently in Bride and Prejudice).

I'm from Durban, South Africa.
And I've seen enough US tv to guess that you're a proud Texan.

Thanks for the advice on the stackable banana plugs everyone.
Posted By: Ajax Re: Want to Try Super Tube Sound for $20? - 05/09/05 06:13 PM
Well, as Ken said, and drawing on some caveat I ran across long ago, if you have two amps connected to one set of speakers, even with one of them off, the current from the one that is on, is going into the speakers and then back down the other set of speaker wire to the speaker outputs of the other amp, and I think current flowing INto an OUTput is a "no no." I do hope that someone who knows what they're talking about will chime in here (No offense meant, Ken. You're right about the function of stacking bananas. )
Posted By: pmbuko Re: Want to Try Super Tube Sound for $20? - 05/09/05 06:20 PM
In reply to:

stacking bananas

That sounds like something out of spiffnme's "movie" collection...
Posted By: Ajax Re: Want to Try Super Tube Sound for $20? - 05/09/05 06:25 PM
EEEEEEEEEEWWWWWWWW!
Posted By: bigjohn Re: Want to Try Super Tube Sound for $20? - 05/09/05 06:29 PM
In reply to:

spiffnme's "movie" collection

i dont find that funny at al.... OK, yes i do..

ya know, i bet craig has a bathroom reader chock full of hetero jokes that he is just gonna unleash on us one day. we keep pushing him like this, the guy is liable to crack!!

jeff foxworthy style...
YOU might be a hetero if.......

..you have less than 3 bee-gee's cd's in your collection.
..the word "fabulous" is not in your daily vocabulary.
..the news of a Cher and Prince concert tour doesnt make you pass out with excitement..

did someone say bananas?? its time for lunch..

bigjohn
Posted By: BethR Re: Want to Try Super Tube Sound for $20? - 05/10/05 07:52 AM
In reply to:

I'm from Durban, South Africa.

Yes, but are you the one who was, the one who is, or the one who will be?

B5 4EVR!!!
Posted By: BethR Re: Want to Try Super Tube Sound for $20? - 05/10/05 08:13 AM
In reply to:

I do hope that someone who knows what they're talking about will chime in here

Just from basic electical circuits theory, by adding additional elements to the circuit, you're changing the load... it won't remain 8 ohms. stacked bananas parallel the load, so the load appears lower from the point of view of the driver. Someone mentioned the example of one amp driving two centers... this appears to the the amp as a single equivalent load of half the original impedance (assuming both centers are matched... 2 parallel 8 ohm speakers look like a single 4 ohm speaker).

Additionally, when there's two active drivers on one load (2 amps, one speaker), unless there's a perfect match of voltage between the two drivers, one will source current and the other will sink current. This may not be an issue if the amp was designed to handle it. Was your amp designed to handle it? If you can't absolutely say "yes", I'd go on the side of caution and not drive both of them into one speaker.

OTOH, My M60s have two sets of banana sockets. They're tied together with metal straps. You can use two amps on this speaker by removing the straps and then each amp drives one set of banana sockets. Internally, they're isolated from each other so there's no current flowing between the amps. It's really that each amp drives its own speaker, but these speakers share a cabinet.

Now we leave my area of expertise and get into yours.

What's the advantage of using two amps on a single speaker? Is it just to get a large amplitude (volume)? I'm not sure of my power ratings, but my amp can drive the M60s, QS8's and VP100 well enough to more than fill my room. Why do I need more than that?

By adding more power capabilities, but listening at the same volume, you'd stay away from the maximum power that the amp is capabile of delivering. Is there less distortion when staying away from the maximum power level? I've seen that distortion in old (like 1940s) amps, but I wouldn't think it would be as prevalent in modern amps. Is it?

Enjoy!
Posted By: 2x6spds Re: Want to Try Super Tube Sound for $20? - 05/10/05 02:34 PM
I set up one of the T-Amps with the Ah! Njoe Tjoeb CDP driving a pair of M22 like Michaura M55s wired through a Velodyne CHT 10 subwoofer. UNBELIEVABLE! This little, plastic 15 wpc amp (with Radio Shack 13.8V/3Amp power converter) filled my large family room (cathedral ceiling) with glorious music.

I can't do an A/B with my 5 wpc tube amp because the tubie needs a bit of tech attention after the move and is out of commission.

This T Amp makes music!!

As to stacking amps, why? If you have efficient speakers (Axioms) you don't really need more than 5 wpc to generate substantial volume levels. If you want head whacking volume levels, go with a more powerful amp. These T Amps are pure to about 10 watts output, get a bit strained above that, but 10 wpc into 93 db efficient speakers is LOUD friends.

If you can find one of these T Amps, grab one, or more. They are a hoot!
Posted By: Seabear Re: Want to Try Super Tube Sound for $20? - 05/11/05 12:25 AM
I've had mine for several weeks, and just laugh out loud whenever i turn it on.
This past weekend a buddy who is seriously into the A/V stuff came up for the first time to hear the Axioms and new gear.
He was blown away by the Axioms. It was the first time he had heard them.
Then I set up and turned on the T-Amp with the M2i's.
He was simply staggered. Just kept laughing and laughing.
His wife came into the room, and wanted to know what was going on, and all he could do was point at the T-Amp.
Finally he was able to get out, "It's from Target, and it costs $30!"
I think he is already ordering 5 of them to set up a whole house system for a friend of his wife.
Because of how good this thing is, I am thinking of abandoning the front effects speakers with the Yamaha DSPs and seeing if I can trade my M2i's in on a set of M3i's to set up a bedroom system with the T-Amp.
What a Great, Great Tip this was!
Thanks 2X6!!!

Posted By: pmbuko Re: Want to Try Super Tube Sound for $20? - 05/11/05 01:36 AM
In reply to:

This T Amp makes music!!

I agree that this is a great little amp, but "make music" is quite an exaggeration. An amp is not a musical instrument, nor should it be. This amp amplifies music cleanly, which is especially impressive considering how inexpensive all its components are.
Posted By: 2x6spds Re: Want to Try Super Tube Sound for $20? - 05/11/05 02:41 AM
Come on Pmbucko, you're just a little miffed because the $20 T Amp is better than what you're running, right?

PMB's sour note is probably borne of the false belief that all amps sound the same. They don't. The T Amp is really astonishingly good!
Posted By: pmbuko Re: Want to Try Super Tube Sound for $20? - 05/11/05 04:59 AM
Check back to the initial review my brother (adamp88) posted. Based on a casual A/B session, we both agreed that my Onkyo sounded more open and natural than the T-amp. If the T-amp cost closer to $100 or $200, I don't think I'd recommend it to anyone, as SS amps can be had at that price which provide more power and authority.

I do not tend to make blanket statements, but here's one I'll cop to: all amps do not sound the same. We all agree that tube amps do not sound like SS amps. Digital amps are another breed of SS amp altogether, so until I see some data and statistics, I am not going to state or implicate that they sound the same as other amps.

What I will say is this. By implying that you can hear the difference between amps of like technology (i.e. SS vs SS), you are saying your ears are far finer and more accurate at picking out audio "signatures" than hundereds of inidividuals of wide and various backgrounds who have participated in blind listening tests performed under controlled (read: variables minimized) listening tests.

Are you really that good, or are you allowing other well-known influences to cloud your judgment?
Posted By: BrenR Re: Want to Try Super Tube Sound for $20? - 05/11/05 05:28 AM
In reply to:

Come on Pmbucko, you're just a little miffed because the $20 T Amp is better than what you're running, right?

Nah, I gotta agree with Peter on this one. It's another one of those hyperboles that really undermines believability.

Like "the Sony DXC-D50WS is such an incredible camera it makes your subject look like a professional actor even if they rolled out of the elementary Christmas play!"...

Bren R.
Posted By: 2x6spds Re: Want to Try Super Tube Sound for $20? - 05/11/05 06:03 AM
I didn't know Adam88 was your brother. Did you all run your T Amp off batteries or an AC/DC converter? If you ran it off of 4 AA batteries, I'd guess the Onkyo would sound a bit more natural or open. If you ran the T Amp off a 3+Amp 13.8 volt power supply, I'd be very surprised if the Onk came out on top (assuming you were running some efficient Axiom speakers.)

I've had my share of Onkyo receivers and amplifiers. I had a TSDX (dislex) 797, many M282 2 channel amps, and still have the Big Onk, an M504. The T Amp more than holds its own against all these Onks. Which Onk were you using? Batteries, right?
Posted By: AdamP88 Re: Want to Try Super Tube Sound for $20? - 05/11/05 06:41 AM
In reply to:

PMB's sour note is probably borne of the false belief that all amps sound the same. They don't. The T Amp is really astonishingly good!

Was this juvenile little barb even necessary? Please.

Yes, the t-amp was run off batteries. Did it sound tube-like? No, not really. Actually, if we were to judge tube-like the presence of a warmer, more lush and open sound, than of the two, the Onkyo sounded more tube-like.

I plan on getting a power supply for the t-amp some time (I'm not in a rush) and then I'll see how much it improves. If it indeed does become so much better that it gives the Onkyo a run for the money, I will gladly state it here.

slightly OT, but aren't there some "audiophiles" who claim that battery power gives a more clean, pure sound?
Posted By: 2x6spds Re: Want to Try Super Tube Sound for $20? - 05/11/05 07:05 AM
For that you're going to have to take the Sears Die Hard out of your car and into the living room. Get a converter, it's safer.
Posted By: 2x6spds Re: Want to Try Super Tube Sound for $20? - 05/12/05 09:31 PM

Partsexpress.com has these 5 amp 13.8 volt power supplies for $30.00.

pcmall.com has the T Amp for $20.00.

Posted By: bray Re: Want to Try Super Tube Sound for $20? - 05/13/05 01:23 AM
Quick..... someone loan me fifty bucks.

I sure wish business would pick up so I could spend some money.
Even just a little $$
I have the upgradeitis bug soooo bad. Maybe its good that business is slow.
Posted By: zathras Re: Want to Try Super Tube Sound for $20? - 05/13/05 06:21 AM
BethR,
zathras is sidekick, not hero.

Well the reviews here and elsewhere, have been so positive, that I've ordered 2 T-amps. A buddy also wants one, so we made the $100 Parts Express minimum.

I'm getting a 13.8V/3A power supply locally. Its been recommended here, so I hope it won't fry the 12V T-amp.

One of the main reasons I ordered the T-amp is because I've read people say that Pioneer amps are not "musical" and I'd really like to hear the M22's using something better. I've got the VSX-D812 A/V Receiver. It has pre-outs for all channels. There's something I want to try after I've tested the T-amp in its normal configuration. Take the left speaker RCA pre-out. Split it using a RCA splitter. Then use the Dual RCA jack/3.5mm stereo plug on the other end to send a dual-mono signal into the 1 T-AMP. Hence, I'll be using both channels of the T-amp to power the M22's. I'll just combine the 2 negative wires from the T-amp into 1 banana plug, etc. Do the same for the right speaker.
Now will the power supply be able to handle 2 T-amps?
Posted By: Merkaba Re: Want to Try Super Tube Sound for $20? - 05/16/05 06:57 PM
I've been reading a lot about this amp, and it has gotten a lot of attention from DIY-ers. I'm going to get a project going similar to this one. Maybe do one with better capacitors, resistors and wires later (if I get brave enough). Gonna be a lot of fun.
Posted By: 2x6spds Re: Want to Try Super Tube Sound for $20? - 05/16/05 07:09 PM
I've already upgraded the output jack so that I've got RCA jacks in its place. When I get the time, I'm going to convert a nice wood cigar humidor into a housing for the T Amp's guts.
Posted By: player8 Re: Want to Try Super Tube Sound for $20? - 05/17/05 12:33 AM
Alright, 2X6 has convinced me. Once I get a summer job back home I'm placing my orders. One question though, do you think the amp will sound good paired with the M22's? I figure I will set up the T-amp and my Denon side-by-side and attach banana plugs to the speaker ends of the cables and just switch them out depending on my preference. It won't be too much of a hassle.
Posted By: 2x6spds Re: Want to Try Super Tube Sound for $20? - 05/17/05 01:16 AM
Good question player8. The first Axiom speakers I had were M3Tis. To say they knocked my socks off is an understatement. I liked them better than the $3000 Infinity Composition Overture III speakers I had. I sold the Infinities. I paired the M3s to an ASL 5 wpc SET tube amp. JeezLouize, I could not believe how great this combination sounded, so I ordered a pair of M22Tis. Now, I don't know whether there was a problem with that particular pair or what, but I preferred the M3s. I A/B's the M3s and M22s with my golden eared musician friend, and he agreed. The M22s did not 'open up' with 5 wpc.

So, the T Amp also puts out 5 wpc into 8 ohms. I'd guess based on my tube experience that the M3s might be the better match with the T Amp.

Anyone have a T Amp and both M3s and M22s? I don't have M3s anymore, but I do have a pair of M2s which I will pair with the T Amp sometime this weekend. I'll report back.
Posted By: player8 Re: Want to Try Super Tube Sound for $20? - 05/17/05 05:05 AM
I'd really appreciate your response. I'll have my dad do the soldering and hope to experience a new type of audio nirvana.
Posted By: Riffman Re: Want to Try Super Tube Sound for $20? - 05/17/05 03:16 PM
Here are my thoughts after a month with the t-amp:

1. The T-amp sounds more musical than any low-fi receiver. This is very clear. Comparisons were made to my low-fi Technics and Sony receivers pulled from the attic.

2. The T-amp does indeed color the sound unlike what people have heard before in either tube or ss. If you can deal with this and are interested, then get it. But be warned, it does sound different.

3. The T-amp exhibits a quality that is closer to tubes than ss.

4. I thought the M22s were highly sensitive, allowing the t-amp to drive them properly. I really don't see an issue here. Am I wrong?

5. Would I rather have a NAD C370? Yes. But this thing is approximately $30.
Posted By: player8 Re: Want to Try Super Tube Sound for $20? - 05/18/05 01:14 AM
Thanks Riff. I'd actually prefer this amp to sound more "tube" than solid-state as I've long wanted to experiment with tube electronics and see if it is to my liking.
Posted By: 2x6spds Re: Want to Try Super Tube Sound for $20? - 05/18/05 02:21 AM
Ola Riffman
I don't know if there was a problem with the M22s I had for a very short period of time. Mine just didn't sound right. I've read the reviews and other folks' posts and can only conclude there was a problem with my pair. Axiom handled the matter in grand style, of course, and I ended up with a pair of M50s in their place. The M3Tis I had were super tube friendly speakers. Now, the funny thing is, what I replaced my M3s with are a bunch of Michaura speakers. I use the M55s which have the same driver compliment as the M22s, (exact same drivers), but use the Merak/previous M2, M1, M0, QS4 ... 3/4" titanium tweeter. These things are wonderful with the 5 wpc tubie and wonderful with the T Amp as well.

I modified my M55s with Jensen paper/oil capacitors (really expensive), indulged them with some internal silver speaker wire, and damped them with some acoustic foam from partsexpress. They're good!

Anyway, I can't say that the T Amp colors the sound with these efficient speakers. The M55s are rated at 93db and I relieve the T Amp of low frequency duty by running all the speakers from the line outs of my Velodyne subwoofer.

I agree that the T Amp sounds more tube like than sandy.

I think an A/B comparo between a T Amp driven by external power source and the NAD would be interesting. I wouldn't bet on the NAD.

Anyway, here's an interesting link to a fella who has done some extensive mods to his T Amp, including a nice R2D2 style housing.

site found here:
http://www.michael.mardis.com/sonic/maunakea.htm

a bit more
http://www.michael.mardis.com/sonic/news.htm#sound
Posted By: BrenR Re: Want to Try Super Tube Sound for $20? - 05/18/05 04:20 AM
In reply to:

Anyway, here's an interesting link to a fella who has done some extensive mods to his T Amp, including a nice R2D2 style housing.

Metal housing, hot tube inside... hmm... fill that sucker up with water and it'd be like the EZ-Bake Slow Cooker!

Bren R.
Posted By: Ken.C Re: Want to Try Super Tube Sound for $20? - 05/18/05 04:25 AM
Nope, nope, that's a digital amp. Nice 'n' cool.
Posted By: pmbuko Re: Want to Try Super Tube Sound for $20? - 05/18/05 06:46 PM
That's a nicely done mod. This little amp is great because of its modding potential alone.
Posted By: 2x6spds Re: Want to Try Super Tube Sound for $20? - 05/18/05 10:34 PM
I agree PMB. I'm collecting parts to modify one of my T Amps. I have a beautiful cigar humidor which I will contribute as a house for the guts, a Panasonic EV-J volume control, some vampire female RCA jacks, input jacks, silver wire, woo hoo, I'll be ready to go!

BTW, I pulled out my M2s and the little T Amp drove them just fine. The M2s don't open up the way the Michaura M55s do, but they sound very similar. (not unexpected because they use the same though only a single 5.25" driver.
Posted By: BigWill Re: Want to Try Super Tube Sound for $20? - 05/19/05 02:26 AM
I got a gigando humidor filled with dried out cigars. You could probably fit about 300 of those little amps in that monstrosity.
Posted By: Wid Re: Want to Try Super Tube Sound for $20? - 05/19/05 02:35 AM

Mark,

You do need to fill it once and a while,70 to 72% humidity seems to work well for me.
Posted By: BigWill Re: Want to Try Super Tube Sound for $20? - 05/19/05 02:42 AM
Only if you smoke 'em.
Posted By: Seabear Re: Want to Try Super Tube Sound for $20? - 05/19/05 12:58 PM
The T-AMPhitheater... Keeping the tunes playing while building the Deck...

Hopefully this will not be as large an image as it turned out to be on my hatchet job of a site
Posted By: samandnoah Re: Want to Try Super Tube Sound for $20? - 05/19/05 02:29 PM
Hey Seabear--

Looking good! What are you using as an AC adaptor for the amp? And where did you get it?

Thanks!
Rich
Posted By: Seabear Re: Want to Try Super Tube Sound for $20? - 05/20/05 01:06 PM
just one of those so called Wall Warts, from a battery charger.
I think it is 12.5 volts and 5 amps.
Sounds great!

Posted By: Seabear Re: Want to Try Super Tube Sound for $20? - 05/20/05 06:27 PM
Am I going to hear any noticable improvememnt by going to one of those 13.8 V power sources as oppossed to the 12V wall wart that I am using now?
Is the extra 1.8 volts going to really do anything?

Posted By: 2x6spds Re: Want to Try Super Tube Sound for $20? - 05/20/05 07:50 PM
Seabear

The most important thing is that you're wall wart is NOT putting out more than 13.8 volts. Some, though rated at 12V put out more than 15. The T Amp's chip will go up in a puff of white smoke (bad) if you give it too much juice.

If you have a multi meter you may want to check the output of your wall wart.

BTW, you get a bit more volume with more volts but 13V is just fine.
Posted By: Seabear Re: Want to Try Super Tube Sound for $20? - 05/21/05 12:05 AM
Thanks,
I'll dig it out and check.
Have you looked around the net at what people are doing with these T-Amps?
Pretty amazing stuff.

Posted By: nautec Re: Want to Try Super Tube Sound for $20? - 05/23/05 06:58 PM
Where is a cheap place to purchase wall warts? Radioshack wall warts don't have enough current and the 13.8v converter is $41.99 plus tax. I know that using the T-Amp with two in ceiling MB Quarts 8" drivers, it sounds pretty good. It seems to lack the base but that could be the configuration of just driving the speakers in open air. Will do a perfect job if i just want to have better sound for watching regular tv.

I wish this thing had a remote. Maybe some modding.....
Posted By: nautec Re: Want to Try Super Tube Sound for $20? - 05/23/05 09:52 PM
Ok so I am looking at either a wall wart at 12V 4.5A ($17)
http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?&DID=7&Partnumber=120-1076

or
Power Supply 13.8 V 5A ($30)
http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?&DID=7&Partnumber=120-534

What do you guys think is the best solution for everyday use, like really everyday when I turn on my tv to watch the news and ESPN kinda thing?
Posted By: pmbuko Re: Want to Try Super Tube Sound for $20? - 05/23/05 10:36 PM
Is you're using it to power speakers that you want to use instead of your TV speakers, then go with the wall wart instead of the extra box. Cheaper is better, in this case.
Posted By: 2x6spds Re: Want to Try Super Tube Sound for $20? - 05/23/05 11:04 PM
I'd go with the metal box - more likely quieter, more resistent to RF, more likely to operate at rated voltage. You can find one made by "Pyramid" at most online CB equipment sites for about $25.
Posted By: 2x6spds Re: Want to Try Super Tube Sound for $20? - 05/30/05 01:15 AM
Had Big Will over to the new place for some smoked salmon and bagels, and of course, a little music from the wee T Amp. A bit of George Winston piano (Montana...), Noel Jewkes, Nora Jones and some other jazz pieces, a bit of Jobim and Getz.

I also demoed my new Frankenstein Center Channel Speaker.

He seemed OK with it all ... he didn't take back his cigars ...

BTW, thanks, that was a great, hearty cigar!
Posted By: BigWill Re: Want to Try Super Tube Sound for $20? - 05/31/05 01:17 AM
You callin' me Frankenstein?! I reckon I am big - and I've been to "The Dead" a couple of times...
Posted By: 2x6spds Re: Want to Try Super Tube Sound for $20? - 05/31/05 03:22 AM
No, no, my Merak, Axiom, Reference 3a de Capo mm hybrid ... umm... Frankenstein center channel speaker in my upstairs office. The more I listen to it, the more I love it!

Once again, Merak anti standing wave cabinet, 2 x 6.5" Axiom aluminum drivers, Reference 3a de Capo mm tweeter and cross over, and my secret (but modified) thingie on top.

BigWill is Big, by the way, New York Giants lineman large. I want him on my team.
Posted By: richeydog Re: Want to Try Super Tube Sound for $20? - 05/31/05 04:35 AM
<<BigWill is Big, by the way, New York Giants lineman large. I want him on my team.>>

And I understand there were only two beers in the fridge. That could've been a disaster.
Posted By: bigjohn Re: Want to Try Super Tube Sound for $20? - 05/31/05 01:58 PM
the "BIG" question here is... bigwill, what did you think of the little T-amp..? i have been hearing soooo much about this thing, i figured you might give your impressions of it.

BTW- new york giants lineman is still kinda small.. now if 2x6 would have said you were dallas cowboys lineman kinda big, now that might impress me..

bigjohn
Posted By: bigwill2 Re: Want to Try Super Tube Sound for $20? - 05/31/05 06:36 PM
I'm kinda fat now, but a few years ago... man I was hot! Oh well.

I wouldn't expect that anyone is going to want to rush out and replace their receivers with this little thing. Unlike the actual tube amp that I heard on a previous visit, this T-amp did seem to add something (something easily noticeable) to the music. At least that was my perception.
Posted By: nautec Re: Want to Try Super Tube Sound for $20? - 05/31/05 11:28 PM
Well, i added rca connections and replaced the speaker terminals, and I instantly noticed some clarity in the music. Werid. Add an external power supply and it sounds fantastic. I am thinking about changing the capacitor out later on. I am using the T-Amp to power some MB Quarts in-ceiling speakers for when I want to watch TV. Heck for $20 its a fun toy for my iPod.
Posted By: 2x6spds Re: Want to Try Super Tube Sound for $20? - 06/01/05 12:00 AM
Hi nautec

I've got some RCA connectors in there now, and I'm looking at the caps as well. What speaker terminals did you use? BTW, I think the T Amp sounds fantastic also!
Posted By: nautec Re: Want to Try Super Tube Sound for $20? - 06/01/05 12:05 AM
I used the banana plugs from radioshack. It allowed me to use thicker wire. Since I don't have many options of getting parts locally, that was all i have. The old speaker terminals didn't really "grip" the wire at all and i was forced to use thin 18 gauge wire. Now up to 12 will fit now but 14-16 will be what I will use.
Posted By: samandnoah Re: Want to Try Super Tube Sound for $20? - 06/03/05 05:38 PM
2x6--

I finally ordered a couple of the amps and am waiting for them to arrive. I've got another stupid question about powering them. Looking at the pyramid PS you suggested, I started wondering why use the PS-7KX rated @ 13.8V, 5amp continuous, 7 max? Why not go with another one that has same 13.8v, but higher amperage rating, like 10 amps? I'm assuming that there is some basic electronics reason, but I have absolutely no idea.

Thanks again for all of your help.

Rich
Posted By: 2x6spds Re: Want to Try Super Tube Sound for $20? - 06/03/05 06:13 PM
Hi samandnoah

Watts = Amps * Volts.

15 watts per channel = 30 watts = X * 14 volts
30W/14V = 2.1 Amps.

So, a 3 amp 14 volt power supply will give you a bit extra. Anything more would be unnecessary.
Posted By: JohnK Re: Want to Try Super Tube Sound for $20? - 06/04/05 03:32 AM
Rich, as 2x6 correctly demonstrated, that power supply would be more than adequate. Although manufacturers sometimes indulge in "high current" hype, the amount of current needed in a specific situation is no more than required by God and Dr. Ohm.
Posted By: abenoty Re: Want to Try Super Tube Sound for $20? - 06/04/05 09:11 PM
Very interesting indeed...especially at only 20 bucks. And here is what 500 bucks can do with the same little amp!

http://www.redwineaudio.com
Posted By: richeydog Re: Want to Try Super Tube Sound for $20? - 06/04/05 09:21 PM
http://www.redwineaudio.com
Posted By: nautec Re: Want to Try Super Tube Sound for $20? - 06/06/05 04:50 PM
Do you think the Tamp can handle 12V 7.5Amps? Since I have a ton of Computer power supplies and one of the rails is 12V 7.5A 200W, i was thinking i could use that to feed into the TAmp. But I am not sure if it can handle it. Does anyone know? THanks.
Posted By: 2x6spds Re: Want to Try Super Tube Sound for $20? - 06/06/05 04:56 PM
It's the volts - 12 volts are fine for the T Amp. It doesn't make any difference how many amps are available so long as you provide at least 2.1 amps. If you go over 14 volts you'll fry the T Amp's chip. I would use an independent power supply.

If the T Amp ever drew 7 amps, you'd have a lot of melted, undifferentiated metal, plastic, insulation, bad gasses, and probably a fire.
Posted By: BrenR Re: Want to Try Super Tube Sound for $20? - 06/06/05 05:10 PM
In reply to:

Do you think the Tamp can handle 12V 7.5Amps? Since I have a ton of Computer power supplies and one of the rails is 12V 7.5A 200W, i was thinking i could use that to feed into the TAmp. But I am not sure if it can handle it. Does anyone know? THanks.

Just remember that you need a pretty substantial load for an AT/ATX PS to regulate itself (I found out the hard way building my arcade cabinet - used a spare AT PS to power the coin return lights and fans... even now if one of the #45 lamps in the coin returns burns out, it goes below the minimum load and starts doing funky things with the output voltage)

A good starting point is 10% of rated maximum, so you may find you have to "burn off" a bulb or something to reach your minimum load.

Bren R.
Posted By: nautec Re: Want to Try Super Tube Sound for $20? - 06/06/05 08:54 PM
So that is a negative on using a ATX power supply for the TAmp? TAmps are so hard to come by nowadays that I am not ready to fry one just yet.
Posted By: BrenR Re: Want to Try Super Tube Sound for $20? - 06/06/05 09:01 PM
I really don't know whether or not the load would be enough to regulate voltage (and each PS is different... I tried two before I found a whopping 150W AT that would be stable with two fans (80mm and 60m) and two #45 lamps attached. ATX may be different (just remember to "hold low" the POWER GOOD line on the wiring harness or it won't fire up!) but if the T-Amp isn't tolerant of higher than expected voltage, I wouldn't try it.

My opinion. YOMV.

Bren R.
Posted By: bigjohn Re: Want to Try Super Tube Sound for $20? - 06/06/05 09:25 PM
OH MY GOSH!!!! WHAT HAPPENED TO YOUR FACE BREN!!

take it away, its freakin me out!!

thats scary..

bigjohn
Posted By: BrenR Re: Want to Try Super Tube Sound for $20? - 06/06/05 10:26 PM
That took longer than I thought... it's Peter's son's face on mine... figured I'd post one message with that, see if anyone caught it.

Bren R.
Posted By: pmbuko Re: Want to Try Super Tube Sound for $20? - 06/06/05 11:00 PM
I would retaliate by photoshopping myself into Lisa's face, but I don't have a picture of her.

EDIT:
Ooooh, I didn't mean it like that, really.
Posted By: bigjohn Re: Want to Try Super Tube Sound for $20? - 06/06/05 11:04 PM
In reply to:

Ooooh, I dind't mean it like that

haha... now thats funny!!

bigjohn
Posted By: Merkaba Re: Want to Try Super Tube Sound for $20? - 06/14/05 10:00 PM
For the Canadian wanting to try one of these amps, but not wanting to order from the US: A guy from the Canuck Audio Mark is selling one with adapter for $55 here.

Just thought I'd give a heads up.
Posted By: samandnoah Re: Want to Try Super Tube Sound for $20? - 06/19/05 05:35 PM
2x6--

What do you think of this power supply? Small Power Supply

I know you recommended 2.1 amps, but at 2 amps this little power supply seems to be a bit smaller and is a bit less expensive as well.

Anyone ever try one of these?

Rich

Posted By: 2x6spds Re: Want to Try Super Tube Sound for $20? - 06/19/05 08:03 PM
Looks good samandnoah! From what I've read, sounds like folks who are using great big 12 Volt batteries with a trickle charger are pretty darn happy.
Posted By: samandnoah Re: Want to Try Super Tube Sound for $20? - 06/20/05 01:00 AM
Thanks for the endorsement! I know folks are using batteries, but I keep imagining a car battery on my wife's desk, and that isn't going to fly. Am I misunderstanding?

What appealed about the power source I linked to is that it appears to be fairly small. She's not going to be happy with anything that is large, takes up space, can't be easily moved around on the desk, and has many parts to it.

Take care,
Rich
Posted By: F107plus5 Re: Want to Try Super Tube Sound for $20? - 06/20/05 12:22 PM
Hey!, Here's a thought:

Optima Batteries(and probably others as well)produce a battery(In Designer colors)that is sealed, so no outgassing occurs on charging(Important, as a neighbor lady was killed when a battery on her mobility cart exploded in her home during charging due to outgassing of the battery, accompanied by some errant spark from somewhere-so says the News-apparently she was unable to walk away from the house fire)

But perhaps a "Designer" "Safe" battery wouldn't offend!?

It may not work well in your application, but might give a heads-up for any other readers considering a similar set-up with batteries in the home.

We had one of our boat batteries go "poof", rupture a cell and splatter acid in a relatively confinned space when-oops-we failed to turn off the charger prior to disconnecting it from the battery!

We were younger then! And so was battery technology!!

Still....
Posted By: Merkaba Re: Want to Try Super Tube Sound for $20? - 06/20/05 04:11 PM
My two amps arrived this morning. Ran with the M60's for a bit, and now the M40's. Have some Neil Young going and I am impressed....they're soo friggin' small, yet do a pretty good job right out of the box. It's quite hilarious. I'm using a 12V wall wart, but will get a regulated power supply (I don't want to mess around with a car battery and a trickle charger).

I'll be starting the mods soon enough. Fun!
Posted By: Riffman Re: Want to Try Super Tube Sound for $20? - 06/20/05 06:05 PM
did you run one for each channel? or just one?

I finally used them with M60s yesterday and the thing didn't hold up well with cds that had a lot going on. Simple acoustic singer songwriter stuff sounded great. I used it in battery mode. perhaps they were low as I was using it in a bedroom with Klipsch speakers.

Posted By: pmbuko Re: Want to Try Super Tube Sound for $20? - 06/20/05 08:46 PM
It would be interesting to stress test that little sucker. Hook it up to the most robust power supply you can find, then throw the 1812 Overture (complete with cannons!) at it and see how it holds up.
Posted By: samandnoah Re: Want to Try Super Tube Sound for $20? - 06/20/05 09:42 PM
Merkaba--

Hope you don't mind, but I'm posting some of the links to mods that you were kind enough to put in the M3 speaker thread. I think some of the folks here could have missed it, and I thought these were highly informative. I really, really want to try some of these now that I finally played with my T-amp over the weekend.

Some step-by-step basic mods
Parts and Mods list
Michael Mardis has done a lot with the amp, and he answers questions. A pretty informative site with diagrams, etc.
Class D Forums

Do we want to do a group buy and see if we can save some money on some of the components?

Enjoy.
Rich
Posted By: nautec Re: Want to Try Super Tube Sound for $20? - 06/20/05 11:03 PM
If you can figure out how to interface a remote, then you are a god. Yeah I am lazy. That one guy spent like $155 on parts for the mods and most of the price came it the enclosure. Heck, i'd be in for a group buy. I already made mods to the existing case and I wouldn't mind a nice enclousure and capacitors.
Posted By: Ken.C Re: Want to Try Super Tube Sound for $20? - 06/21/05 12:20 AM
A remote would be sa-weet. That's part of why I'm still debating on the office/Zone 2 system.
Posted By: samandnoah Re: Want to Try Super Tube Sound for $20? - 06/21/05 12:25 AM
Dude, I am no God! In another thread I had to admit I don't even know how to solder! I just want some RCA inputs and binding posts. Oh, OK, and better volume control. The AudioDIY link has lots of cool projects folks have done with this amp.

Rich
Posted By: nautec Re: Want to Try Super Tube Sound for $20? - 06/21/05 12:46 AM
My reply was to everyone not just you
Posted By: samandnoah Re: Want to Try Super Tube Sound for $20? - 06/21/05 01:17 AM
Doh!
Posted By: Merkaba Re: Want to Try Super Tube Sound for $20? - 06/21/05 02:34 PM
@Riffman: Just one, and not at high levels with the 60's (people were sleeping). I later ran the 40's to pretty good levels for short periods, but wanted to take it slow. I will try the 60's again today. My wall wart is only providing 300mA, so hopefully a bigger supply will help with higher volume and control. This is where the mods come in too.

Overall, at normal levels it's pretty good with most things I play. Perfect for a computer or bookshelf system I think. When I plug my NAD back in there's an obvious improvement though. Better control, dynamics, bass. Replacing the T-amps caps is supposed to help a lot in that area.

@samandnoah: Post them wherever you want

@nautec: That would be nice, but I wouldn't know how to do that. You might try using the T as a power amp with a simple pre-amp. People seem to recommend a tube pre, but I'm sure there are affordable SS with remotes going around. In this case, you can either turn the volume on the T all the way up and use the pre for control, or actually wire it directly to the input jacks. A quick search and here is a remote controlled passive pre, the Creek Audio OBH-22. I guess that could work? Not sure...

"The OBH-22 is purely passive and does not introduce any gain or distortion into the signal path. It is therefore suitable to be used as a control pre-amplifier, provided the sensitivity of the power amplifier that is being used is high enough to be driven directly from the source. i.e. CD player or tuner etc."
Posted By: Merkaba Re: Want to Try Super Tube Sound for $20? - 06/24/05 01:22 AM
I noticed my T-amp was getting pretty warm after only a short period of fairly low volume use, so I borrowed my Father's Multimeter to ensure my 12V wall-wart was indeed a 12V. Turns out it's actually putting out closer to 19V....I'm surprised the amp isn't dead.

Check your wall-warts!
Posted By: pmbuko Re: Want to Try Super Tube Sound for $20? - 06/24/05 02:49 AM
Wow. That's some pretty poor quality control.
Posted By: bridgman Re: Want to Try Super Tube Sound for $20? - 06/24/05 03:21 AM
Did you have a load on it when you measured ? Remember that cheap power supplies put out "something vaguely like 12 volts if you draw exactly the right amount of current" while good power supplies put out pretty much exactly 12 volts.

12 volt car / motorcycle batteries, on the other hand, put out 13.8 volts +/- a volt or so depending on whether or not you are charging.
Posted By: Merkaba Re: Want to Try Super Tube Sound for $20? - 06/24/05 06:49 PM
Yes. It's supposedly a universal adapter, so it may have something to do with the switch. It's quite old, and now that I think about it I used it with my first discman, which stopped working. And then my second one, which also stopped working. I forgot all about those until now.
Posted By: nautec Re: Want to Try Super Tube Sound for $20? - 06/25/05 08:24 PM
I checked my Radioshack wall wart and it was outputing 15.3V instead of the 12V advertised. I knew i thought my amp was getting a lot hotter than usual.
Posted By: zathras Re: Want to Try Super Tube Sound for $20? - 07/01/05 05:29 AM
Firstly, a BIG thank you to those who started this thread. I usually lurk on a lot of BBS's but this was the first place I heard about the T-amp. I would've expected the Home Theater Forum to have alerted me of its existence - I guess they're too busy fawning over SVS there.

Next, more of a buying guide for International customers. Thinkgeek keeps the T-amp, but the shipping cost to South Africa was 1.5 times the cost of the T-amp. I eventually ended up getting it from Parts Express. They have a $100 minimum for international orders so I had to get 3 T-amps + a few accessories (a friend took 1 and my big brother is getting a cool new birthday present soon). Now PE have changed to a weird credit card policy. You now have to verify your bank details (which means faxing your previous statement to them) or you have to use Paypal( not available for SA) or direct bank transfer/ money order. Even though I was a returning customer I had to comply. Parcel arrived at my Post office 12 days after shipping, which is pretty fast.

I am really pleased with this product. It is ridiculously tiny! For anyone who's worried its measly 6 watts in my 13' by 15' room make my M22's go really loud. In fact at my normal listening levels I don't turn the volume past 33%. I am running it with a 13.8V regulated power supply. The t-amp reveals a whole lot of detail (maybe it was there before and I didn't notice).

My Pioneer receiver has pre-outs for all channels so I can use it as a pre-amp and bring my subwoofer into play. Mostly I just run straight from my dvd player to the T-amp.

Finally, kudos to axiom's customer service. You can imagine my horror when I was showing off my system to a few friends and then got this weird sparking sound from 1 of my m22's while playing Santana's Soul Sacrifice. Put on a 200-20 Hz test tone and it turned into a constant whine at certain frequencies. Call up axiom and Brent? told me to tighten the woofers down with a hex driver ( allen key ). Problem sorted.
OK, I've heard enough. It's time I bought a few of these puppies!

Anyone know of a power supply that might have two or three outputs without getting into industrial test-bench solutions that would cost what a real tube amp costs?
Posted By: 2x6spds Re: Want to Try Super Tube Sound for $20? - 07/04/05 02:59 PM
Sears Die-Hard with a trickle charger? or 3 Pyramid 13.8V/3A power supplies for ~$20 each?

Here's a site with the Pyramid PS7KX regulated power supply (13.8V/5A) for $22.95:

http://www.vector-audio.com/web/mdl/PS7KX/detail.asp

Here's an ebay site where you can buy-it-now for $19 each
http://stores.ebay.com/AudioBlowouts_Other_W0QQcolZ2QQdirZQ2d1QQftidZ2QQtZkm
Posted By: samandnoah Re: Want to Try Super Tube Sound for $20? - 07/11/05 04:05 PM
I've been away on vacation, but just saw your post. Here is what I'm using. It doesn't quite have the specs of the power supply 2x6 linked to, but it is decent, and seems to be doing an excellent job for me.

Parts Express PS

It's also a little less expensive (that Ebay guy wanted $20 to ship that Pyramid PS!). And if, like me, you don't really want to solder anything, you'll see a detachable mini plug kit on the same page that makes connecting it a breeze.

Good luck!
Rich
Posted By: Merkaba Re: Want to Try Super Tube Sound for $20? - 07/12/05 12:30 AM
Just thought I would post this article for those who have not yet read it. It's a more thorough walk-through of the basic chassis mods. Very much a beginner "tweaking-audiophile" article.

Re-boxing your T-Amp
Posted By: Seabear Re: Want to Try Super Tube Sound for $20? - 07/16/05 12:23 PM
Well, I finally bought one of those Pyramid PS7KX power suppies.
Have not yet hooked it up, but now I'm thinking of getting out the soldering gun and trying some of these other mods as well.
Hmmm...
TjB
© Axiom Message Boards